IGNORED

The R.I.P. 2019 Thread

WhistleHappy

Hal Blaine died a few days ago at the age of 90.   Legendary session drummer with The Wrecking Crew used by Phil Spector and then Brian Wilson for the Beach Boys Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations.  Also played on many 60s and 70s hits by the likes of Mamas and Papas, The Monkees, Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water and many, many more.  RIP.

4 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Charlie Whiting (Mr F1) has died suddenly of a pulmonary embolism just as the season is about to start again this weekend. He was 66, and an all round lovely bloke. Quite shocked really :( 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47564762

Agreed Dolly. RIP Charlie.

Sadly, it's goodbye to the sport for good for me. Now it's gone all pay TV, I'm not even going to bother following something I used to enjoy watching. 

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Agreed Dolly. RIP Charlie.

Sadly, it's goodbye to the sport for good for me. Now it's gone all pay TV, I'm not even going to bother following something I used to enjoy watching. 

Radio Coverage is still pretty good RR.

Shocking news about Charlie, he will leave a big void in the sport. Very sad to read the comments from the drivers, one saw him walking around the circuit with Seb V and didn’t want to interrupt, he couldn’t have known he would never get the chance again. Very sad.

66, that’s barely retirement age is it, really makes you think. RIP Mr F1

Terribly ironic that a man who has, perhaps almost single-handedly, pushed the medical aspects of F1 has departed at such a young age. Without his work we may well have had many more seriously injured or killed drivers along the way. Also so sad that it happened at the start of the new season.

6 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Can you not acquire it in the same way that football can be acquired these days?

Potentially. But I think poison dwarf Bernie Ecclestone did the sport a huge disservice when he signed this deal (it was his work, not the current owners).

Removing it from the screens of many will diminish it in the long-run. Potential new young fans will never see races.  Short-sighted.

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Potentially. But I think poison dwarf Bernie Ecclestone did the sport a huge disservice when he signed this deal (it was his work, not the current owners).

Removing it from the screens of many will diminish it in the long-run. Potential new young fans will never see races.

**Short-sighted.  (& Short-arsed) Bernie.

** finished your post for you! :) 

(I expect poor old Bernie needed the cash don't you?  The Git! )

38 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Removing it from the screens of many will diminish it in the long-run. Potential new young fans will never see races.  Short-sighted.

Same as cricket :(

19 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

RIP to the victims of the cowardly & despicable act of violence and terrorism in New Zealand, 49 dead, 20 injured.  I no longer understand this f****d up planet on which we live.

#RIPNZ

Equally my thoughts are with the families and loved ones of this appalling crime.

There are over seven billion human beings on this planet and most of us manage to get along so don’t let the odd madman ruin the beauty that this planet offers us .

8 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

RIP - also an (albeit tenuous) connection with City as, IIRC the Pulp Fiction theme which highlighted his brilliant guitar playing, was often played as the last piece of music before the players emerged from the tunnel at Ashton Gate..

I was surprised to read that Misrilou - the famous instrumental Dick played that was used in Pulp Fiction - is actually a very ancient Greek or Turkish folk song.

Dick - who had Middle Eastern ancestors - took out the words and speeded it up considerably!

• Admin

Bit late, but just found an email in my junk email box, Al Read who was the main DJ and driving force behind booking the bands and making the Granary what it was died on 7th March in Southmead was hospital after a stroke, had some good nights down there and got to know Al reasonably well, sad evening for me.

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Bit late, but just found an email in my junk email box, Al Read who was the main DJ and driving force behind booking the bands and making the Granary what it was died on 7th March in South was hospital after a stroke, had some good nights down there and got to know Al reasonably well, sad evening for me.

The Granary was the go-to place for discos in our senior school. One of the few places you could be reasonably sure of getting served booze at 15 or 16.

Archived