IGNORED

Match Report: New Year New City as away displays hit new heights

Olé

Although this wasn't Lee Johnson's first surprise away win this campaign, it was surely the best yet, up against a talented opponent loaded with ex-Prem stars, City hit a new gear, controlling dangerous opponents, dealing with everything thrown at them, then carving them up on the break.

Stoke were not short of attacking threat, and aided by a homer ref who did little to address Ashley Williams constant fouling of Diedhiou, or repeated diving from Afobe and co, City pulled off a stunning backs to the wall win against all the odds, bossing the game where it mattered in both boxes.

But that doesn't tell the full story as City, so pedestrian at home, hit Stoke time and again on the break, Diedhiou producing a City-career defining performance of guile and dominance, Paterson delivering easily his best game of the season, while at the other end City's defence won every battle.

We had the worst possible start, Webster and Pack badly clashing heads in opening exchanges, the former requiring 5 minutes in the dressing room for stitches, and from then on repeatedly sent from the field by the ref as the blood continued to flow, with City having to battle on with only 10 men.

Almost inevitably Stoke capitalised quickly by getting bodies into the box, City failing to clear the lines from a first ball, Famara sticking out a leg, which Stoke gladly fell over. Not only would it be the first and only time City failed to clear, but Maenappa tipped wide Afobe's well struck penalty.

Inside quarter of an hour Jack Hunt lifted a long clearance up to O'Dowda who was close to releasing Famara. It was an early warning of quick thinking counter attacks to come. In the meantime Maenappa had to get down quickly to deal with relatively tame shots from outside the box by Ince.  

City's travelling support were producing a constant noise at the Britannia - and after half an hour they roared their team on as City's midfield, visibly lifted, tore into their hosts with an energetic press, stealing the ball, letting Weimann put Diedhiou clean through, only to be flagged offside. 

On 36 Brownhill's long ball threatened to put Famara away again, but he bent a run too wide and the through pass was easily cleared. By now Webster was instructed to leave the field for a third time and with the ref often unwilling to let him rejoin quickly, City gave up and put on Wright.

And almost immediately City were in front. Hunt had looked sharp from the start and he would get away from his marker on the right with a confident touch, before curling an early cross into the box where Diedhiou  got free to crash a header past the keeper and prompt delerium in the away end.

City's tails were now up and Weimann and then O'Dowda deservedly won free kicks as City counter attacked before the break, and heading into injury time the confident Paterson dropped a shoulder and left two defenders for dead, only to tee up Pack, who dragged a low distant shot well wide.

Before the half was up Afobe produced a quite spectacular dive from 30 yards out, the ref, consistently one sided in awarding fouls, waved advantage enthusiastically as Stoke again rallied, to his delight. On the stroke of half time Maenappa made a smart reaction save from Allen's header.

From the restart for all Stoke's possession and purpose, little was being created, as energetic City stood up to - or were first to - everything, while on the counter attack the visitors twice sprung the hard-running Weimann inside his markers on the right, a reminder of their continued threat.

This remained the case even after Stoke added Crouch and Berahino - after 64 the imperious Diedhiou put Paterson away but with one defender to beat, his curled shot amazingly flew out for a throw in. Seconds later Fam found space, his shot deflected and Pato this time wasted the loose ball.

These were rare mistakes in an otherwise tricky, illusive Paterson performance. But at the other end Kelly, the most casual of our defence with clearances, started to show his class against dangerous cut ins from Ince, and he muscled Ince off the ball in the box amid desperate penalty shouts.

With under 20 minutes remaining Ashley Williams would finally be penalised by the ref for wrestling down Diedhiou for about the fifth time. Famara constantly got the better of his markers with turns and flicks, and minutes later he slipped a smart ball on for Paterson, who couldn't pick a cross.

10 left and Pato did brilliantly to draw their midfield and release Weimann in yards of space. As he ran in on the edge of the box he was clattered by a ferocious - but fair - challenge. The loose ball was lifted into the box where Butland miscued under pressure from Fam and O'Dowda turned in.

