IGNORED

Humble pie for new year

keynshamred

12 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

Why can't he be arrogant, most good managers have been. I think your find it's confidence in his and the teams ability. I like it and think the team needs it as there a young bunch. Why not want your team to be the best and get to the top? Nothing wrong with it at all. 

Most good managers are self-confident, but most good managers praise their team during success.

I didn’t hear the BBCRB interview, but someone who did, told me that LJ did indeed praise the players today.  That hasn’t been the case previously.

I think a fair few of us (me included - hands-up) dislike / cringe at some of the things he comes out with.  Only LJ (a very average player in his own right at this level) could answer a question about Kelly and Liveroool’s interest and turn it around to himself and say “I’ve been in the same situation myself”...before quickly adding....”not at clubs at the same level”.  Brent at his best!! ?

I think that affects our view of his overall management, not just results on the pitch.

Anyway, Fevs - talking like Big Sam in the first instance - is still enjoying his mellow period, so have another couple of stats picture to soothe the mind!!!

C5CE66D5-90BE-49AB-AA76-F9D53D809C34.thumb.jpeg.3146e4a8dff74f90431e4c4aaf0832bf.jpeg

33381220-536A-438B-BDD2-A06D752511E6.thumb.jpeg.46c028d2bd3166a4ad4488658f0254f6.jpeg

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Totally agree there’s nothing wrong with confidence and showing ambition . To come out and say though in a national newspaper that he thinks he can win the prem with us and also stating he he wants European football in 5 years is cringeworthy . He also constantly says in his press conferences things about performances that we know are rubbish after watching the games. Just be honest , that’s all I want to hear. 

Knowing Johnson and his wit Im sure half of it is tongue in cheek. Plus in papers it can be put out of perspective anyway. Don't worry about things like that it's not important!!

If sometimes after a game he makes comments, maybe after a few hours or days he will realise it was wrong, again nothing wrong with it. 20 mins after a game you can get caught up In the emotion. It happens everywhere!! 

43 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Didn't sound like the Stoke fans have resigned to football being like going to the cinema. Don't think their attitude was  MEH.

Might have been toxic but still some passion. Don't think a lot of fans are going to give the game away to a cinema club just yet.

Of course we are all passionate about our club...we wouldn't be on here otherwise.

However...the match day experience is far more bland and neutral than it's ever been. It's all very 'comfortable'. Hardly any different to walking into Cabot on a busy day.

Have a chat, have a drink and some food in a comfortable environment, all the time being aware that you being watched and under surveillance. Adhering to the restrictions in place.

Ball ache to get to, nightmare parking...poor public transport.

Before you even get to the match you are pissed off. Team puts in a dour and un entertaining performance...the missus has pissed you off, work was a nightmare, kids playing up, pie at ground was either stone cold or baked to within an inch of it's life. Can't hear the sound system, Downsey is pissing you off...

It all adds up...people come home, have a few cans of Cider (whisky in my case) and let off steam.

It's understandable tbh...but not always right in the clear light of day.

17 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You actually know that for a fact do you that people hate him ? People have actually told you that face to face have they ? Or is it just your opinion. 

I don’t want to get into any slanging marches, but you seem to have missed an awful lot of venomous personal anti LJ comments on the bad days here.

Quite frankly, I dont give a flying **** if we play shit and win, because last season we played well at times and lost loads post Xmas.

Think we need a couple of crucial signings to compete for a play off place, but we are now winning games we would have lost at this stage last season!

COYRs and get behind the team! 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Most good managers are self-confident, but most good managers praise their team during success.

I didn’t hear the BBCRB interview, but someone who did, told me that LJ did indeed praise the players today.  That hasn’t been the case previously.

I think a fair few of us (me included - hands-up) dislike / cringe at some of the things he comes out with.  Only LJ (a very average player in his own right at this level) could answer a question about Kelly and Liveroool’s interest and turn it around to himself and say “I’ve been in the same situation myself”...before quickly adding....”not at clubs at the same level”.  Brent at his best!! ?

I think that affects our view of his overall management, not just results on the pitch.

Anyway, Fevs - talking like Big Sam in the first instance - is still enjoying his mellow period, so have another couple of stats picture to soothe the mind!!!

C5CE66D5-90BE-49AB-AA76-F9D53D809C34.thumb.jpeg.3146e4a8dff74f90431e4c4aaf0832bf.jpeg

33381220-536A-438B-BDD2-A06D752511E6.thumb.jpeg.46c028d2bd3166a4ad4488658f0254f6.jpeg

Maybe he praises them in house, how would you know? I know he think alot of them and has said on countless occasions. If he isn't happy he should tell them. Nothing wrong with that. About Kelly, maybe he is protecting the player, why would he come out and talk about it. He wants him to stay. If a high bid comes in from a big club he will go! 

