IGNORED

2018-19 Season - a good year so far?

Hampshire Red

Having sold three of our best / favourite players, lost Corey to injury and started the season with 5 entirely new players at the back, all brand new to the club, what would you have settled for at New Years Eve, ie tomorrow?

Unlike another post which is using stats for a random period (seasons never start on Jan 1st) there are a whole bunch of positives. Which ones have i missed out;

-After 25 games we have won more than we've drawn and also won more than we have lost

-We are ahead of two teams who have had parachute money and a few months ago were in the Prem

-Under other managers we failed to beat bottom teams. We've already won two against the bottom 3

-Of the 10 teams above us we've only lost to three of them - really good, solid performances

-All top teams are built on solid defences; only 4 teams have conceded less than us.

-Highest average crowds since the '70s

-A win at Stoke would put us 8th or 9th

Stats like those given my Ian Gay on Twentytwot yesterday can skew the picture. His unpopular and unbalanced calls to radio Bristol (who call him rather!) are a good reason not to listen to local radio but he is entitled to express what he wants.

I think the above makes most of us happy with the season so far and should be the basis for an exciting end to the season

10 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Having sold three of our best / favourite players, lost Corey to injury and started the season with 5 entirely new players at the back, all brand new to the club, what would you have settled for at New Years Eve, ie tomorrow?

We ‘started the season with 5 entirely new players at the back’ - do those ‘entirely new players’ who were ‘all brand new to the club’ include Joe Bryan and Nathan Baker? They both started our first game of the season...Baker started in the second game too...

Fair play on putting a positive spin on this year. For me it's a year of what could of been, and complete boredom.

Firstly, our shocking signings in January ruined our season, whilst the likes of Fulham brought in Mitrovic in loan we bought in Diony. And in the summer when we could of bought in the likes of Mariott but instead we bought 1 goal in 5 Weimann. I don't mind selling our best players as we're a relative small club but our replacements (apart from Webster who I think has been a very good signing) haven't helped our mediocre season.

Awful performances throughout the whole year. I can genuinely only think of about 4 or 5 games where we actually played well this year it's been that horrific. The entertainment factor has been the worst I've probably experienced in nearly 15 years watching City. It's been so bad at times I've lost interest, and speaking to friends and reading this forum I think a few have also lost that interest. 

The only positive I can take is I thought we would be slap bang in a relegation battle, looks like we've scraped enough draws and 1-0 wins to not have to worry about that this season.

Overall I'd give 2018 a 4/10. With the highlight of the year being Reids goal against Man City, that roar when he scored will never be forgotten. The fact that happened on January 9th says everything you need to know about this year..

5 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Unlike another post which is using stats for a random period (seasons never start on Jan 1st) there are a whole bunch of positives. Which ones have i missed out;

-After 25 games we have won more than we've drawn and also won more than we have lost

-We are ahead of two teams who have had parachute money and a few months ago were in the Prem

-Under other managers we failed to beat bottom teams. We've already won two against the bottom 3

-Of the 10 teams above us we've only lost to three of them - really good, solid performances

-All top teams are built on solid defences; only 4 teams have conceded less than us.

Stats like those given my Ian Gay on Twentytwot yesterday can skew the picture. His unpopular and unbalanced calls to radio Bristol (who call him rather!) are a good reason not to listen to local radio but he is entitled to express what he wants.

I think the above makes most of us happy with the season so far and should be the basis for an exciting end to the season

Honestly?

At the start of the season I said 6th-16th.  So somewhere around 11th is in the middle.  I said I would accept a more mid/lower-mid table if it meant the likes of Kelly (tick) and either Moore and Vyner broke through too (Cross - but Vyner At Rotherham so so a big red cross), and we’d positioned ourselves for 19/20 season.

So I should sit here pretty happy shouldn’t I?

I am, relatively so....but there are several things I’m not happy about...it’s not all about league position, and neither is LJ’s remit:

• the football club made a £23m loss, in our best season in 10 years, with income from a cup run....I had predicted £13m loss and got laughed at!  That hampered the spending of the money received from Bryan, Flint and Reid....or facilitated the need to sell them...although all 3 wanted to go.  
  • the loss will hamstring us this season and 19/20 too
  • Engvall and Djúric sales, for minimal fees certainly in relation to fees paid.  Signings like that should never happen again.
  • highest average crowds but a lot of apathy from supporters (not just on social media)

Some positives:

• Maenpaa - on a free too.  This is one GK Fielding won’t be seeing off.
  • Webster - fantastic player....but let’s not forget the deal was £3.5m plus £4.5m add-ons....he could cost us £8m.