1000 vociferous City away fans were now roaring their approval louder than ever for a convincing display of dominance, desire and speed of reactions in either box. And it could have been three moments later as Diedhiou chased onto a high ball over the top, but his first time volley was wild.

At the other end Berahino crashed a shot onto the bar but it was a rare sighter, as a now resolute City raced to quickly block or clear at the first sign of threat, and in Kelly the visitors had a full back who ended the match with a series of brilliant tidy-ups to muscle Ince off the ball and clear too.

In injury time Stoke finally worked the best move of the game to slice through the City defence with quick passes as their players pushed forward, but McClean's shot was tipped round the post by a diving low save from the flawless Maenappa, ensuring the visitors saw out the complete away win.

Make no mistake, this wasn't just a happy new year for City, who have impressed on their travels already this season. This was by far the most organised, energetic and focused display under LJ this campaign - against a formidable side and a generous ref - and it sets a much higher standard.

Tireless City were first to everything, and at the back tidied up quickly before there was room to contrive clear chances: a big change on much of this season. Alongside this, going forward Diedhiou was virtually unplayable as the target, with Paterson, Weimann and O'Dowda as relentless foils.

Much has been made about the quality of City's home performances and I'd include myself in that criticism. Displays like today are chalk and cheese with the fare at AG. It isn't just space offered to break into but the clear initiative to be first at both ends of the pitch and energy needed to do so.

You can cut it which ever way you like but the level of consistently positive support in games like this away from home, and the lack of expectations seems to me to make a bloody big difference. Whatever it is, if LJ could channel this sort of performance into every week, he'd have few dissenters.

Maenappa 9 Flawless. You just expect him to deal with stuff thrown at him. Am sure his defenders are reaching Basso esque levels of confidence in him

Hunt 8 Even better than Saturday and he was MoM then. Losing his place to Pisano clearly created competition. He was up and down all game, touches at both ends were smart and a brilliant assist

Kelly 7 Probably a bit too casual in places and would have been on a 6 but a brilliant last 20 where he finally completely owned Ince (their biggest threat) with a show or strength and focus, edges him up to a 7

Webster 5 Not his fault but was obviously unable to contribute much despite trying gamefully to play on

Kallas 8 Rock solid and a clearance every time it was needed. He loves games like this where he has to take responsibility

Pack 6 Worked tirelessly at the back of midfield, a defensive asset more than anything, a few good balls forward but also had his now customary misplaced easy pass when the through ball was on

Brownhill 6 Also more of a defensive role, probably didn't get into the game as much as he'd like going forward but mainly as we had four others in attacking roles

Weimann 7 Didn't always come off for him but a willing runner down the channels and reacted quickly when we broke 

O'Dowda 7 Like most of our players he got little from the ref at time but was in all the right places and helped pin them back 

Paterson 7 He almost deserves an 8 as this was easily his best performance of the season, he caused them all sorts of problems when he got on the ball, the only issue was his decision making or final ball/shot which wasn't always the best

Diedhiou 9 Brilliant, apart from being held by Ashley Williams, he held up, turned and beat opponents 99% of the time, bringing his 3 attacking midfielders into play. Didn't have a lot of chances but always making runs and the obvious threat 

Wright 8 Didn't look like he had ever been away, has an air of calm and composure when defending that no one else in our squad brings

Taylor 5 Won one free kick, not really on long enough to be effective 

Adelakun 5 Not on long enough

Definitely chalk and cheese re Ashton Gate performances recently. I’m so glad I went, as rightly or wrongly it’s renewed my faith and optimism while making it far less likely that I’ll stay away from home games....which I was seriously  thinking of doing after the Brentford & Rotherham dross. 

8 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Oh blimey I thought we were pretty poor today against a woeful Stoke side. Will have to find me purple and lime tinted glasses again

I don’t think any tinted glasses are needed. Did you expect us to go to Stoke and dominate possesion and pepper their goal? 

