IGNORED

2019/20's Defensive Conundrum

marcofisher

For the first time in a very long time, we can finally look at our defence and see an actual championship level defence. A rather stark contrast to our fantastic back line of 5 years ago which consisted of the full back extraordinaire Ricky Foster, the impassable Fontaine and Nyatanga, and the city legend Ryan Mcgivern who is still seeing Zaha traumatise him in his nightmares. 

The problem now seems to be that we have stockpiled in players that can play RB and CB, namely Pisano, Wright and then Vyner and Moore whom one would assume will be around the first team next year after Championship and League 1 loans respectively. 

So surely out of Pisano, Baker, Wright, Vyner and Moore we are going to have to let one or two of these players go. 

As far as I am aware, Pisano and Wright are out of contract in the summer with Wright having a 1 year option. Would you let these two go seeing as Pisano has been in good form recently and Wright has always looked a solid player at CB rather than RB?

Or would you ship out Moore and Vyner perhaps to raise funds for other parts of the squad?

Personally I wouldn't mind us taking a hit on Baker to free up wages, despite being a very good centre half on his day, thanks to injuries these days are too few and far between. It is fairly certain we will need a top drawer left back next year to replace Kelly and DaSilva. 

I'd keep Pisano and Wright.

Kelly and Baker should both be off by the summer.

Is Kalas realistic for us? I hope so. Think we could see Vyner, Wright, Webster, Kalas as our main 4 CBs.

Hunt and Pisano as our RBs I'm more than fine with.

Left back is the worrying spot. Dasilva won't sign here you'd think. I rate Pring but think we'd need to sign a second one.

Im sure LJ and MA are fully aware  of the defensive issues for next season. 

For all we know talks could be underway between City and Chelsea regarding both Dasilva and Kalas and no doubt at all the feelers are out looking for possible defensive replacements as well. Kalas in particular is a class act.

I assume Vyner will be back in the fold at City having  a seasons  experience in the Championship at Rotherham so may well feature. Webster, Baker and Wright all decent CBs with Pisano also capable in the position as well.

LB will be the issue when Kelly goes or if Dasilva goes back to Chelsea. That’ll be the position that will concern LJ the most and decent ones aren’t that easy to find.

Think we'll let Pisano go, Vyner will come into the squad as competition for Hunt and cover at CB. Think Taylor Moore we'll try and find a championship loan for like Vyner this season. Bailey Wright will be retained, new contract or using the option, people say we have a lack of leaders and get the impression he's one on and off the pitch even if he's not in the XI. 

If Lloyd does leave I wouldn't be surprised if we tried getting Jay on loan again, convincing Chelsea by the fact he wouldn't have Lloyd to compete with. Baker would depend if we get any good offers or if he's happy just to stick around for rotation.

It's a bit of a long shot but at Fulham and Middlesbrough Kalas had 2 season loans or 18 month loans.

He was younger then, but I wonder if Chelsea may consider similar with us? One more years loan here, then he gets sold on at approaching a prime age for a CB- mid to late 20's having (hopefully) shone here and maybe been part of if things go well, a playoff chasing side. A club in Europe,  a lower midtable PL side or a Championship side flush with parachute payments may then be highly interested- if they aren't already- and willing to pay a big fee. I'd be more than happy to keep him for another year with the right finances etc, but how realistic it is...?

Sell Pisano. Kelly will go. Kalas will return and we cannot afford his wages.

RB Hunt and Vyner

LB Dasilva (loan or buy) Pring

CB Baker, Webster, Wright, Moore

Vyner and Moore can also cover at CB and RB respectively

Saving circa £35k per week on the three leaving so invest that in a top striker and midfielder 

26 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Is Kalas realistic for us? I hope so. Think we could see Vyner, Wright, Webster, Kalas as our main 4 CBs.

Left back is the worrying spot. Dasilva won't sign here you'd think. I rate Pring but think we'd need to sign a second one.

Kalas on £22k per week apparently. Think that puts him slightly above our reach but I guess we could stretch if we wanted too. 

Would like to see Vyner and Moore being given a chance though. Rather spend £20k + on a midfielder or striker 

40 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Find it hard to disagree with that. 

