IGNORED

Billy Sharp goals record,compared to John Atyeo

Never to the dark side

35 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

John Atyeo play 600 games and scored 314 goals

Which works out at one in every two games

billy sharp 540 in 232 games

That makes  John Atyeo  a better goal scorer than Billy sharp.

Just my thoughts on the modern game 

he's scored 540 goals in 232 games...hell fire

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Good, that’s made me happy.

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

I thought Atyeo  scored 2 in his last game against Ipswich to bring him up to 350?

8 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

The trouble is that, from my recollection, Sharpe scored most of those goals against us! ?

and didn't he take great delight in so doing?! 

9 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

And Big John scored all (?) of them for one Club.

Was pretty sure Big John didn't score for Portsmouth and that was the case when I checked. So all those goals were for City as opposed to Sharp who has played for 8 Clubs. In my view this shows Atyeo's immense committment to being the best footballer he could be and to continue scoring goals and Bristol City were the lucky recipients.

29 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Was pretty sure Big John didn't score for Portsmouth and that was the case when I checked. So all those goals were for City as opposed to Sharp who has played for 8 Clubs. In my view this shows Atyeo's immense committment to being the best footballer he could be and to continue scoring goals and Bristol City were the lucky recipients.

Big John didn't want to go pro so could never be the best footballer he could be. It was more a hobby (albeit very good at his hobby) where his real interest was teaching.

I think the footballing world would have been his oyster if he had the real passion to go pro.

We will never know. But what a record.

10 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Always difficult to compare eras, and as a true City supporter and a fellow Moonraker I would never want to diminish the achievements of Big John, but in the past 20 years Billy Sharp is as good as it gets in the EFL. I know some City fans love to hate him, but I’d wished he’d played for us. Like Atyeo, Sharp seems to be a player who fully understands his game and has honed his skills to make the best of what he has. 

No comparison whatsoever between the two.

Atyeo a one club man who scored 351 goals in 650 games for City. Add to that, the six internationals and representative games. Never booked, never sent off, never did anything on a football pitch to bring criticism on him or his club.

Admired, revered by those he played with, and the fans. Why was his Testimonial game against Leeds United? Because Don Review had played with him in the England team and had great respect for John.

Now, opening poster, tell me where Billy Sharp comes anywhere near such a great player.

As a postscript, try posting the same argument on the Leeds Forum that Sharp is a greater star than John Charles and see how much bile you get from the Leeds fans.

40 minutes ago, TRL said:

Big John didn't want to go pro so could never be the best footballer he could be. It was more a hobby (albeit very good at his hobby) where his real interest was teaching.

I think the footballing world would have been his oyster if he had the real passion to go pro.

Big John was paid very well to remain at City though. He had a lot of interest from the top clubs. 

14 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Big John was paid very well to remain at City though. He had a lot of interest from the top clubs. 

He was for the last 5 years of his career before that there was a wage cap. I don't know if there were wage caps in Italy... But he could have gone there and earned more if he wanted to. I think he was more interested in living close to the school he teached in.

His choice to stay semi pro effectively killed his England career. I am sure I read somewhere that he did sign a pro contract for something like 2 years but asked for it to be reverted due to his teaching.

1 hour ago, Red_Wizard said:

The season after he retired Harry D did everything to get him back playing, but to his credit Atyeo stuck to his decision.

By the way at beginning of his career he wasn't a teacher but a surveyor

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

never did anything on a football pitch to bring criticism on him or his club.

Didn’t think that was strictly true I knew an old boy who hated him for as he told it “Atyeo deliberately played shit to get a manager he didn’t get on with sacked, and it eventually got us relegated!” 

Now I don’t know to much about it but he never liked him because of it!

2 hours ago, TRL said:

I agree that he was the ultimate pure amateur in the true meaning of the term. A true sportsman who couldn't bring himself to believe that a grown man could justify being paid to play a sport, a game.

But that didn't stop him trying to be the best like another great amateur Roger Bannister.

A lot of this amateur/professional issue and Atyeo's probable thinking on the subject is explored in the brilliant biography by Tom Hopegood and John Hudson " Atyeo - the Hero Next Door"

Atyeo's reluctance to fully embrace the professional game certainly cost him his international place - this is despite evidence in film of his appearances for England that he was ahead of his time, he moved and positioned himself like a modern footballer. Theories are out there about famous players in the England team at the time stitching him up to the FA.

Those of us who saw him play were very, very fortunate.

8 hours ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Didn’t think that was strictly true I knew an old boy who hated him for as he told it “Atyeo deliberately played shit to get a manager he didn’t get on with sacked, and it eventually got us relegated!” 

Now I don’t know to much about it but he never liked him because of it!

You are referring to the Peter Doherty managemnt.

When City won the Third South title in 1955, Harry Dolman promised all the players in that squad that they would be paid winter wages in the summer for the remainder of their City career. In those times with a cap on wages, all clubs paid players less in the summer and players only had a one year contract with the club. 

