IGNORED

Picture of old Open End at AG

Offside

Would that be 1980s' early 90's? Saw a picture online a while back that looked similar which was from that period.

@GasDestroyer Think the Chelsea game you refer to was 1990? 3-1? Before my time in a sense but keen on the history of the club- some of the old games looked pretty great...

@Dr Balls You're not wrong about the ground- even as recently as 10 years ago or maybe a bit longer, the Dolman still had wooden seats didn't it? 15 perhaps...definitely remember the rattling of them under Pulis, a sign of discontent...

Memories of my dad and his mate Gordon being in Crackers Corner in the late 70s, while I was packed off to watch our time in the top flight as "a young 'un" in the "Schoolboy enclosure", those few rows of terrace in front of the Dolman stand.

Also stood on the open end with my dad to see us beat Chelsea in the FA cup in 1990 when I was home from university for Christmas. Strangely, despite it chucking it down, I don't really remember getting that wet! And not long after that it was gone and replaced by the Atyeo stand, which in its day was a major leap forward compared to most of the rest of the ground. That shows how far we have come recently!

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Like the EE..........if only each step were a couple of inches higher it would have looked massive. It was actually a pretty big end, but too flat !

And without both ends being this size we would never have got 38,000+ into the ground. Do agree, both ends too shallow, proven when seating was installed in the East End.

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

Lots of memories from in there!

One was when I was earning £7 a week as a young student early 70s I was in there with some mates when three very attractive girls approached us holding  a charity bucket asking for donations.

Being a bit pissed and a bit cocky I said “show us yer tits and I’ll give you a fiver” much to my regret she opened her shirt and flashed a pair of bare tits at us.......She held the bucket out and I had no choice but to pay up.....by last fiver!  

I was skint the entire week.............:sad26:

Did this story have a happy ending?!!!

?

7 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Memories of my dad and his mate Gordon being in Crackers Corner in the late 70s, while I was packed off to watch our time in the top flight as "a young 'un" in the "Schoolboy enclosure", those few rows of terrace in front of the Dolman stand.

Also stood on the open end with my dad to see us beat Chelsea in the FA cup in 1990 when I was home from university for Christmas. Strangely, despite it chucking it down, I don't really remember getting that wet! And not long after that it was gone and replaced by the Atyeo stand, which in its day was a major leap forward compared to most of the rest of the ground. That shows how far we have come recently!

You stood with the Chelsea fans? Rather you than me. They had the whole Open end as I remember it. 

33 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

You stood with the Chelsea fans? Rather you than me. They had the whole Open end as I remember it. 

My follow up post has "disappeared" somewhere, including my description of sitting in the back of the Williams stand until 4 years ago.

You are right Chelsea had that whole end and we were on the end of the Williams side at that end next to the gap to the open end. Call it lack of sleep. Doh!

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Unfortunately not..........in fact I had to scrounge £3 off my nan. She never wanted it back.........god rest her soul.

What would that fiver be worth in today's money?  What are the chances of a girl collecting for charity actually giving you a flash!  I love this tale!  Surely you must have asked her out or something after?

44 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Top picture I know a few . Including the Brother in law . :ph34r:

PS love to get my hands on one of those books. Great nostalgia 

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

6 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

What would that fiver be worth in today's money?  What are the chances of a girl collecting for charity actually giving you a flash!  I love this tale!  Surely you must have asked her out or something after?

Not sure I’d wanna go out with someone who flashes her tits on request in front of 20k people!!!

55 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I doubt she’d have let me feel em  in front of a load of lads......they all cheered of course when she flashed her tits.

It was coughing up most of my wages that was the worse bit......you’d have thought that would have taught me lesson and not to show off...........:disapointed2se:

Me and my mate, who I sit with in SS, used to stand in crackers corner ( very right hand side of pic ) there the night we beat Pompey 1-0 with Clive scoring, mass pitch invasion at the end. Brilliant memories and would say rather have it then with its atmosphere and banter than the sterility we have come to accept in Corporate Land :ill:

15 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

I remember going in the Dolman for my first game v Ipswich in April 1992, the floodlights were still there then. I remember the Open End being packed, especially the away section as they were about to win the League.

18th April 1992.

That was one of my first games I believe, didn't we end up winning 2-1, goals from Leroy Rosenior and Andy Cole? If I'm correct they could have won the league that day but we spoilt the party!

Edit - link here https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6mt47q

First game at AG, Jan-81. Travelled to game on Watford’s supporters club coach. Stood in away section with Watford supporters. Wore red and white scarf shouting City on. No trouble, just odd looks from the Old Bill lining the fencing. Cost 75p to get in. 0-0 it ended. Around 8000 there, same level as now - we are making progress compared to those days.

Archived