IGNORED

The R.I.P. 2019 Thread

WhistleHappy

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Incredible voice, and apart from his hits did a lot of strange avaunt gard stuff as well.

I'm amazed and touched by how many people on my Facebook feed are posting tributes to him or songs by him. Bearing in mind, I'm in my mid-30s and so are the majority of the people I'm friends with so I got into music 25 year - 30 years after his most famous period. I obviously knew Walker Brothers stuff growing up but really got into him because I was into bands like Pulp and the Divine Comedy who named him as a big influence. And then, once I explored his back catalogue, there was so much great stuff there. I utterly love things like the Amorous Humphrey Plugg and the Rhymes of Goodbye and it was through Scott Walker that I got really into Jacques Brel too.

As you say, an utterly incredible voice and a really interesting career route. Really hard to think of many people that managed to make incredible pop songs and be as experimental as he was. 

Such a sad loss. I`ve had `Jackie` whizzing around in my head ever since I heard.

7 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm amazed and touched by how many people on my Facebook feed are posting tributes to him or songs by him. Bearing in mind, I'm in my mid-30s and so are the majority of the people I'm friends with so I got into music 25 year - 30 years after his most famous period. I obviously knew Walker Brothers stuff growing up but really got into him because I was into bands like Pulp and the Divine Comedy who named him as a big influence. And then, once I explored his back catalogue, there was so much great stuff there. I utterly love things like the Amorous Humphrey Plugg and the Rhymes of Goodbye and it was through Scott Walker that I got really into Jacques Brel too.

As you say, an utterly incredible voice and a really interesting career route. Really hard to think of many people that managed to make incredible pop songs and be as experimental as he was. 

Marc Almond too, he will be devastated as I believe they were great friends.

Really saddened to hear Ranking Roger has gone. A part of one of the finest and most enjoyable bands this nation has produced IMHO. Remember seeing him and his son Ranking Junior at Goodwood a few years ago - as ever giving a great performance.

RR.png.3b9b333a19f5a919a8d89597b45d357f.png

On 14/03/2019 at 13:15, Red-Robbo said:

Sadly, it's goodbye to the sport for good for me. Now it's gone all pay TV, I'm not even going to bother following something I used to enjoy watching. 

On 15/03/2019 at 09:18, Dollymarie said:

Can you not acquire it in the same way that football can be acquired these days?

On 15/03/2019 at 09:23, RedM said:

Yes, this is possible ?

If you have satellite TV, Formula 1 is available 'Free to View' on RTL Austria, although, of course, the commentary is in German.

27 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

If you have satellite TV, Formula 1 is available 'Free to View' on RTL Austria, although, of course, the commentary is in German.

is this in the right thread?! ?

Edit - Sorry just noticed the Motor racing chat earlier in the thread.

38 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

13 minutes ago, Super said:

is this in the right thread?! ?

Edit - Sorry just noticed the Motor racing chat earlier in the thread.

It's obvious that Phil is keen to get things back on 'track' ….

So before this thread 'hits the skids', let's hope someone, somewhere who is OTIB RIP worthy kicks the bucket soon!   ?

On 01/04/2019 at 05:30, WhistleHappy said:

Definitely worthy of her place in OTIB's  R. I. P. Hall Of Fame... Bond Girl Tania Mallet.

Known for her one major film role in 1964 playing Tilly Masterson alongside Sean Connery in the classic Goldfinger.

Sadly Tania Mallet has passed away at the age of 77. 

a71073a43863de9274b43bd0d0221332.jpg

Crickey, she was alright.

18 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Why? … Why? :.. WHY? 

The Last Waltz  - It's Not Unusual at 83 I suppose..  

There's A Kind Of Hush all over the World tonight, though ,  good night Les.   R. I. P.

SO many hits......................interestingly he also wrote Leeds'  Marching On Together, still ,we won't hold that against him !

On 28/03/2019 at 07:51, City Rocker said:

Too sad. For so many of us Roger and the 2Tone gang helped shape our attitude, dress code, musical appreciation and political outlook; a design for life.

RIP you beautiful man.

Sad news  - Only just heard. We are losing too many of the music idols that shaped our life at the moment. Enjoy the bands before they are lost - but the memories will always live on. The Selector are still performing and they sound brilliant still. Saw them in the Colston Hall 2 years ago performing with Jools Holland. They had the whole place rocking!!!!

Brilliant night also.

8 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Sad news  - Only just heard. We are losing too many of the music idols that shaped our life at the moment. Enjoy the bands before they are lost - but the memories will always live on. The Selector are still performing and they sound brilliant still. Saw them in the Colston Hall 2 years ago performing with Jools Holland. They had the whole place rocking!!!!

Brilliant night also.

Too right mate. They are playing the Academy in October on their 40th anniversary tour. I actually saw them 40 years ago. Old c  nt! Harringtons and Fred Perrys on and we'll have a little dance shall we? 

Archived