Don't worry yourself with his ways. He is our manager and a former player that loves the club. If he wants to be arogant then good on him!!  End of the day he is a top person and enjoys working at Bristol city!! 

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Our run is based on a fantastic defence built by Johnson, much better than any other we have had for years.

I’m on the fence regarding Johnson but if I had to say one way or the other I would say he isn’t the right man for the job. But one thing I would say is a massive feather in his cap is how solid we look this season. He must take the credit for that and for getting the keeper , Webster and Kalas into BS3.

42 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Not angry at all, very calm indeed. I notice you haven’t answered my question to you so I’ll repeat it . Are our home performances poor to watch ? 

They aren’t great but we are solid and good away from home. Losing our three best players and being where we are is quite impressive

2 hours ago, keynshamred said:

I think a few of the Johnson haters need to start eating a bit of humble pie tonight!! 8 games ago this forum was adimant he had to go. Well done Lansdown for sticking by your man, when it could have been easy to get rid. Just shows what patience can do for a club. I know it must continue but signs are getting better now. 

That is 8 good results in a row now. What a great run of form we are on and I think Johnson deserves alot of credit. I said a while ago when we were on our bad run that we were missing a few injured players and some coming back to fitness. O'dowda has made a massive difference since being back, someone who can commit players and relieve pressure and give the opposition something to worry about. Nice to see Bailey back today and he did very well, there are others who have come back to fitness and form! 

Our away form and defensive performances have been some of the best I've known in many years supporting this club, especially in this league. Defensively is definitely down to good coaching and organisation from the coaching side. I can't remember the last season we won so many away games and yet again comes down to setting up the team right, with good tactics and the right characters in the team. Well done Johnson! You carry on doing a great job for our great club. Long may it continue!! You reds!! 

I'll eat humble pie if we are still in or around the play offs come April

Or at the very least higher then we finished last season

31 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

I’m on the fence regarding Johnson but if I had to say one way or the other I would say he isn’t the right man for the job. But one thing I would say is a massive feather in his cap is how solid we look this season. He must take the credit for that and for getting the keeper , Webster and Kalas into BS3.

Also on the fence, but I will also gladly eat humble pie if he sorts out the midfield when sides sit back and wait for us.

The defence has improved dramatically, we look pretty solid in most games. Still lots of work to be done, but this run of 8 games gives me some confidence for 2019. Kalas and Maenpaa look class IMO!

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

They aren’t great but we are solid and good away from home. Losing our three best players and being where we are is quite impressive

Agree to a certain extent but it’s the main reason attendances have dropped , it’s not enjoyable to watch. Now if he can find a way of making us more fluid at home and keep the solidity away from home we’ll be onto a winner. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

You’re right. I’m not your buddy. I’m not sure that needed pointing out. 

And I have no anti LJ agenda. I just think we’re playing shit football and the bloke keeps saying stupid things that embarrass him (and our club) make him look like a bellend.

And do you genuinely think it makes my opinion on our football any different that I watch from home? Do I see something different to you? Nope. I don’t. You’re just attempting to play a rather pathetic superfan card. 

So if you don’t mind, I’ll continue to be unconvinced by LJ from my armchair. That alright by you?

I don’t see how you can realistically put forward a well balanced argument when you haven’t been to a game. It’s a bit like saying you’ve been to a gig but listened to a download. 

28 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I'll eat humble pie if we are still in or around the play offs come April

Or at the very least higher then we finished last season

I'll look forward to it!! This squad is better than last year, especially at the back and surely we must have a better Jan than last year! ? 

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

Of course we are all passionate about our club...we wouldn't be on here otherwise.

However...the match day experience is far more bland and neutral than it's ever been. It's all very 'comfortable'. Hardly any different to walking into Cabot on a busy day.

Have a chat, have a drink and some food in a comfortable environment, all the time being aware that you being watched and under surveillance. Adhering to the restrictions in place.

Ball ache to get to, nightmare parking...poor public transport.

Before you even get to the match you are pissed off. Team puts in a dour and un entertaining performance...the missus has pissed you off, work was a nightmare, kids playing up, pie at ground was either stone cold or baked to within an inch of it's life. Can't hear the sound system, Downsey is pissing you off...

It all adds up...people come home, have a few cans of Cider (whisky in my case) and let off steam.

It's understandable tbh...but not always right in the clear light of day.

Oh get where your coming from but match days change for most throughout life.

For me quite a few stages, going with your dad, then East End, taking your kids, etc,etc.

