IGNORED

Stoke fans taking it well....(Merged)

cityexile

45 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Today's didn't really bother us. Way too early to care. We'd have been a bit puzzled as to what to do if we'd scored. It's the last minute ones that kill you, and there's been a few too many of them that have really, really cost us. 

Welcome to OTIB!

Just out of interest why is your season turning so poor? The squad you have is top six in championship as a minimum. Personally thought Rowett was a good appointment, but clearly not working 

38 minutes ago, Sello said:

In that video, did I hear a disparaging remark about "Downs Syndrome"? I think I did. Another example of a description of a disability being used as a term of abuse. This has forever blighted our language. Disgusting and unforgiveable. 

He did say it and for somebody asking for likes to promote his videos, he can stick them where the sun don’t shine.

should report him for showing actual coverage of a game, ******* manual manipulator!

23 minutes ago, daored said:

Welcome to OTIB!

Just out of interest why is your season turning so poor? The squad you have is top six in championship as a minimum. Personally thought Rowett was a good appointment, but clearly not working 

Cheers, though I first posted on here when we drew you in the League cup last season.

Our season isn't turning poor, it's never got going. There are all sorts of theories, but it's probably that we've not improved the defence from the absolute car crash that was letting in 4 goals every other game in the Premier League for two seasons. Look what happened today. We slung cross after cross in to no effect. You put one in, and yer man was there with no one near him as he picked his spot.

Rowett is a Pulis-style negative/ cautious manager. He's probably rightly scared to leave his defence exposed, so normally keeps midfielders close to the defence. This has a knock on effect of us usually leaving too much of a gap between midfield and attack.

That's just on the pitch. Off it, there appear to be all sorts of issues which have been there for a number of years. Difficult to explain in a single messageboard post. But basically, the club needs a complete overhaul with proper footballing knowledge being brought in to replace people who've frittered away millions on poor players and cost us our Premier League place from a position of apparent stability.

I'd start with a new manager right now. Preferably someone who knows a couple of decent pacy and intelligent defenders that we can bring in pronto.

13 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Cheers, though I first posted on here when we drew you in the League cup last season.

Our season isn't turning poor, it's never got going. There are all sorts of theories, but it's probably that we've not improved the defence from the absolute car crash that was letting in 4 goals every other game in the Premier League for two seasons. Look what happened today. We slung cross after cross in to no effect. You put one in, and yer man was there with no one near him as he picked his spot.

Rowett is a Pulis-style negative/ cautious manager. He's probably rightly scared to leave his defence exposed, so normally keeps midfielders close to the defence. This has a knock on effect of us usually leaving too much of a gap between midfield and attack.

That's just on the pitch. Off it, there appear to be all sorts of issues which have been there for a number of years. Difficult to explain in a single messageboard post. But basically, the club needs a complete overhaul with proper footballing knowledge being brought in to replace people who've frittered away millions on poor players and cost us our Premier League place from a position of apparent stability.

I'd start with a new manager right now. Preferably someone who knows a couple of decent pacy and intelligent defenders that we can bring in pronto.

It’s certainly interesting to hear views, like most difficult to gage looking in. 

The comment about the cross is interesting , but looking at your players, got to ask why.

Best of luck for rest of season 

2 minutes ago, MrBibs said:

Loved listening to the Radio Stoke phone in waiting to get out of the car park. Couldn’t believe how quiet their fans were all match. Thought they were supposed to be the loudest in the country.

We were. But that was in our first two Premier League seasons, a long time ago now. The lack of atmosphere has been a much discussed issue on the Oatcake for years.

8 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

like Stoke lose to little old Bristol City?? “We’ve been in the premier league don’t you know” how very dare you   

What makes it more infuriating is that they were the team that nobbled Cheesley when we were last in in the top flight....?

40 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Done

I bring my son, with Down’s syndrome, to most home games. When I heard this comment i was disgusted. That said he was a young chap who probably hasn’t come across anybody with Down’s syndrome or anybody who has an equal amount of passion for the game... if not more.. than most football fans.  Rather than just reporting I may extend the offer of a pint next time stoke are in town so that he can truly appreciate what a stupid and hurtful thing that is to say.  

2 hours ago, Dreamkiller said:

The comment about creating chances to create chances comes from a comment Rowett made after last weeks dire performance against Bolton. We created the square root of flip all during the match and afterwards Rowett said there were a number of occasions when we got into positions to create chances but wasted them. I suspect it will remain a standing joke for as long as he's at the club. 

