IGNORED

The R.I.P. 2019 Thread

WhistleHappy

12 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Dr. John, the Night Tripper, died aged 77.  RIP. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._John

I was not a massive fan, but did own one of his albums back in the day, remember the song that went (something like) "Black John the Conqueror was his name, Black John the Conqueror, root in his hand" - apologies if I got the lyric wrong. Just edited as I have seen that the album I had was called "The Sun, The Moon and Herbs" from 1971.

Was sad to hear this earlier. A very influential musician.  A musician's musician, if you will.

Now beyond the help of any Dr.

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Was sad to hear this earlier. A very influential musician.  A musician's musician, if you will.

Now beyond the help of any Dr.

As they often used to say about the Velvet Underground - most people who heard them didn`t buy an album, they formed a band. Dr John was much the same IMO.

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

As they often used to say about the Velvet Underground - most people who heard them didn`t buy an album, they formed a band. Dr John was much the same IMO.

Ah.... Velvet Unground......Lou Reed......

7 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

Justin Edinburgh, Leyton Orient manager and ex Spurs defender - only 49. Died of a heart attack.  Sad.

Holy shit! That's my age.  RIP fella.  The ages of people passing recently is truly shocking.  And it's getting younger.  Should be an age to start enjoying life, not having it taken away.  Condolences to friends and family.

Gary Duncan of Quicksilver Messenger Service passed away, I can't profess to be an expert on QMS but remember owning the "Shady Grove" album, "Happy Trails" was always referenced as their classic album.  I am more acquainted with ex QMS member David Freiberg because of his work with  Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship who he still tours with (saw them twice in the last 5 or 6 years), but, going to back to Gary, another of that era and California 60s scene to leave us.. RIP.

• Admin

The Los Angeles Angels baseball team has confirmed the death of pitcher Tyler Skaggs. He was 27 years old.

The announcement was made on the team's Twitter page and came hours before they were scheduled to play against the Texas Rangers.

Southlake Police said he was found unconscious in his Hilton hotel room in Texas on Monday afternoon. No foul play is suspected, police said.

Major League Baseball (MLB) has cancelled Monday night's game.

24 minutes ago, TomF said:

John McCririck has died aged 79. Fairly unique character in horse racing..

article-2116775-0BC1FB29000005DC-32_306x423.jpg 

In his heyday erm, before he went erm, slightly eccentric..  ?  R I P   

Love him or loath him - he was certainly a unique character who once seen would never be forgotten.

Livened up Channel 4s racing coverage when appearing on our tv screens back in the 70s/80/s ..  

5 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

article-2116775-0BC1FB29000005DC-32_306x423.jpg 

In his heyday erm, before he went erm, slightly eccentric..  ?  R I P   

Love him or loath him - he was certainly a unique character who once seen would never be forgotten.

Livened up Channel 4s racing coverage when appearing on our tv screens back in the 70s/80/s ..  

Agree with that, he had very dodgy political views, no regard for anything PC, a bit of a prat, but bags of charisma.  Also seemed to get the sack a lot but kept bouncing back. Found this on his Wiki page:

"In October 2012, it was announced by Channel 4 that McCririck would not be included in the team presenting racing from January 2013,[4] which McCririck blamed on ageism,[5] taking Channel 4 to an employment tribunal. On 13 November, the tribunal ruled against McCririck: "The unanimous judgement of the Tribunal is that the Claimant's claim of direct age discrimination fails."[6] It continued, "All the evidence is that Mr McCririck's pantomime persona, as demonstrated on the celebrity television appearances and his persona when appearing on Channel 4 Racing, together with his self-described bigoted and male chauvinist views, were clearly unpalatable to a wider potential audience." The panel was told by witnesses from the television station and IMG (the production company) that he was dropped because he was "offensive" and "disgusting".[7]

Oh well, at least we would never get someone like that running the country!!

'This Country' actor Michael Sleggs 33 has died after a long battle with illness.

He played 'Slugs' in the BBC series.. (its brilliant, funny & local btw if you haven't seen it yet - new series due soon)

Sadly the untimely death of 'Slugs' means he won't be in future episodes, very sad aged just 33.

R I P  Michael Sleggs.

(ironic clip from This Country…… )

14 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Just seen Rutger Hauer died this week. Legend for Blade Runner alone.

Not sure if any truth in the rumours that coverage of his funeral is going straight to VHS.

Harrison Ford finally got him then.

Loved him in Blade Runner but IMO his most menacing performance was in The Hitcher. Truly scary.

RIP Rutger

• Admin
1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Harrison Ford finally got him then.

Loved him in Blade Runner but IMO his most menacing performance was in The Hitcher. Truly scary.

RIP Rutger

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die ...."

26 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Gordon Brand Jnr , golf pro of these parts has sadly passed away aged only 60

RIP 

Obviously not doubting you Bob but can't see anything about this?

Just seen it now mate. Very sad news.

Archived