IGNORED

Picture of old Open End at AG

Offside

Lots of memories from in there!

One was when I was earning £7 a week as a young student early 70s I was in there with some mates when three very attractive girls approached us holding  a charity bucket asking for donations.

Being a bit pissed and a bit cocky I said “show us yer tits and I’ll give you a fiver” much to my regret she opened her shirt and flashed a pair of bare tits at us.......She held the bucket out and I had no choice but to pay up.....by last fiver!  

I was skint the entire week.............:sad26:

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

That pic would be from the last couple of years of its life, surely? (Thorn Security, InterSport boards)

Floodlights still there so pre 1992 I think? They went when the Williams had its roof extension I think? 

16 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Good memories when teams brought a lot, Saints, Pompey, Leeds, Man U, Spurs and we beat them all! 

And when Cardiff came in through the gates down the back at half time during a league cup match. That didn't end well for the few that got shut in with us when the gates were closed. Loved the Park end. Proper memories of watching football 

My first ever match in 1977 against Arsenal when i was twelve walked in the first turnstile i got to. Had only ever watched Trowbridge before and didn't realise separate sections at City. It was the away end and it was packed. ?

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

One was when I was earning £7 a week as a young student early 70s I was in there with some mates when three very attractive girls approached us holding  a charity bucket asking for donations.

Being a bit pissed and a bit cocky I said “show us yer tits and I’ll give you a fiver” much to my regret she opened her shirt and flashed a pair of bare tits at us.......She held the bucket out and I had no choice but to pay up.....by last fiver!  

should have tried the Nolan sisters,saved £4.50

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

but happy

18 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

I remember going in the Dolman for my first game v Ipswich in April 1992, the floodlights were still there then. I remember the Open End being packed, especially the away section as they were about to win the League.

the match Jacki flicked the ball over his head Escape to Victory style!!! 

38 minutes ago, RedReynard said:

And when Cardiff came in through the gates down the back at half time during a league cup match. That didn't end well for the few that got shut in with us when the gates were closed. Loved the Park end. Proper memories of watching football 

My first ever match in 1977 against Arsenal when i was twelve walked in the first turnstile i got to. Had only ever watched Trowbridge before and didn't realise separate sections at City. It was the away end and it was packed. ?

was in the B-Block that night and watching the Open End in action was quite a sight. Remember a huge section just emptying as seemingly hundreds gave chase to Cardiff. Must have had the eyes of an owl back in those days, as one of the memories imprinted in my mind is one or two Cardiff lads getting separated and chased into the bottom corner by the Williams to receive an absolutely almighty battering. Many stories after, including how the tea lady fought off one mob of Cardiff by lobbing a vat of boiling water on them :D

Of the many other memories, watching us beat the gas on a balmy spring night sticks out. Not the Donowa game but a minor classic nonetheless. This was our revenge after being murdered 4-0 at Trumpton. Thousands were locked out that night, and we were packed in like sardines right against the away end. Carried away on the cider, it was then that I started my first ever song: a lusty rendition of making Irene's bits bleed. 

One of the other matches that sticks out: there was a guy me and my friends only knew as Red Beard Man getting a sparsely populated corner section singing the theme from Rainbow during one crap, freezing match. This was, of course, the one and only Kevin Hardiman, RIP. 

Only stood there a couple of seasons, essentially once the East End was seated, but feels like a million memories have been saved in my mind. Just loved watching the City back then. 

52 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You clearly do not engage your brain when you open your mouth!

I can remember me and a mate being in there when we played west ham in the 80's, we were only about 14, having failed to sneak into the home part of the ground we somehow managed to tag along to the back of the away fans as they were herded in just before kickoff, we shat ourselves the whole game, not just the fear of being rumbled as there were some mental looking bastards in there but also the rain of snooker balls/darts/seats being thrown from the dolman!   happy days........

Brings back memories for me of that famous night against Pompey.

Was in the open end behind the goal when Whitehead scored the goal to see us into the old first division.

Happy, happy days.

2 hours ago, RedReynard said:

It was ridiculous that small double railing was what separated the home and away fans, it was carnage against teams like millwall and Cardiff, laughable really when you look back at it, standing with all your mates was great though.

Archived