IGNORED

Picture of old Open End at AG

Offside

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I read Souness, thought Liverpool, so assumed 3-1 defeat.....and then saw Boro!!!! 

As per my exams I should RTFQ ?

always remember English lit, question what's your interpretation of (whatever rubbish we were reading) ? gave a very sensible answer , reply was no you are wrong. My thoughts no you asked the wrong question.

54 minutes ago, Flounder said:

86p a pint, £2.70 to get in the Ground. Stood next to the yellow gate half way down, near a bloke called Merv with a sharp wit and a booming voice. Happy days.

Blimey, when I started going, it cost me half a crown (12.5p to anyone too young to remember) and when I reached the ripe old age of 14 and could illegally buy a pint in the rising sun, it cost me exactly the same  ?

42 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Blimey, when I started going, it cost me half a crown (12.5p to anyone too young to remember) and when I reached the ripe old age of 14 and could illegally buy a pint in the rising sun, it cost me exactly the same  ?

you must be a tad older than me four pints and a bag of chips on the way home for just shy of £2

17 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Memories of my dad and his mate Gordon being in Crackers Corner in the late 70s, while I was packed off to watch our time in the top flight as "a young 'un" in the "Schoolboy enclosure", those few rows of terrace in front of the Dolman stand.

Also stood on the open end with my dad to see us beat Chelsea in the FA cup in 1990 when I was home from university for Christmas. Strangely, despite it chucking it down, I don't really remember getting that wet! And not long after that it was gone and replaced by the Atyeo stand, which in its day was a major leap forward compared to most of the rest of the ground. That shows how far we have come recently!

My memory tells me that Chelsea were given the whole of the open end in that FA cup match ?

My dad always took me in the open end back in the 70's for no other reason than it was the cheapest end.

I remember being in there before the fences and segregation. Man Utd in Div 2 was interesting as a 10 year old. Remember me dad left what he thought was a few minutes early to avoid any trouble only to find his watch was wrong and we got out about 30 seconds before the United fans who ran up Coronation Road causing havoc, scarring me to death.

Another memory I have was against Liverpool in Div 1. The end was so packed I got lifted into the school boy enclosure for safety.

It makes the recent thread about attendances look daft when in those days the attendance was always more than declared. The blokes on the turnstiles would always claim the turnstile was stuck so many got in without registering I can even remember being told to jump over - they were only waist height in those days. Happy days - although i have to admit the facilities are far superior now.

21 hours ago, RedReynard said:

And when Cardiff came in through the gates down the back at half time during a league cup match. That didn't end well for the few that got shut in with us when the gates were closed. Loved the Park end. Proper memories of watching football 

I was sat in the East End that night, remember seeing the home and away sections of the Open End suddenly empty during half time. Obviously fans from both sides had piled around the back of the terrace after the gates had been forced open.

Loved the parkend , if you stood at the back you could look down on the away fans milling about buying tea and coffee, and generally being boisterous, always remember coventry late 70s and a large proportion of them (200 odd) were punks who never moved from being slumped against the walls behind their terrace  where they witnessed not one minute of football - was odd to witnessas as a 12 year old  ...... i suspected  at the time that drink and being pretty vacant was involved. . Always remember coppers asking you to open your hands looking for missiles and the joyus confetti years round about the time ultra magazine was about ..fun daze indeed .-  the Atyeo was a massive disappointment  . 

22 hours ago, Robbored said:

Lots of memories from in there!

One was when I was earning £7 a week as a young student early 70s I was in there with some mates when three very attractive girls approached us holding  a charity bucket asking for donations.

Being a bit pissed and a bit cocky I said “show us yer tits and I’ll give you a fiver” much to my regret she opened her shirt and flashed a pair of bare tits at us.......She held the bucket out and I had no choice but to pay up.....by last fiver!  

I was skint the entire week.............:sad26:

Did that teach you to 'nip' that sort of behaviour in the 'bud' young Robbo?  :) 

15 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Does anyone know why two blocks of the east end has black seats? 

No idea but there are a few things going on in this picture. It seems the bus garage is still there but looks like it might be being demolished. The site at the top has been cleared ready for Sainsbury`s to be built and the tobacco warehouses haven`t been blown up yet.

Takes me back that!

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

No idea but there are a few things going on in this picture. It seems the bus garage is still there but looks like it might be being demolished. The site at the top has been cleared ready for Sainsbury`s to be built and the tobacco warehouses haven`t been blown up yet.

Takes me back that!

It’s buses leaving it, not being knocked down !!

8 hours ago, WelshRobin said:

18th April 1992.

That was one of my first games I believe, didn't we end up winning 2-1, goals from Leroy Rosenior and Andy Cole? If I'm correct they could have won the league that day but we spoilt the party!

Edit - link here https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6mt47q

Brilliant, thanks for posting that link.

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I'm guessing 1971, crafty b^^^^^^s put it up to 15p as soon as decimal came in.

11 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Do you know I looked at (with me specs on!) and couldn`t decide if it was or not but thought the yellow thing looked like a crane or something.

You can`t hold back the ageing process can you!

You’ve also got the old bond buildings opposite that were blown up a few years later - remember going to watch that. 

Also Sainsburys is just starting to be built in the far right corner.  So many changes over past 25 years in that shot. 

On 31/12/2018 at 01:10, Dr Balls said:

Also stood on the open end with my dad to see us beat Chelsea in the FA cup in 1990 when I was home from university for Christmas. Strangely, despite it chucking it down, I don't really remember getting that wet! And not long after that it was gone and replaced by the Atyeo stand, which in its day was a major leap forward compared to most of the rest of the ground. That shows how far we have come recently!

On 31/12/2018 at 08:58, Ska Junkie said:

You stood with the Chelsea fans? Rather you than me. They had the whole Open end as I remember it. 

23 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

You are right Chelsea had that whole end and we were on the end of the Williams side at that end next to the gap to the open end. Call it lack of sleep. Doh!

14 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

My memory tells me that Chelsea were given the whole of the open end in that FA cup match ?

Archived