IGNORED

Stoke fans taking it well....(Merged)

cityexile

10 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Fair play. That was the right thing to do.

Most of us get a bit carried away at football, it’s very tribal, but surely you have a filter before you open your mouth? Fair shout for the apology but I doubt he would’ve if there hadn’t been uproar on her and other social media. 

I can get Uber carried away and act in a way that I wouldn’t normally act at work or socially, but I’d never resort to this kind of language / insult. His video says quite a lot about him, sadly 

6 minutes ago, gl1 said:

Most of us get a bit carried away at football, it’s very tribal, but surely you have a filter before you open your mouth? Fair shout for the apology but I doubt he would’ve if there hadn’t been uproar on her and other social media. 

I can get Uber carried away and act in a way that I wouldn’t normally act at work or socially, but I’d never resort to this kind of language / insult. His video says quite a lot about him, sadly 

Yeh, it's one thing spurting out something embarrasing like that in the moment but something else to edit a video and post it. Hopefully he has learnt his lesson from this, he's clearly only a young lad so should be given some slack IMO.

8 minutes ago, gl1 said:

It does, but so does the apology. Not excusing him, what he said is NEVER OK, but he is a young lad and his apology is sincere, no question. As wrong as he was to make the comment, it is rare these days to see someone unequivocally say “ I was wrong”. You see our “leaders” on TV lying all the time, never heard an apology from any of them and they are supposedly ‘better’ than this lad. If he has genuinely learnt from this, then no question, he will be a better man as a result. 

12 hours ago, bch said:

I bring my son, with Down’s syndrome, to most home games. When I heard this comment i was disgusted. That said he was a young chap who probably hasn’t come across anybody with Down’s syndrome or anybody who has an equal amount of passion for the game... if not more.. than most football fans.  Rather than just reporting I may extend the offer of a pint next time stoke are in town so that he can truly appreciate what a stupid and hurtful thing that is to say.  

And before then, he should watch "Marvellous" (recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it - you will feel better about life and people) about a Stoke fan with learning difficulties that the then manager Lou Macari took under his wing.  The irony that it was the club he supports hopefully wouldn't be lost him, although it can't be guaranteed!

12 hours ago, Dreamkiller said:

Wow. This placed has changed a fair bit since I was last here. Not sure where all the vitriol comes from, but it's obviously not the welcoming board it once was. Sorry for interrupting. Thought a Stokie view of things would be of some interest, but I'll leave you to it now. Best wishes for the future. Bye.

I think you'll find that we're a pretty balanced bunch on here, give or take the odd poster, and to be fair all forums have them. The fact your post is well liked is testament to that balance.

'Shithouse talentless footballers' as a post title is enough to rile the most like minded fanbase and rightly so, except in the case of the Gas for us, and Port Vale for you....

But in the league we're both currently in that is a pretty derogatory and demeaning post title, sadly for you (and Villa) there appears to be the mentality of 'we're so much better than this' but the reality is, you're not. You're currently at the level you deserve to be at.

And unfortunately, when that shows, the dislike of the so called bigger clubs like Stoke & Villa comes to the fore.

However, all things being told, don't stop posting on this forum as it's always good to get an opposition opinion, particularly when it's well thought out and balanced.

Enjoy the rest of your season (if you can!).

1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

@bch I hope you see this.

@East End Old Boy thanks for sharing. 

As I said he is obviously only a young lad and many would not have taken time to apologise regardless of negative feedback. The offer to meet him before next game has been made and I hope it’s taken... There is a whole primary school of children who have met Owen, my son, who know better and I’m sure anybody who has someone in their life with Down’s syndrome feels the same... but if you’ve not been lucky enough then it’s an education rather than negative feedback that will change behaviour.

@Dr Balls will look out for marvellous and @RedSkin will be in touch for a pint before next home game :) ... anyways.. long may the run continue COYR

4 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

'Shithouse talentless footballers' as a post title is enough to rile the most like minded fanbase

I'm actually quite happy to hear some fans call us shithouse, we take it season after season from others and never dish it out. If we are streetwise and see out matches I will take whatever they want to call it.

But talentless was a laughable remark for a Stoke side that was outplayed in all key positions. Their description of Famara was the sourest of sour grapes, he did a better number on their defence the entire game than their best players did on ours.

Shame if @Dreamkiller takes our response to all that disrespect personally, I always enjoy away fans on this board in particular PNE and Wednesday - although those two and others just reflect their own fanbases at away games: friendly and sensible.

Shame all these ex Prem teams - and let's be honest we had the same from Villa the past two seasons - didn't get the memo.

12 hours ago, bch said:

@East End Old Boy thanks for sharing. 

As I said he is obviously only a young lad and many would not have taken time to apologise regardless of negative feedback. The offer to meet him before next game has been made and I hope it’s taken... There is a whole primary school of children who have met Owen, my son, who know better and I’m sure anybody who has someone in their life with Down’s syndrome feels the same... but if you’ve not been lucky enough then it’s an education rather than negative feedback that will change behaviour.

@Dr Balls will look out for marvellous and @RedSkin will be in touch for a pint before next home game :) ... anyways.. long may the run continue COYR

Never a truer words written @bch.  Feel very blessed to have my lad, Sean, in my life.  Sean is obsessed with football chants of every team and I'm sure he probably knows as many Stoke songs as that lad.  

Good to see the lad apologize.  And he did seem very sincere tbh.  

13 hours ago, Southport Red said:

It does, but so does the apology. Not excusing him, what he said is NEVER OK, but he is a young lad and his apology is sincere, no question. As wrong as he was to make the comment, it is rare these days to see someone unequivocally say “ I was wrong”. You see our “leaders” on TV lying all the time, never heard an apology from any of them and they are supposedly ‘better’ than this lad. If he has genuinely learnt from this, then no question, he will be a better man as a result. 

Well put and well said. Thanks. 

8 hours ago, swampy said:

I would like to take that idiot to meet my partner who works with disabled kids including those who have Downs ... what a tosser.  

Did you see his apology?

I hear you - but the video-maker is not much more than a kid, and was clearly distressed.

I think he has clearly learn't his lesson - hopefully one which will stay for life.

On 01/01/2019 at 22:58, BobBobSuperBob said:

Just the resounding ‘You don’t know what you’re doing’

and

’Gary Rowett you’re football is shit’

Im not sure I’ve ever heard the first at AG and almost sure never the 2nd

And people claim Johnson has had stick

...... :laugh:

RE: ‘You don’t know what you’re doing’ = 4th February 2017.

On 01/01/2019 at 21:00, City Cat said:

What makes it more infuriating is that they were the team that nobbled Cheesley when we were last in in the top flight....?

Really?! Cheese has confirmed many times since that his injury was not Shilton’s fault - he just landed awkwardly and that caused his knee to collapse....this ‘Stoke crocked Cheesley’ thing is just a myth....gutted as we all were, it wasn’t their fault...

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Really?! Cheese has confirmed many times since that his injury was not Shilton’s fault - he just landed awkwardly and that caused his knee to collapse....this ‘Stoke crocked Cheesley’ thing is just a myth....gutted as we all were, it wasn’t their fault...

Fair point mate, I guess time has not healed the dismay I felt at the time.... Stoke a good conduit for anger though?

8 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Thus proving that Shrewsbury can do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke....well done the Shrews, from 2-0 down!

Unfortunately, Stoke don't seem able to do it in Stoke on a wet Tuesday night!

Archived