IGNORED

Picture of old Open End at AG

Offside

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I was in the EE that night but I wish I`d been where you were! That must be one of those moments that you can still replay in your mind second by second.

it was amazing even with the flying coins!

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I was in the EE that night but I wish I`d been where you were! That must be one of those moments that you can still replay in your mind second by second.

Sat in b block of the dolman for that game 

remember everything singing city are back ,city are back at the final whistle and giving rovers a taste of there own medicine 

seem to remember there was a badge made up after that game that was sold outside the ground next game with CITY ARE BACK  on it ,but might be dreaming that ?

3 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Sat in b block of the dolman for that game 

remember everything singing city are back ,city are back at the final whistle and giving rovers a taste of there own medicine 

seem to remember there was a badge made up after that game that was sold outside the ground next game with CITY ARE BACK  on it ,but might be dreaming that ?

I may just be imagining the memory but in my mind the goal went in after they`d spent ten minutes singing `Will you ever beat the gas?`

It`s probably what I wish had happened though rather than what actually did!

19 hours ago, PolskRed said:

I am in the second picture down!! Hands in the air with black and white striped sleeves!!  Absolutely brilliant days. ?

In that case I’m somewhere right behind you. We spent several years standing up against the fence next to mike the steward!

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I may just be imagining the memory but in my mind the goal went in after they`d spent ten minutes singing `Will you ever beat the gas?`

It`s probably what I wish had happened though rather than what actually did!

After Donowa's goal 3 sides of the ground were pointing at the Rovers fans singing, 'Irene,**** off Irene, Irene **** off, **** off, Irene, **** off Irene, the gas are going down.'

Apparently Radio Bristol reported it as fantastic support BY the Rovers supporters, singing 'Irene' and outshouting the home fans until the final whistle. :doh:

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

After Donowa's goal 3 sides of the ground were pointing at the Rovers fans singing, 'Irene,**** off Irene, Irene **** off, **** off, Irene, **** off Irene, the gas are going down.'

Apparently Radio Bristol reported it as fantastic support BY the Rovers supporters, singing 'Irene' and outshouting the home fans until the final whistle. :doh:

Well they would say that wouldn`t they?

On 04/01/2019 at 07:42, TomF said:

Who can forget afterwards when they let everyone out at same time with just a rope to dive home and away fans... all hell went off there after. 

P.S Scott Minto is still a ***** 

haha, and just to compound the 'piece of rope' as segregation, there was a skip right outside filled to the brim with masonry, bricks, planks, bottles :D I would be certain there wasn't even a speck of dust left in it. Chaos that day, the whole of Ashton Road felt like a running battle for an hour after the game!

On 03/01/2019 at 23:12, PolskRed said:

I am in the second picture down!! Hands in the air with black and white striped sleeves!!  Absolutely brilliant days. ?

likewise, would have been just behind you - can't see me because no matter which vantage point i ever found, the tallest blokes in bristol would always enter on kick-off and stand in front of me :D

classic times! 

btw, any idea what match this photo was taken? I'm guessing something along the lines of Brentford, last match of the season? 

22 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

likewise, would have been just behind you - can't see me because no matter which vantage point i ever found, the tallest blokes in bristol would always enter on kick-off and stand in front of me :D

classic times! 

btw, any idea what match this photo was taken? I'm guessing something along the lines of Brentford, last match of the season? 

Was the Brentford game the one when they went down? Meet a few after the game I knew from england games and I seem to recall they brought a load down and lost and were relagted.  And judging buy the city tops and talking to polskred seem to think it was the 90/91 season 

5 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Was the Brentford game the one when they went down? Meet a few after the game I knew from england games and I seem to recall they brought a load down and lost and were relagted.  And judging buy the city tops and talking to polskred seem to think it was the 90/91 season 

yep, was thinking of the Brentford game we sent them down - they took a fair few, the middle section that was usually kept neutral was opened for them. But yes, you're right, looking at the tops think I'm totally wrong!

On the subject of the 'neutral' zone, loved that Forest game over Christmas when it was opened up for us. We got tanked 4-1 (Collymore hattrick?) but still a grand old atmosphere. Two gasheads in the away end making themselves known - they realized the error of their ways outside later!! 

On 03/01/2019 at 13:44, Nogbad the Bad said:

Man. City Captain Mike Doyle, on MOTD.

Slightly off topic, but, his grandson is in the current Man City youth team and is a class act. Unlike Mike Doyle he’s a central midfielder, very much all action, a sort of younger version of Kevin De Bruyne but more aggressive. Could have a big future. 

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

haha, and just to compound the 'piece of rope' as segregation, there was a skip right outside filled to the brim with masonry, bricks, planks, bottles :D I would be certain there wasn't even a speck of dust left in it. Chaos that day, the whole of Ashton Road felt like a running battle for an hour after the game!

I can still remember to this day a Charlton lad ( wearing a white Sweatshirt with Timberland emblazoned on the front) outside the Wedlock pub, pulling a BIG knife out from his sleeve, it was so big it shined in the lights!!. Nasty day!

5 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I can still remember to this day a Charlton lad ( wearing a white Sweatshirt with Timberland emblazoned on the front) outside the Wedlock pub, pulling a BIG knife out from his sleeve, it was so big it shined in the lights!!. Nasty day!

Was such bad feeling over Charltons goal I’m sure it made things ten times worse. Seem to remember someone charging over a car bonnet by wedlock’s shouting come on then. That was the queue for it all to kick off. Frightening when your 13 years old  at the time! 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Was such bad feeling over Charltons goal I’m sure it made things ten times worse. Seem to remember someone charging over a car bonnet by wedlock’s shouting come on then. That was the queue for it all to kick off. Frightening when your 13 years old  at the time! 

Strange isn’t it, I can remember what I said Re the Charlton fan clearly, but can’t remember anything about what happened for Charlton’s goal. Please remind me ?.

9 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Strange isn’t it, I can remember what I said Re the Charlton fan clearly, but can’t remember anything about what happened for Charlton’s goal. Please remind me ?.

We knocked the ball out of play as a Charlton player was injured. Scott Minto then refused to throw it back to a city player and subsequently Charlton scored from the resulting play. 

2 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Found this online...

IMG_0002.PNG

That takes me back. That`s the little grassed area on the corner of Smyth Road and Winterstoke Road which is still there with the retail park on the bus station site behind. It`s an odd thing for someone to take a photo of though unless it was the council for road repairs or something.

31 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Found this online...

IMG_0002.PNG

Great photo. For some reason always remember all the fire bells on the front of the wills building.

Anyone remember the signal box which sadly got torched further down the road? 

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

Great photo. For some reason always remember all the fire bells on the front of the wills building.

Anyone remember the signal box which sadly got torched further down the road? 

Quite a different view now 

086B90D9-1A7E-4043-A467-25044D2D50BB.jpeg

this pic is before my time, but just saw it for the first time - courtesy of one of the City posters on a football grounds page I'm on. What a beautiful sight this is!!!! (If you're wondering, City v Wolves, 1980 according to the original poster - photo taken by his dad!). 

49653971_10156936733017453_8780007008179847168_n.jpg

Archived