IGNORED

Bristol City v East Fife March 1953

Miah Dennehy

According to the source of all our knowledge these days (Wikipedia), East Fife were at the height of their powers around this time. In the post war years they won the Scottish League cup 3 times and in the 52 / 53 season, they were in the hunt for the league title right up to the end of the season.

Sorry that doesn't add anything to answering Miah's question.

2 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I'm so old Miah I doubt I'll last that long....I have discovered that shins are excellent for finding things in the dark though

1 minute ago, Chris_Brown said:

It was a friendly. 

Friendly matches under floodlights were fairly commonplace in the early 50's and it was the popularity of these that led to the FA sanctioning the use of floodlights for competitive matches. 

Thanks Chris, that makes sense :)

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

It was a friendly. 

Friendly matches under floodlights were fairly commonplace in the early 50's and it was the popularity of these that led to the FA sanctioning the use of floodlights for competitive matches. 

Spot on. I used to have some 1950s Wolves programmes (then the top club in the country) and they had floodlit friendlies against European teams (eg Honved) which no doubt also helped prepare for the European Cup.

It was the third of our first games under lights.

English champions Wolves first, then Cardiff City as the leading Welsh Club with East Five, then a top team in Scottish Division One.

I saw all of them. Really exciting seeing football under lights. I think Charlie Fleming an international, played up front for East Five. He later joined Bath City.

Seeing Wolves then was tremendous with lots of international stars led by Billy Wright.

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

English champions Wolves first, then Cardiff City as the leading Welsh Club with East Five, then a top team in Scottish Division One.

I saw all of them. Really exciting seeing football under lights. I think Charlie Fleming an international, played up front for East Five. He later joined Bath City.

Seeing Wolves then was tremendous with lots of international stars led by Billy Wright.

God! The number of times my dad told me about Charlie "Cannonball" Fleming playing for Bath City in the Malcolm Allison days, he made him sound like something out of Roy of the Rovers. :) 

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

Spot on. I used to have some 1950s Wolves programmes (then the top club in the country) and they had floodlit friendlies against European teams (eg Honved) which no doubt also helped prepare for the European Cup.

The next season we saw European sides in floodlit friendlies. Rheims, Nice, Hadjuk Split with the Yugoslav keeper Beara, were just a few.

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The next season we saw European sides in floodlit friendlies. Rheims, Nice, Hadjuk Split with the Yugoslav keeper Beara, were just a few.

I’ve discovered a whole Wiki page on the 1954 Wolves v Honved match. It was within 12 months of Hungary beating England 6-3 and shocking the English football establishment. Wolves were champions of England, and Honved champions of Hungary, with many of the greats in their side (eg Puskas and Grosics). Wolves were down at half time and being outplayed. They decided to water the pitch to slow Honved down, and Wolves ended up winning 3-2. 

It did indeed help lead to the setting up of the European Cup a couple of years later.

10 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I’ve discovered a whole Wiki page on the 1954 Wolves v Honved match. It was within 12 months of Hungary beating England 6-3 and shocking the English football establishment. Wolves were champions of England, and Honved champions of Hungary, with many of the greats in their side (eg Puskas and Grosics). Wolves were down at half time and being outplayed. They decided to water the pitch to slow Honved down, and Wolves ended up winning 3-2. 

It did indeed help lead to the setting up of the European Cup a couple of years later.

Around 1957 when Dad got us our first tv, they played Honved again at Molineux. ATV who were the Midlands ITV company screened it in their region only. I spent an hour or so trying to find it on our TV, got the broken sound a couple of times but no picture. So little football on tv then. You young ones are spoilt although I prefer a live game even if it's kids to any televised match.

I managed to see Puskas live at Wembley for the Rest of the World against England. Di Stefano, Yashin, Kopa, Gento were among the others in the team. What an experience!

5 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

According to the source of all our knowledge these days (Wikipedia), East Fife were at the height of their powers around this time. In the post war years they won the Scottish League cup 3 times and in the 52 / 53 season, they were in the hunt for the league title right up to the end of the season.

Sorry that doesn't add anything to answering Miah's question.

There is your answer, as one of the leading clubs in Scotland at that time, they wanted to play one of the leading teams in England ?. Can I also be the first to say East Fife 4 Forfar 5. 

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Shit me mate how old are you...no offence!!

Archived