IGNORED

8 unbeaten & 16 points

Bar BS3

14 hours ago, Spike said:

Oh I don't disagree but you on these points, however, Bristol City as a club needs the fans to want to go to Ashton Gate and watch them play, they need to inspire the fans to want to wear a City shirt, buy memorabilia, subscribe to BCTV etc as that's what drives up the clubs financial position and allows them to spend more without breaking the FFP rules. The issue right now is that even with the teams run of good form we are not entertaining to watch which means less people attend, more people cancel their subscriptions, less people buy shirts etc... all of this has a big impact on the clubs ability to progress.

This division as you said is not one that can be dominated with ease if at all, so in order to progress the club needs all things to be working as intended, especially the fans satisfaction. Right now it's fair to say most are happy, but it's also fair to say that there are a lot of fans who are not happy, not entertained with how we play and that's a loss to the club. LJ genuinely needs to light a fire under the fans and get them going again, results are a great way to do that but when week in week out the performances don't match the scorelines the games are quickly forgotten. 
A good example today is Hull, they've won 6 of their last 7 games and although we're higher in the league than them they decimated Bolton 6-0 today, I am more than confident in saying that they'll not have many fans shying away from their ground any time soon and that plenty of extra shirt sales and TV subscriptions have come as the result of that. Today's win was a great result for us, it really was but we're still yet to see a convincing win this season. Even the games we've won by scoring more have not been overly convincing and whilst the players are obviously unaffected and fighting hard it has a big impact on fans when they can't remember the last time they went into a game feeling confident of a convincing win.

Hull got 12k yesterday.........that’s the official attendance not the number that turned up.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Fantastic run of form, just at the perfect time. 

Massive praise to LJ and the City players.

Now the hard work starts - let's press on for the top 6!

We could run a sweep stake kev for dates when you will come out with 

‘ we’re definitely going to make the play offs ‘ 

or 

‘ we’re going up automatic ‘

??

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

or 

Nothing wrong with being upbeat.

We’re not all miserable buggers Stevie.

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I agree, although it was after his time at Brum that the vast majority, if not all (I was and posted at the time that I was unconvinced he’s be the right option for a change) thought he’d be the mutts nuts. Derby & Stoke fans probably thought so too, at that time. 

My point is, that why are people so convinced that replacing LJ would assure us of improvement..? If we improved much on where we are right now, then we’d be punching above our weight. 

It wasn’t just Rowett either. My preference at that time would have been Nigel Pearson. He also went elsewhere and failed, like so many others always do. 

The grass is very rarely any greener..! 

Agree with this undoubtedly.

The problem with Rowett, as I posted back in the summer- well a problem anyway- is he's tactically limited. Fairly reactive in his tactics, I wouldn't have been so keen in him had we been interested in him. Works at certain clubs- Stoke definitely with some of their places and a decade in PL? Need to be taking initiative and Rowett's traditional mindset v their current squad at this level- big mismatch.

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

or 

??

Ha, ha, do you know what, I was close to posting one of those threads this morning, but managed to stop the urge!

16 hours ago, Spike said:

I'm happy with the turnaround, I'm also happy with the desire and heart showed by many of the players, however until LJ shows that tactically shows us that he knows what he is doing there will always be a doubt from me. Results are great, but you would think in a run of 8 games unbeaten and 16 points we'd be able to say "we performed well", however, I don't feel that I could make that statement. 
In the last 8 games, we've been very fortunate in a couple, we've fought hard in many and we've also been fortunate to be the better of two bad teams in a few. I'll start to change my tune when LJ shows us that this team can play football and take charge of a game, right now, even with this unbeaten run I cannot remember the last game where we took control and looked convincingly the better team.

Hit the nail on the head for me.

With such a great unbeaten run on paper, the performances, bar yesterday's, have been diabolical. Brentford was dire and managing to beat a 9 man Rotherham team 1 nil isn't exhilarating stuff.   

18 minutes ago, Undy English said:

With such a great unbeaten run on paper, the performances, bar yesterday's, have been diabolical. Brentford was dire and managing to beat a 9 man Rotherham team 1 nil isn't exhilarating stuff.   

