IGNORED

Picture of old Open End at AG

Offside

Loved the park end.From 1971 to 1977 always went in the park end-my dad who took us so must have been cheaper!

Initially sat on railings/small wall that was on right hand side of terrace as looked at pitch above the old halftime scoreboard.Everytime City scored we’d all jump off the wall and run onto pitch -only short distance on ,then climb back up on wall and sit again,no one seemed to mind.

Did get a bit fruity in there though ,especially when segregation was only on terrace and you could walk freely between two sides behind the terrace ,many raids were made by home and away fans.

Eventually moved to east end as reached teenage years and happily stood in middle for many years.Many interesting days there ,especially when the London clubs visited.

Football definitely seemed more of an adventure back then , very glad to have experienced it.

As a young lad with my dad on a season ticket in Dolman B Block, it used to fascinate me how the few City fans used to always stand with the away fans in there end (City fans were tucked right in the corner usually - as a group) every home game.

When we scored, they would jump up and cheer and the away fans usually ignored them. Never any trouble as I recall just banter.

Great days and thanks for posting the pictures - loved the old ground!

15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

No idea but there are a few things going on in this picture. It seems the bus garage is still there but looks like it might be being demolished. The site at the top has been cleared ready for Sainsbury`s to be built and the tobacco warehouses haven`t been blown up yet.

Takes me back that!

On 30/12/2018 at 22:21, Robbored said:

Lots of memories from in there!

One was when I was earning £7 a week as a young student early 70s I was in there with some mates when three very attractive girls approached us holding  a charity bucket asking for donations.

Being a bit pissed and a bit cocky I said “show us yer tits and I’ll give you a fiver” much to my regret she opened her shirt and flashed a pair of bare tits at us.......She held the bucket out and I had no choice but to pay up.....by last fiver!  

I was skint the entire week.............:sad26:

Now that’s an anecdote ( these days you’d be arrested) 

23 hours ago, rat23 said:

Loved the parkend , if you stood at the back you could look down on the away fans milling about buying tea and coffee, and generally being boisterous, always remember coventry late 70s and a large proportion of them (200 odd) were punks who never moved from being slumped against the walls behind their terrace  where they witnessed not one minute of football - was odd to witnessas as a 12 year old  ...... i suspected  at the time that drink and being pretty vacant was involved. . Always remember coppers asking you to open your hands looking for missiles and the joyus confetti years round about the time ultra magazine was about ..fun daze indeed .-  the Atyeo was a massive disappointment  . 

Ultra magazine! now there's a memory, will need to dig out my old issues the next time I'm round at my parents, provided they haven't chucked them away! Loved that brief little era that lasted until Osman killed off any excitement.  

And yes, think the Atyeo was doomed from the off. Remember excitedly entering for the first game and knowing straight away it would never come close to being a proper home end. Trying to think who the first game was against, possibly Vale at home?

23 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Does anyone know why two blocks of the east end has black seats? 

would be certain this pic was taken in the summer of 91, i.e. just when the East End was being seated. The black bits are where the installation hasn't been complete. Love the old floodlights as well, think they might have been shipped off later that summer as well (or the summer after?). 

On 01/01/2019 at 01:28, redysteadygo said:

What's this Park End nonsense, always the Open End until a Stand was built surely.

We're the park end ,we're the park end ,we're the park end aston gate  - in reply to the east end -   open end just wouldn't of worked ? 

On 30/12/2018 at 22:25, Der no.2 said:

Remember being in there vs Newcastle when pieces of train started raining down on us.

Also most away fans i saw there was Man City, they were on something of an unbeaten run and we turned them over. Happy days.

Yeah, can remember Man City filling the whole end for a league game, about 79 ish.

On 31/12/2018 at 19:21, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I was sat in the East End that night, remember seeing the home and away sections of the Open End suddenly empty during half time. Obviously fans from both sides had piled around the back of the terrace after the gates had been forced open.

Cardiff forced the gates behind the terrace, they ran in to our side all cocky and full of themselves, two minutes later they were clamouring to get back through the gates to safety, they took an absolute battering, a few were carried back in if my memory serves me right. 

22 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Yeah, can remember Man City filling the whole end for a league game, about 79 ish.

Garland 1-0 ? I remember one of their players said we weren’t fit to tie their boots, but bitter I thought ??

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Man. City Captain Mike Doyle, on MOTD.

Thought it was, but not 100% . Went to the Isle of Man for a scooter rally a few years ago. One of the guys there was a big Man City fan, and when we started chatting at the bar this was the first game he mentioned. 

On 01/01/2019 at 13:24, Robbored said:

These days I wouldn’t bother to ask........

These days if she opened her blouse, her tits would probably bounce off her knees!

:laugh: I remember being in the corner for a crucial derby game, '90s sometime, we were 1-0 up with about 10-15 mins to go; I yelled at Alexander "Oi, Alexander, how come you've not got sent off yet?"

Two minutes later, Alexander stops one on the line with his hand, off he goes.  Bloke next to me thinks I'm Mystic Meg.

Tinman whacks in the pen and comes and dances round the corner flag in front of us.  Love it.

On 31/12/2018 at 16:16, wendyredredrobin said:

Blimey, when I started going, it cost me half a crown (12.5p to anyone too young to remember) and when I reached the ripe old age of 14 and could illegally buy a pint in the rising sun, it cost me exactly the same  ?

3d (old pence) for me into the EastEnd or free if you went in at half time :ill::city:

On 31/12/2018 at 08:42, Red Grovesy said:

Some pretty good pictures in this book.

Are you in any of these pictures (all taken from the book)?

2018-12-31 08.30.23.jpg

2018-12-31 08.36.25.jpg

2018-12-31 08.36.35.jpg

2018-12-31 08.36.01.jpg

I am in the second picture down!! Hands in the air with black and white striped sleeves!!  Absolutely brilliant days. ?

On 03/01/2019 at 20:09, BobBobSuperBob said:

So did Charlton for the FA Cup game 

Who can forget afterwards when they let everyone out at same time with just a rope to divide home and away fans... all hell went off there after. 

P.S Scott Minto is still a prick 

Archived