IGNORED

8 unbeaten & 16 points

Bar BS3

What an impressive turn around, off the back of the worrying losing run! 

It leaves us only 5 points off the play offs and probably only needing another 3 wins all season to ensure another season at this level, which always has to be the first target. 

I know some will never change their tune, but surely now it’s time to accept that LJ is NOT out of his depth, even if he is inconsistent (like most other managers) 

Nobodys getting carried away, but it’s impressive to see the recent revival. 

Well done everyone involved  

Thought it was interesting hearing the Stoke fans today laying into the highly rated Gary Rowett.

"You don't know what you're doing.....your football is shit....." and plenty of boos.

Tough league and LJ and his team are doing a better job than many give them credit for. 

Predicting a few more ups and downs this season though - how will the reaction be during our next dip?

I'm happy with the turnaround, I'm also happy with the desire and heart showed by many of the players, however until LJ shows that tactically shows us that he knows what he is doing there will always be a doubt from me. Results are great, but you would think in a run of 8 games unbeaten and 16 points we'd be able to say "we performed well", however, I don't feel that I could make that statement. 
In the last 8 games, we've been very fortunate in a couple, we've fought hard in many and we've also been fortunate to be the better of two bad teams in a few. I'll start to change my tune when LJ shows us that this team can play football and take charge of a game, right now, even with this unbeaten run I cannot remember the last game where we took control and looked convincingly the better team.

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It leaves us only 5 points off the play offs and probably only needing another 3 wins all season to ensure another season at this level, which always has to be the first target. 

I know some will never change their tune, but surely now it’s time to accept that LJ is NOT out of his depth, even if he is inconsistent (like most other managers) 

The squad are playing for the coaches. 

LJ has adopted more realistic tactics, game management and we are more solid and harder to beat . 

There is still a lot of work to do but we are going in the right direction .

To be where we are without playing spectacularly well fills me with deep, warm joy. 

Also cant help to say lolz at the shitehouses who give LJ stick and question his position as our manager. 

We have been in touch with the playoffs for weeks and are quietly doing our thing picking up points.

Look up the table and you have to appreciate our efforts given the player turnover from the summer.

??

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm happy with the turnaround, I'm also happy with the desire and heart showed by many of the players, however until LJ shows that tactically shows us that he knows what he is doing there will always be a doubt from me. Results are great, but you would think in a run of 8 games unbeaten and 16 points we'd be able to say "we performed well", however, I don't feel that I could make that statement. 
In the last 8 games, we've been very fortunate in a couple, we've fought hard in many and we've also been fortunate to be the better of two bad teams in a few. I'll start to change my tune when LJ shows us that this team can play football and take charge of a game, right now, even with this unbeaten run I cannot remember the last game where we took control and looked convincingly the better team.

In this division that’s not going to happen too often.

The teams are so close . 

Today we won because we outfought the opposition and ground them down mentally.

That is achieved with a good spirit in the club . 

We are doing OK. I like it!

We were better than given credit for in he first half against Rotherham and today gave a very good account of ourselves.

I'll leave it to Ole for the scores on the doors but for me its about Maenpaa, fantastic penalty save and a worldy at the end of the first half!...Magnificent...You could see the momentum that gave us. Players pouring claret refusing to go off and a work rate of 110% all over the field.

FA Cup tie Saturday and a chance for a few and a chance for another crack at a Premier League Club....Keep looking up fellas (and girls)

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

In this division that’s not going to happen too often.

The teams are so close . 

Today we won because we outfought the opposition and ground them down mentally.

That is achieved with a good spirit in the club . 

Oh I don't disagree but you on these points, however, Bristol City as a club needs the fans to want to go to Ashton Gate and watch them play, they need to inspire the fans to want to wear a City shirt, buy memorabilia, subscribe to BCTV etc as that's what drives up the clubs financial position and allows them to spend more without breaking the FFP rules. The issue right now is that even with the teams run of good form we are not entertaining to watch which means less people attend, more people cancel their subscriptions, less people buy shirts etc... all of this has a big impact on the clubs ability to progress.