Birmingham, Norwich and Derby were diabolical performances??

20 minutes ago, RedDave said:

People say it’s good to play badly and win.....that result is more important than performance......except when they are clawing around to find a stick to beat Johnson with!

Coaches often get scoffed at when they say that they focus more on performances than results but they are right imo. So there is a case for not getting carried away with the current run.

Having said that, the acid test for fans who discount the results because the performances aren't that good is whether they are consistent and say results don't matter if we have a spell of good performances that end in defeats.

34 minutes ago, Undy English said:

I'm with you...and like you can only comment on the performances I've witnessed...and those against Brentford and Rotherham were really uninspiring - if not poor given the talent in our squad.

I'm not at all convinced that LJ is the man we need to take the club forward. I've said many times on here that I think we need a management and coaching team with experience of achieving the success that SL tells us he wants for the club...and not people learning on the job. That said I'm very happy for LJ to make me eat my words and prove that he has it in him...and if that's what he's going to be doing for the rest of this season that'll be wonderful!

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm with you...and like you can only comment on the performances I've witnessed...and those against Brentford and Rotherham were really uninspiring - if not poor given the talent in our squad.

I'm not at all convinced that LJ is the man we need to take the club forward. I've said many times on here that I think we need a management and coaching team with experience of achieving the success that SL tells us he wants for the club...and not people learning on the job. That said I'm very happy for LJ to make me eat my words and prove that he has it in him...and if that's what he's going to be doing for the rest of this season that'll be wonderful!

Rotherham yes, unconvincing. Brentford? Can't agree- draw as many as they lose away, good players just a side going through a bad patch. They have the wrong manager maybe but anyone expecting big things v them...was likely to be disappointed IMO.

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Rotherham yes, unconvincing. Brentford? Can't agree- draw as many as they lose away, good players just a side going through a bad patch. They have the wrong manager maybe but anyone expecting big things v them...was likely to be disappointed IMO.

It's all a matter of opinions of course...but I wasn't expecting 'big things' against Brentford, who have been a tricky side in almost every fixture I've seen us play against them down the years, home and away. I was expecting to see us set up to deliver a confident performance at home in front of a Boxing Day crowd. Instead I thought they bossed the game once they equalised and we looked disjointed. I wasn't alone, people sat around me thought the same. Not for the first time Johnson looked devoid of ideas to change the momentum of the game. At the moment he's clearly doing something different and more effective away from home.

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

It's all a matter of opinions of course...but I wasn't expecting 'big things' against Brentford, who have been a tricky side in almost every fixture I've seen us play against them down the years, home and away. I was expecting to see us set up to deliver a confident performance at home in front of a Boxing Day crowd. Instead I thought they bossed the game once they equalised and we looked disjointed. I wasn't alone, people sat around me thought the same. Not for the first time Johnson looked devoid of ideas to change the momentum of the game. At the moment he's clearly doing something different and more effective away from home.

Had it down as a draw so it went roughly as I expected- as you say though all about opinions. They're a possession based team though despite their troubles and we matched them in that regard, FWIW- at least statistically.

Away from home...we're better without the ball at this time I feel, so it suits us better. Games like Stoke and Birmingham away, where sides either with managers or mindsets that are similarly not possession dominant suit us brilliantly.

34 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Funny how people have cried out for Warnock and when we get more Warnock style games we hear moans about the performances 

Equally funny that LJ worshipers praise him when he adopts Warnock results-based football approach.

Not quite so funny though now that Warnock is in the Premiership. 

33 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Funny how people have cried out for Warnock and when we get more Warnock style games we hear moans about the performances 

Funny how you keep looking to provoke our own fans for not falling in line with your own expectations/views. 

I'm still happy for LJ to prove me wrong when I say I don't see any further progress under his management. If he proves me wrong then happy days and right now the results are good. Now I want to see us play football that isn't genuinely putting people off from watching us. 

Over the Christmas and New Year period I've seen a lot of "why aren't we on the red button" and the answer is simple, mid-table games with no real entertainment value at all. If I were Sky and had been watching our games recently I wouldn't even consider putting us on as we're dire to watch even as a neutral. 

Archived