56 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

What is the title saying?????? 18/19 season a good year so far.....after moaning about random periods as well?.... all I ask is; your title kind of contradicts itself or are you covering as many bases as possible?

We are 8 places below where we were this time last season......year or both if you like; we are also playing absolute rubbish and getting away with daylight robbery on many weekends.

Add to that the fact that many, many fans who have already paid for their seats cant be bothered to turn up......much like our team who had to wait till 2 Rotherham players were sent off before we could score and then it was only 1.

I think the above makes everybody happy....not......but I`m glad you are enjoying it.

29 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

What is the title saying?????? 18/19 season a good year so far.....after moaning about random periods as well?.... all I ask is; your title kind of contradicts itself or are you covering as many bases as possible?

We are 8 places below where we were this time last season......year or both if you like; we are also playing absolute rubbish and getting away with daylight robbery on many weekends.

Add to that the fact that many, many fans who have already paid for their seats cant be bothered to turn up......much like our team who had to wait till 2 Rotherham players were sent off before we could score and then it was only 1.

I think the above makes everybody happy....not......but I`m glad you are enjoying it.

I'm pretty sure the title is a question and not a statement.

If results are the be all and end all and you don’t go to the football (particularly at AG) to actually enjoy it then you have to agree with the original post.

If you see football as something you want to be entertained by then you may put a different slant on it.........because entertaining we most certainly ain’t!!

About where I thought we would be and no complaints at all.

As for entertainment, well that is subjective and for me its been good as I go to some away games where we are on the front foot more and the crowd is more supportive. Having said that, it has to be said that this forum is in no way indicative of the general support which is still quite positive.

35 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If you see football as something you want to be entertained by then you may put a different slant on it.........because entertaining we most certainly ain’t!!

Despite the recent drab performances I’m happy enough with way its going largely because I get the strategy that LJ is working within. 

I said before that he’s doing the job with one hand tied behind his back and that’s why I’m ok with the progress he’s making.

I doubt that we’ll see much ‘trade’ the window a striker possibly but no suggestion of any additional midfielders so I won’t be holding breath......and SLs desire to see City in the top six will be unfulfilled I think.

17 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

As for entertainment, well that is subjective and for me its been good as I go to some away games where we are on the front foot more and the crowd is more supportive. Having said that, it has to be said that this forum is in no way indicative of the general support which is still quite positive.

Really? 

This statement cracks me up. The fellas I attend with all share the same opinion around not necessarily the lack of entertainment (which is evident) but more so the fact we don’t set up to try and win our home games. Prior to the Rotherham game I took in the delights of North Street and again, every one I spoke with has the same view around the Saturday’s we all share at the Gate currently. Certainly not positive. 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Despite the recent drab performances I’m happy enough with way its going largely because I get the strategy that LJ is working within. 

I said before that he’s doing the job with one hand tied behind his back and that’s why I’m ok with the progress he’s making.

I doubt that we’ll see much ‘trade’ the window a striker possibly but no suggestion of any additional midfielders so I won’t be holding breath......and SLs desire to see City in the top six will be unfulfilled I think.

Agreed.

But not a popular opinion on here :)

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Don’t disagree with the results v relative resources argument but my point is it’s not as cut and dried as simply putting forward statistics as the original poster has done and saying “he’s doing great” or “get him out”. If the performance isn’t great but you are getting results you can survive but drab performances with poor results (eg when we lost four in a row) put a different perspective on things.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

We have a team that is more suited to away games imo. We are not uncomfortable when we only have 45% possession and can grind out results. At home that is not so good in many peoples eyes.

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Really? 

This statement cracks me up. The fellas I attend with all share the same opinion around not necessarily the lack of entertainment (which is evident) but more so the fact we don’t set up to try and win our home games. Prior to the Rotherham game I took in the delights of North Street and again, every one I spoke with has the same view around the Saturday’s we all share at the Gate currently. Certainly not positive. 

Well, it's likely that your mates and you would have similar opinions.

This forum is nowhere near the general view of the support base - more the opposite I would say.

On here beginning of the season and it was "season tickets are going to be well down" - record number sold, total opposite. 

Now its starting again....

Its bullshit.

59 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

This forum is nowhere near the general view of the support base - more the opposite I would say.

On here beginning of the season and it was "season tickets are going to be well down" - record number sold, total opposite. 

Its bullshit.

Unless you know 20k people who attend regularly you don’t know the general view of the support base. Based on the hundred or so City fans I know well there are MANY different views out there. I know people who would still bomb Johnson out if he WON the next ten and people who would still want him to stay if he lost the next ten.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Its bullshit.

Because we all watch the dross served up on a bi weekly basis? Or ... ?

Archived