When Peter Doherty arrived in 1958 I guess there were about seven left from the promotion team. Atyeo, Cook, Thresher, Burden, Eisentrager, Peacock, Anderson are I think the players involved. Matbe one or two more.

Doherty wanted to scrap the summer bonus and Atyeo went to Dolman on behalf of those players to protest. Remember wages were about £17/£18 per week so a £2/£3 drop in May to July was significant.

Dolman overruled his new manager and from that time on, Doherty was living on borrowed time. Players he signed were probably resentful of the apparent preferential wages of the few. It led to a totally split dressing room and relegation in 1959-60.

Were the players right to protest about a change in their conditions? Maybe yes, maybe no but one must remember that a one year contract meant that each player could be out of a job at the end of a season. Clubs operated "Retain and Transfer" system. That meant that even if they did not offer a new contract, they could retain the players Football League Registration and the player could not play anywhere else.

Players were well paid if compared with industrial average earnings but it was a very precarious career. Some injuries that are now easily treared, meant the end of their career. Players were lirrle better than paid serfs.

Now the wheel has turned full circle with almost total control by the players over clubs. Freedom to walk away at the end of a contract.

On 03/01/2019 at 09:05, cidered abroad said:

When City won the Third South title in 1955, Harry Dolman promised all the players in that squad that they would be paid winter wages in the summer for the remainder of their City career. In those times with a cap on wages, all clubs paid players less in the summer and players only had a one year contract with the club. 

When Peter Doherty arrived in 1958 I guess there were about seven left from the promotion team. Atyeo, Cook, Thresher, Burden, Eisentrager, Peacock, Anderson are I think the players involved. Matbe one or two more.

Doherty wanted to scrap the summer bonus and Atyeo went to Dolman on behalf of those players to protest. Remember wages were about £17/£18 per week so a £2/£3 drop in May to July was significant.

Dolman overruled his new manager and from that time on, Doherty was living on borrowed time. Players he signed were probably resentful of the apparent preferential wages of the few. It led to a totally split dressing room and relegation in 1959-60.

Were the players right to protest about a change in their conditions? Maybe yes, maybe no but one must remember that a one year contract meant that each player could be out of a job at the end of a season. Clubs operated "Retain and Transfer" system. That meant that even if they did not offer a new contract, they could retain the players Football League Registration and the player could not play anywhere else.

Players were well paid if compared with industrial average earnings but it was a very precarious career. Some injuries that are now easily treared, meant the end of their career. Players were lirrle better than paid serfs.

Now the wheel has turned full circle with almost total control by the players over clubs. Freedom to walk away at the end of a contract.

Well said Cidered, I doubt John Atyeo would ever play badly for any manager. He was simply a model club player and gave his best wheneve I saw him.  I know Tommy Burden when signed, had a job and accommodation ready for him at Clarks Shoe factory at Street, when not playing for City to bolster their pay..

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:05, cidered abroad said:

Which is how it should be, nobody should be forced to stay on in any job once their contract is up.

On 03/01/2019 at 09:05, cidered abroad said:

Very interesting post

6 hours ago, KernowRed said:

Well said Cidered, I doubt John Atyeo would ever play badly for any manager. He was simply a model club player and gave his best wheneve I saw him.  I know Tommy Burden when signed, had a job and accommodation ready for him at Clarks Shoe factory at Street, when not playing for City to bolster their pay..

I understood at the time he signed that he was already employed by Clark's. But I could be wrong. Genuine info was sparse back then.

• Admin
On 02/01/2019 at 17:19, BS4 on Tour... said:

I thought Atyeo scored 351 goals in 645 games...

Let's be honest nobody seems to know exactly, on the day of his statue unveiling the stats on the big screen were different to what is on his statue and what was read out during the unveiling ceremony 

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Let's be honest nobody seems to know exactly, on the day of his statue unveiling the stats on the big screen were different to what is on his statue and what was read out during the unveiling ceremony 

Was at his last game at home to Ipswich, can still remember that he had to score to reach 350.

I always thought there was an 18.000 crowd that day but read yesterday it was only 13,000 which seems a small attendance for his last game.

We won 4/1 and it was one of only two games I ever saw  Atyeo play!!

17 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Was at his last game at home to Ipswich, can still remember that he had to score to reach 350.

I always thought there was an 18.000 crowd that day but read yesterday it was only 13,000 which seems a small attendance for his last game.

We won 4/1 and it was one of only two games I ever saw  Atyeo play!!

13893 according to David Woods book.

Crowd's fluctuated considerably then and as the game was a "dead one" hence the low gate.

I was very fortunate to see his first and last games and a helluva lot in between. We may have better players in the future but will they have such an influence as John. I believe that most City fans want to see what he provided. Talent, skill, effort and honesty on and off the pitch. It is why we don't mind losing to a team that plays the game properly and detest the cheats and clogger's.

Long may that ethos continue at Bristol City.

Archived