This division as you said is not one that can be dominated with ease if at all, so in order to progress the club needs all things to be working as intended, especially the fans satisfaction. Right now it's fair to say most are happy, but it's also fair to say that there are a lot of fans who are not happy, not entertained with how we play and that's a loss to the club. LJ genuinely needs to light a fire under the fans and get them going again, results are a great way to do that but when week in week out the performances don't match the scorelines the games are quickly forgotten. 
A good example today is Hull, they've won 6 of their last 7 games and although we're higher in the league than them they decimated Bolton 6-0 today, I am more than confident in saying that they'll not have many fans shying away from their ground any time soon and that plenty of extra shirt sales and TV subscriptions have come as the result of that. Today's win was a great result for us, it really was but we're still yet to see a convincing win this season. Even the games we've won by scoring more have not been overly convincing and whilst the players are obviously unaffected and fighting hard it has a big impact on fans when they can't remember the last time they went into a game feeling confident of a convincing win.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Thought it was interesting hearing the Stoke fans today laying into the highly rated Gary Rowett.

"You don't know what you're doing.....your football is shit....." and plenty of boos.

Tough league and LJ and his team are doing a better job than many give them credit for. 

Predicting a few more ups and downs this season though - how will the reaction be during our next dip?

Know a Derby fan & that was what he was saying before about Rowett. Boring football etc etc. So maybe not so highly rated by his own fans! COYR 

Supporters are fickle. If we are winning we will go. One Nil to The Arsenal anyone!?

the issue until now we have been playing what some describe as boring football and not getting results until recently. 

Two wins in the next two games will see a bumper travelling support to Forest and Borough 

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Supporters are fickle. If we are winning we will go. One Nil to The Arsenal anyone!?

the issue until now we have been playing what some describe as boring football and not getting results until recently. 

Two wins in the next two games will see a bumper travelling support to Forest and Borough 

One at a time

12 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

One at a time

Of course! Can’t help but feel Huddersfield is a free hit and a chance for Morrell Adelekun and Eisa. LJ commented on radio drivel there was a signing In The offing but the other club put that on hold. Mmmm anyone fired a manager recently?

Spike :Catch 22.If fans can't be bothered to go to the live games due to RB, they will never know how good watching City can be. Today a case in point only a thousand make the effort of going to an easy away game.

One can easily guess from this thread who attends matches and who attends to the forum with views and comments

I thought our performance today was magnificent and most of the thousand would agree. Suppose we ought to care about the 'missing many' but then there are other things in the world to put right too. 

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Oh I don't disagree but you on these points, however, Bristol City as a club needs the fans to want to go to Ashton Gate and watch them play, they need to inspire the fans to want to wear a City shirt, buy memorabilia, subscribe to BCTV etc as that's what drives up the clubs financial position and allows them to spend more without breaking the FFP rules. The issue right now is that even with the teams run of good form we are not entertaining to watch which means less people attend, more people cancel their subscriptions, less people buy shirts etc... all of this has a big impact on the clubs ability to progress.

This division as you said is not one that can be dominated with ease if at all, so in order to progress the club needs all things to be working as intended, especially the fans satisfaction. Right now it's fair to say most are happy, but it's also fair to say that there are a lot of fans who are not happy, not entertained with how we play and that's a loss to the club. LJ genuinely needs to light a fire under the fans and get them going again, results are a great way to do that but when week in week out the performances don't match the scorelines the games are quickly forgotten. 
A good example today is Hull, they've won 6 of their last 7 games and although we're higher in the league than them they decimated Bolton 6-0 today, I am more than confident in saying that they'll not have many fans shying away from their ground any time soon and that plenty of extra shirt sales and TV subscriptions have come as the result of that. Today's win was a great result for us, it really was but we're still yet to see a convincing win this season. Even the games we've won by scoring more have not been overly convincing and whilst the players are obviously unaffected and fighting hard it has a big impact on fans when they can't remember the last time they went into a game feeling confident of a convincing win.

The second half versus Stoke at home when we were losing 1-0 gave me hope and we totally dominated them and but for fantastic saves by Butland, we would have won that game. The attacking intent and drive was what we as fans wanted and although we failed to get that elusive goal I would suggest most of us went away from that game feeling pleased with how we played but disappointed with the result.

Its as if the coaches and LJ have since then changed the approach and gone for a more pragmatic and slightly more defensive plan. The lack of entertainment and goals have seen many become despondent and like myself find it a struggle to be motivated to attend games in spite of being a ST holder.

If by some bizarre turn of events we either got promoted via the play offs or sneaked an auto place playing the same style of football as we have that has got us to the current 8 games unbeaten, would we be bothered? Would we be replicating the like of Cardiff and their promotion season?