I certainly didn’t. We went there to frustrate them and their fans and hit them on the counter. We did that. They had two good chance which is to be expected with their quality and that was it. On the counter we moved with precision and purpose. Lack of quality on the final pass at times for sure but not many championship sides have the quality to score 3-4 times away from home. 

It was a perfect away performance against a fancied side. Away from home all for that type of performance. At home then I’d be agreeing 

As you’ve said, Hunt being dropped for Pisano seems to have made him find another level, think he’s been very good the last few games. 

Glad to hear Wright had a good game, I think he’s a good defender & one of the leaders in the squad, it will be a huge positive having hin back. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t think any tinted glasses are needed. Did you expect us to go to Stoke and dominate possesion and pepper their goal? 

I certainly didn’t. We went there to frustrate them and their fans and hit them on the counter. We did that. They had two good chance which is to be expected with their quality and that was it. On the counter we moved with precision and purpose. Lack of quality on the final pass at times for sure but not many championship sides have the quality to score 3-4 times away from home. 

It was a perfect away performance against a fancied side. Away from home all for that type of performance. At home then I’d be agreeing 

Fair points other than Stoke are not quality, in fact they are  very poor indeed.

1 minute ago, cheshire_red said:

Fair points other than Stoke are not quality, in fact they are  very poor indeed.

True but you have to respect what they could do. It wasn’t pretty and we’d all like a bit more entertainment but away from home I’ll take ugly all day and this was far from our ugliest away performance

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

True but you have to respect what they could do. It wasn’t pretty and we’d all like a bit more entertainment but away from home I’ll take ugly all day and this was far from our ugliest away performance

Quite, and it is down to the home team to make the running as we well know at AG.

It was just about a perfect away game and I didn't think we looked uncomfortable at all (I only saw the second half).

Stoke were one dimensional and ran out of ideas very quickly with a team of ageing journeymen. Not impressed in any way with them - they'll be back to their 11k gates soon just like pre 2008.

Gotta say Rob I love the optimism but this is a far more up-beat review than I would have given! We played a very poor team who could’ve played until midnight without scoring, just about stifled them and scored from two of (I think) our only shots on target.

We weren’t terrible but I’ve seen us play much better this season on the road. The second half at QPR for instance.

In terms of simply scoring your chances and stopping the opposition, it was perfect. But the overall performance looked very shaky at times, we still look either nervous or stifled, I can’t work out which.

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

Quality individuals...as a side not much? Decent chunk of that down to Rowett IMO.

Their squad off the top of my head to name a few...Butland, Shawcross, Martins Indi, Pieters, Allen, Woods, Clucas, Ince, Afobe, Berahino and Bojan.

There are others- but these players have played at least one of the following and in various cases more. Regular PL football, International for decent teams, reasonable European Leagues, European competition ie Europa League and even CL football. Even Woods the least decorated in terms of highest level has been an excellent performer in the Championship before his move- it was a good win today, make no mistake. I'd have been happy with a point at kickoff.

Yes. We were a unit and for once I was not nervous when I watched the game. Mäenpääs penalty save was very important. Famara, wow is all I can say. Hunt now got two assists in two games. Kelly to nonchalant in the start, Stoke knew it, but then better. Wrigh came on and played well as cb. As I said before, this team is getting better and better.

Great match report. My only issue is with any player being scored anything below a 7

I was very worried for the first 10-15 minutes. Stoke had way more tempo and purpose about them. For me the penalty save was a real game changer. You could see some of their heads dropping. There wasn't a single player that didn't step up and the collective defensive effort was brilliant. Watching Lloyd mugging Tom Ince made my day

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree with most of this post. But for me Pato has been playing like this since the Ipswich game. His work rate has increased. He seems much fitter than he did earlier in the season.

He showed some amazing skill to recover a ball on their dead ball line , surrounded by Stoke and turned on a sixpence to hoist a cross into the box which , sadly , Famara just missed.

The lad has unbelievable talent but needs to show it more consistently and improve his decision making .

I can see why LJ.  sticks with him and hope that Pato does more to repay this confidence.

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

His crossfield ball to Jack for the first goal was sublime. It took out half their defence.