We really don't think we're better than anyond else. We've stunk the place out for three years now, but expected to be doing far, far better than we are in this division. We've probably had 65-75% possession in most of our home games, but just can't unlock teams who come with a plan. At 0-1 I said to my daughter that this had 0-2 written all over it. We didn't disappoint.

No qualms from me over the result. We're beyond predictable and you executed the plan to perfection - even the penalty didn't get us too excited. Check our record. We've scored 2 from the last 9 (I think), while conceding 27 from the last 27 pens against us. You couldn't make it up. 

Anyway, well done today, and good luck for the rest of the season.

Cheers. Do you think Stoke would have done better if they had kept Paul Lambert?

6 minutes ago, bch said:

I bring my son, with Down’s syndrome, to most home games. When I heard this comment i was disgusted. That said he was a young chap who probably hasn’t come across anybody with Down’s syndrome or anybody who has an equal amount of passion for the game... if not more.. than most football fans.  Rather than just reporting I may extend the offer of a pint next time stoke are in town so that he can truly appreciate what a stupid and hurtful thing that is to say.  

I too was disgusted and it is humbling to see your consolatory comments. I hope his Stoke followers will also offer the necessary correction.

2 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Cheers. Do you think Stoke would have done better if they had kept Paul Lambert?

Lambert would have realised what a mess the defence is, and presumably would have targeted that area for strengthening in the summer. Rowett was apparently persuaded that the defence was OK. He knows better now.

He was also a very cautious manager though. After Pulis there's only so many of them that a fanbase can take before they upsticks and take to playing tiddlywinks instead.

Lambert seemed a decent bloke, but he only won two games for us, with one of those being after we were already relegated. He had next to no luck though - a last minute Charlie Adam penalty miss v Brighton destroyed us psychologically. A win that day and I reckon we'd have stayed up. Penalties aren't really our thing I suppose.

18 minutes ago, City Cat said:

What makes it more infuriating is that they were the team that nobbled Cheesley when we were last in in the top flight....?

Yes remember it well. Tuesday night after the win at Highbury. Drew 1/1.

Much as I blamed Shilton for years, and told anyone that would listen that we would of been contenders, probably just a keeper coming for the ball foot outstretched to defend himself. 

Or dose anybody have a view that Shilton deliberately done Cheese that night?

10 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Much as I blamed Shilton for years, and told anyone that would listen that we would of been contenders, probably just a keeper coming for the ball foot outstretched to defend himself. 

Cheesley said it wasn’t Shilton’s fault, but it doesn’t stop me blaming him!

16 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

I always thought he did but it was at the Open End and you didn`t get 50 replays of it from every conceivable angle like you do these days so I`ll take the Cheese`s word for it I reckon.

I remember our mini bus being sandwiched between a load of coaches full of Stoke fans after our LDV final defeat to them at Wembley all those years ago. Took some serious abuse that day, so today was a bit of long over due pay back after seeing the melt down from their fans.

They can give Rowett stick as he clearly isn’t doing a great job but the problem doesn’t rest with just him surely? They have a squad full of massive time prima donnas. They money being paid to some of those ‘footballers’ is frightening.

38 minutes ago, bch said:

Thank you for this. For me, it replaces the anger behind my initial posting with an understanding and indeed, tolerant approach 

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I always thought he did but it was at the Open End and you didn`t get 50 replays of it from every conceivable angle like you do these days so I`ll take the Cheese`s word for it I reckon.

Yeah never know. Shilton didn't come across as the type.

Such a shame as Cheesley could have been something special.

Thought he was on a par with Paul Mariner remember watching him for Plymouth, he was a top striker.

48 minutes ago, bch said:

He has at least had the decency to post another video to apologise.

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah never know. Shilton didn't come across as the type.

Such a shame as Cheesley could have been something special.

Thought he was on a par with Paul Mariner remember watching him for Plymouth, he was a top striker.

Shilton wasn`t nasty on the pitch TBF but he did have an unpleasant side to him as various court appearances back in the day will testify.

Let's be straight, we were not good at all, far from it. Workmanlike but still plenty of loose play and very little creativity. When have we been pretty decent in the past year? Other than Allen and Etebo in the first half I thought they were pretty useless and didn't really look like scoring at all, that wasn't particularly down to our good defending (other than Kelly who was top notch and had Ince comfortably showing him the outside which as a wrong footer he couldn't take).

All in all two poor teams but only one who could take their chance from a good cross and a couple of defensive errors for the second.

Archived