Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

A Season of "Firsts"

With today's first away win on a New Years Day since 1903, it seems that this season has had a few "firsts" in it. I think our win at QPR was the first in a long time and I am sure there have been one or two other notable ones throughout the season. I am sure some stattos could remind us. 
We will probably be the first team to have fans clamouring for the Manager to leave as we head into the play offs. :whistle:

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

First win at Stoke since 1959. 

In the League that is. January 1995 City went there in the FA Cup and won 3-1. 

Stoke visited Ashton Gate for the F.A. Cup third round. This was goal less as was the next League game, but City won the replay at Stoke. They had taken a first half lead, but a flash of brilliance from Junior Bent sent the tie into extra time. Ian Baird gave City the lead and Brian Tinnion wrapped it up when he smashed a thunderbolt into the Stoke net. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

First at brentford in god knows??

Boxing Day 2003 City won there 2-1 and 24 Sep 2005 Brentford 2- City 3. We also won there in the League Cup in 2007 and 2009.

In the 96-97 season we met in the play offs and Brentford won both legs, but lost in the final. Six months later, November 97, City went up there and won 4-1.

3 hours ago, 22A said:

Boxing Day 2003 City won there 2-1 and 24 Sep 2005 Brentford 2- City 3. We also won there in the League Cup in 2007 and 2009.

In the 96-97 season we met in the play offs and Brentford won both legs, but lost in the final. Six months later, November 97, City went up there and won 4-1.

We won at Brentford in Gary Johnson's first game in charge. He did the fist pump and everything...we then lost 9 in a row, if I remember correctly.

22 minutes ago, asfred said:

We won at Brentford in Gary Johnson's first game in charge. He did the fist pump and everything...we then lost 9 in a row, if I remember correctly.

Had a mini bounce under GJ- few wins, the odd defeat- then came that losing streak...culminating in the loss to Bradford on a cold Tuesday night and I think we went bottom of League One?

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

With today's first away win on a New Years Day since 1903, it seems that this season has had a few "firsts" in it. I think our win at QPR was the first in a long time and I am sure there have been one or two other notable ones throughout the season. I am sure some stattos could remind us. 
We will probably be the first team to have fans clamouring for the Manager to leave as we head into the play offs. :whistle:

I thought we won at wrexham on years day 2000

So since I posted this on January 1st we have added some other notable landmarks. First 5th round of the cup in 25yrs, first run of 6 wins at this level in 113 years and only the 2nd Italian to score a goal for us. Let’s keep it going boys.

• Like 1

First time winning 6 in a row in the second tier since 1905.

In 1905 we didn't stop at 6 though, and continued until we reached 14 consecutive wins in a 24 game unbeaten run.

So 10 more games unbeaten would match a club record.

Edited by JamesBCFC
  • Like 2
26 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

First time winning 6 in a row in the second tier since 1905.

In 1905 we didn't stop at 6 though, and continued until we reached 14 consecutive wins in a 24 game unbeaten run.

So 10 more games unbeaten would match a club record.

Not bad company to keep! That season we were champions of Div 2 (Man U and Chelsea were 2nd and 3rd). The following season we were Div 1 runners up. 

7 minutes ago, eardun said:

Not bad company to keep! That season we were champions of Div 2 (Man U and Chelsea were 2nd and 3rd). The following season we were Div 1 runners up. 

It's an omen :fear:

Actually thinking about it more, wouldn't be surprised if that time in 1905-06 was the only time we won 6 in a row in the second tier until now.

Not exactly a large number of years for it to have been possible before that time, and it's taken 113/114 years to replicate.

34 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Actually thinking about it more, wouldn't be surprised if that time in 1905-06 was the only time we won 6 in a row in the second tier until now.

Not exactly a large number of years for it to have been possible before that time, and it's taken 113/114 years to replicate.

Almost - also managed it in 1901-02.

Then we had 5 in a row in 02-03, 4 in a row (twice) in 03-04, and then 5 in a row again (twice, with just one loss in between each run) in 04-05, culminating in those heady days of 1905-06.

Good times, good times.

3 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

Almost - also managed it in 1901-02.

Then we had 5 in a row in 02-03, 4 in a row (twice) in 03-04, and then 5 in a row again (twice, with just one loss in between each run) in 04-05, culminating in those heady days of 1905-06.

Good times, good times.

Was 1901-02 in the second tier?

02-03, 03-04 and 04-05 all would have been in the third tier.