We would all love to play free flowing entertaining football with goals galore but does that get you promoted out of this league if you are on a limited budget?

perhaps we all need to be appreciative that we are a hard working well drilled defensive side that can win by the odd goal by grinding teams down physically which is very similar to our low scoring play off final team 10 years ago - perhaps GJ has been passing on some tips to his son?

Who knows what the next 5 months will bring but not losing is a good habit to have and breeds confidence, aside from the Forest away game the rest of our games are what I see as winnable and by the end of January, early Feb we could quite easily be in the top 6

Fancy being this seasons Cardiff???

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Well summarised BB, think the bit in bold is a good view.

The revival looks good!

287D66E6-B795-4F19-AB17-2BF4CEA99B4F.thumb.jpeg.5e0b4d94076191be68a08a0868aed002.jpeg

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Great post Spike. I think this is where most of us are. We love this club and only want us to succeed and we all get frustrated when things don't go right and we can all see we are not far away from being a decent top half team with a little bit more investment. Tactfully I think at times LJ needs some help and I do think he would benefit from someone coming in with a better understanding next to him rather than him being hounded every time things don't come off. Sometimes we all need to remember how young he is and is still learning me included. Fantastic away win and hopefully this gives us a great foundation to move forward with in to NY. COYR 

5 hours ago, Alessandro said:

The same Gary Rowett that everybody wanted here..?!

It just goes to show that, even during the bad spells, replacing your manager guarantees you nothing and there is nothing to say that we wouldn’t be worse off now, if we had done that. 

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It just goes to show that, even during the bad spells, replacing your manager guarantees you nothing and there is nothing to say that we wouldn’t be worse off now, if we had done that. 

Not everyone!! ?

I liked the job he finished off at Burton (from Hasselbaink), and then at Brum, but he lost credit at Derby, when he started being a moaner, and lost even more credit when he jumped to Stoke.

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Did they ?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Not everyone!! ?

I liked the job he finished off at Burton (from Hasselbaink), and then at Brum, but he lost credit at Derby, when he started being a moaner, and lost even more credit when he jumped to Stoke.

I agree, although it was after his time at Brum that the vast majority, if not all (I was and posted at the time that I was unconvinced he’s be the right option for a change) thought he’d be the mutts nuts. Derby & Stoke fans probably thought so too, at that time. 

My point is, that why are people so convinced that replacing LJ would assure us of improvement..? If we improved much on where we are right now, then we’d be punching above our weight. 

It wasn’t just Rowett either. My preference at that time would have been Nigel Pearson. He also went elsewhere and failed, like so many others always do. 

The grass is very rarely any greener..! 

Fantastic getting 16 points from last 8 games, Now we need a bit of style so we are actually entertained!

Interesting stats I haven't seen mentioned bearing in mind the dire second half to last season. Average points per game for whole of last season was 1.46 This season over first 26 games 1.46! Can we dream?

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I agree, although it was after his time at Brum that the vast majority, if not all (I was and posted at the time that I was unconvinced he’s be the right option for a change) thought he’d be the mutts nuts. Derby & Stoke fans probably thought so too, at that time. 

My point is, that why are people so convinced that replacing LJ would assure us of improvement..? If we improved much on where we are right now, then we’d be punching above our weight. 

It wasn’t just Rowett either. My preference at that time would have been Nigel Pearson. He also went elsewhere and failed, like so many others always do. 

The grass is very rarely any greener..! 

Too right.

My pick would be one of:- Uwe Rosler, Garry Monk or Paul Cook.

But no guarantees. LJ had ridden a potential storm and built momentum. It’s now in his court to keep going.  I hope that he’s seen a bit of light in using a consistent style (small tweaks here and there) and consistent team selection.  Adelakun is probably the only slightly ‘random’ selection since the win at Ipswich when Eros started from nowhere.  Adelakun in hindsight might have been given a start with a view to giving Weimann a rest ahead of today and being up against Pieters or Indi-Martins.

7 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Fantastic run of form, just at the perfect time. 

Massive praise to LJ and the City players.

Now the hard work starts - let's press on for the top 6!

Fantastic run of results for sure 8 unbeaten but not fantastic form when you consider how hard it was to break down 9 man Rotherham.

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Fantastic run of results for sure 8 unbeaten but not fantastic form when you consider how hard it was to break down 9 man Rotherham.

If poor form puts 3 points on the table, I'll take that from every game,

Not every game needs to be pretty.

Archived