Famara was unmarked in the box (And took full advantage Tbf with a towering header) but the ball from Pato to switch play and particularly Hunts excellent quick control , and swivel , to cross , when they weren’t expecting a cross , or ‘set’, created the situation and a primary reason Famara was unmarked IMHO

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Famara was unmarked in the box (And took full advantage Tbf with a towering header) but the ball from Pato to switch play and particularly Hunts excellent quick control , and swivel , to cross , when they weren’t expecting a cross , or ‘set’, created the situation and a primary reason Famara was unmarked IMHO

It was. They were obviously expecting Pato to drive into the box and three of them were converging on him (including one who should have stuck with Fam). The pass did them completely and opened up so much space. COD making his run helped massively too.

All in all, a great team goal IMO.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I did a bit of freeze framing for the goal (although the BC OS shows extended highlights and a good build up starting with LK on the left touchline....worth a watch).  You can’t see everything but you get a sense of the movement all round.

Williams is in touch with Diedhiou when Pato gets the ball.

As Pato spreads it wide, Woods retreats towards the edge of the box, Weimann drags Shawcross towards the left back space unselfishly (I thought he might’ve closed Hunt’s space, and Diedhiou heads for the box).

The important bit of Weimann’s run, is that Williams now wants to mark the space left by Shawcross, probably thinking Woods will pick-up Diedhiou.

Lovely turn by Hunt, good cross, not attempted to be whipped with too much pace, and Diedhiou can check the flight and attack the ball....unchallenged....Woods standing watching.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I did a bit of freeze framing for the goal (although the BC OS shows extended highlights and a good build up starting with LK on the left touchline....worth a watch).  You can’t see everything but you get a sense of the movement all round.

Williams is in touch with Diedhiou when Pato gets the ball.

As Pato spreads it wide, Woods retreats towards the edge of the box, Weimann drags Shawcross towards the left back space unselfishly (I thought he might’ve closed Hunt’s space, and Diedhiou heads for the box).

The important bit of Weimann’s run, is that Williams now wants to mark the space left by Shawcross, probably thinking Woods will pick-up Diedhiou.

Lovely turn by Hunt, good cross, not attempted to be whipped with too much pace, and Diedhiou can check the flight and attack the ball....unchallenged....Woods standing watching.

Great bit of analysis !

Interesting 

Very good goal in lots of respects and the sort of goal I could watch time over looking at bits n pieces 

Pato drives me insane but in flashes you can see why Lee keeps picking him - he is  one who can produce something different  and we are not over blessed

As RRH said , that switch to Hunt was the springboard and everything after , spot on

Lovely goal 

21 hours ago, Kevin Brady said:

Watching Lloyd mugging Tom Ince made my day

Watching anyone mug that cocky knob makes my day. Also his current failure to score against us makes my day. As does my little one's current ability to chew Darth Vader's cloak (not the real one).

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think both of these points are important. Fam has wonderful talent to be able to head balls that are seemingly behind him, he's demonstrated that right from his first goal, on debut, vs Barnsley, but it's easier for any footballer to head the ball when attacking it, with momentum of your body. Fam attacks this ball coming in having been behind the defensive line. Many times we see him try to head the ball in from a standing position in the box. What impressed me more, in the build-up, was that when Fam recived Packo's splendid attacking pass (straight into the heart of the defence where many times the ball is shovelled wide), Fam controls it and lays it off accurately. I'm one of his biggest fans but his control is woeful more often than not. This was crisp and kept Stoke running around chasing us.

Packo's pass deserves praise. He's playing these disguised passes, these arrowing passes in to the forwards more and more, with Brownhill following suit, and this is something we see opposition midfielders do often and we bemoan our lack of creativity. Packo has also been receiving a bit of flak for looking under par recently. It was a 'risky' pass as it could've been intercepted and Stoke would've been away... Credit to Packo for continuing to attempt these and his part in this goal isn't underestimated by me. Nor is Fam's authentic holding-up forward play. A very well-worked goal the more you watch it.

Archived