Don't agree with you about being pissed off before the game. If it's been a shit day or week, then getting to the gate is a godsend. Few beers, pie or whatever you do is great. Team coming out roar of expectation, no one gives a shit about Downsey when we go 1 up in the first minute.

Of coarse  half the time we start shit continue in the same mode and get beat 1/0.  But such is football and supporting this crazy club there is always the next game and new hope. Like now 8 unbeaten without playing brilliant football things are looking up.

Still there's the next two winnable home games to bring us back down earth.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Leveller said:

I don’t want to get into any slanging marches, but you seem to have missed an awful lot of venomous personal anti LJ comments on the bad days here.

I also think that there won’t be many City fans who hate him, there may be some who want him replaced, some who think he is poor at the press side of things, others, myself included who are still sceptical and look at this season’s home games and wonder if he has what it takes to get us past where we are now.  

It’s quite possible to be critical of someone’s work, without hating them, I don’t hate him, I don’t love him, have never met him and unless anyone has and had  really negative experiences of him, I doubt that any fan genuinely hates him.

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

It’s not very classy starting threads like this - but it’s inevitable when we get the “Johnson out” threads every time we lose a couple of games.

Patience is currently being rewarded and lets hope it continues. Rowett would have been quite a popular choice on OTIB a while back.

He's overrated- I remember saying it back in the summer on here.

His football in the main is quite reactive. Yet Stoke being freshly relegated and yet with quite a lot of good players on paper would be expected to take the initiative at this level. The two are diametrically opposed and their current inconsistencies/travails are no huge surprise.

10 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I think the difference is when we're losing you still see the pro LJ posters coming out in his defence.  When you have a run of good results there is a noticeable reduction in post counts for certain posters.  And you tend to get a tranche of new posters off the back of a negative run.  

Yep totally agree. Even on the losing runs i was posting positives along with others. Certain people on here that go missing or change there tune when we're doing well.

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So no evidence of that claim....Ok, fair enough....

You finished eating that pie, BS4? You're a quick eater. I'm still on mine and of course, I am totally devastated that the team is getting results, if people want to believe that crap.

Humble pie tastes absolutely fine, keep serving it up and I'll be over the moon

Well done, LJ and the lads on TODAY'S job

I don’t hate him and I don’t rate him, I pay my money the same as anyone else, if he ***** up team selection I see it the same as everyone else, if he leaves it too late to change the game I see that too alongside everyone else, he starts injured players, he selects a young team against premiership opponents and dumps them after they do well -  we all see the flaws, we all love to see OUR team do well, we all want to see OUR team do better - thinking that an experienced coach could do better, a fact bourne out by the mistakes he has made, is part of being a loyal fan - in the end it’s OUR club, OUR team and if we think the person running OUR team is not up to the job - we are entitled to pull him up on it!

Its Bristol City, my connection with the club goes back to the 1960’s - it’s MY club and part of MY heritage  - I’m friends with a number of former players and if I or they feel the need to disagree with the way OUR/MY club is being run now I am entitled to voice it, as is everyone else!

COYR

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

You finished eating that pie, BS4? You're a quick eater. I'm still on mine and of course, I am totally devastated that the team is getting results, if people want to believe that crap.

Humble pie tastes absolutely fine, keep serving it up and iI'll be over the moon

Well done, LJ and the lads on yesterday.

Eh?! On the Merrydown already AD?! The game was today....and I ain’t eating any humble pie, absolutely no need to, I haven’t said anything on here that warrants pigging out on the old humble pie, but I do detect the sardonic tone within your post....

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Eh?! On the Merrydown already AD?! The game was today....and I ain’t eating any humble pie, absolutely no need to, I haven’t said anything on here that warrants pigging out on the old humble pie, but I do detect the sardonic tone within your post....

Cheers   :laugh: Edited

Back to that pie

Well detected

1 hour ago, keynshamred said:

Why can't he be arrogant, most good managers have been. I think your find it's confidence in his and the teams ability. I like it and think the team needs it as there a young bunch. Why not want your team to be the best and get to the top? Nothing wrong with it at all. 

Can I respectfully suggest that you review the ‘young bunch’ comment. I think you will find that the starting line-up today could hardly be called young in football terms.

In life in general, yes, but in football not even remotely young.

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Can I respectfully suggest that you review the ‘young bunch’ comment. I think you will find that the starting line-up today could hardly be called young in football terms.

In life in general, yes, but in football not even remotely young.

Spot on.....fed up of the ‘young, inexperienced, still developing’ rhetoric about our squad....we’ve got Chelsea’s longest-serving player at the centre of our defence.....

Archived