Kalas is the real deal and I think we'd all love to have him here permanently, that's if he's interested in staying of course.

Unfortunately quality players like him cost, so he's not going to be cheap, we all know that, but if SL want's to reach the promised land then these are the sort of players we need to sign to get there. Does SL have that ambition? Some people say yes, some say no, and of course FFP comes into it as well.

No way Kalas is signing permanently, I don't think Dasilva will either unless we lose Kelly and even then I wonder if we can afford Dasilva wages to make it permanent. 

I think come the end of this season we'll be looking to add a CB and maybe even two LB's depending on Dasilva wages and Kelly's future. 

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

No way Kalas is signing permanently, I don't think Dasilva will either unless we lose Kelly and even then I wonder if we can afford Dasilva wages to make it permanent. 

I think come the end of this season we'll be looking to add a CB and maybe even two LB's depending on Dasilva wages and Kelly's future. 

Think that is most likely, though a 2nd year of loan for Kalas would be very nice...if unlikely.

Definitely agree on the 2nd bit- what with all the out of contract players, it maybe a big summer ahead.

Pisano release at end of season. Baker try to sell. Kalas will go back. Dasilva will return too. Extend Bailey Wright if he wants to stay. Lloyd Kelly will be sold. Get Taylor Moore another loan to L1 favourites or low champ(preferred but can’t be easy finding a club lower than us that will play an untried CB from a rival club). 

RB Vyner Hunt

CB Webster Wright Vyner

LB Pring

Need another CB and LB minimum but will have Kelly and Baker money and the wages saved would be in the 70-80k range(25k kalas, 12k pisano, 20k baker, 10k dasilva, Moore 5k Kelly 7-8k roughly). Very fifa of me but that would be ideal scenario for me. 

31 minutes ago, nickolas said:

We might sign all of these mind you, once we get promoted this season.......! ?

I honestly think if we became a Prem team then Chelsea would look to up the price a lot or loan out to another team, I mean why sell a quality player to a team in the same league if you don't have to.
Note: I know you're joking, just trying to reaffirm that the hope of signing Kalas permanently may be a little too optimistic by any standards.

We've no chance of signing Kalas permanently, maybe a loan. Same with Da silva but we'd face competition from other sides especially from the premiership for Kalas. 

I'd sell Baker as he's probably on a lot of money for someone who is back up and Wright is just as good without the risk of him seeing red. 

Pring will probably be in or around the first team if he's as good as people say 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I would be sending my best scout to watch Rotherham every week, and check out Ajayi and Vaulks.  Ajayi looks a fine ball-playing but tough, ball-winning CB.

Vaulks, who I expected to be a Limited holding DM, is in fact a much better footballer from 3 or 4 viewings this season.

We could do with them getting relegated.  Cue Agent Zak!!

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would be sending my best scout to watch Rotherham every week, and check out Ajayi and Vaulks.  Ajayi looks a fine ball-playing but tough, ball-winning CB.

Vaulks, who I expected to be a Limited holding DM, is in fact a much better footballer from 3 or 4 viewings this season.

So would I , in both cases

And exactly the sort / size of Club that we should be targeting 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ajayi is 25, big, strong but I've been wary of him for a while because living in Cardiff I remember him going to them and then being forever loaned out. That said I've not seen him enough to judge him but I'm always wary of Center Backs coming from teams near the bottom of the league :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Ajayi is 25, big, strong but I've been wary of him for a while because living in Cardiff I remember him going to them and then being forever loaned out. That said I've not seen him enough to judge him but I'm always wary of Center Backs coming from teams near the bottom of the league :laugh:

I was unaware Cardiff got him from Arsenal as a youngster.  Perfect age, 25.  A ‘unit’ too.  I don’t think Ajayi at CB is the root of their relegation battle.  Smallest budget in the division I suspect.  One for the summer I reckon.

Vaulks I would make an offer for now.  I really liked Norwood who went to Sheffield United.  Vaulks no quite as good a passer, but has pretty much everything else and is more combative....perfect for us.

12 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Find it hard to believe that Pring will be in and around the first team next year considering his very limited involvement with Cheltenham.

Would be hard to feature for Cheltenham when he's on loan at Newport, can't hold that against him ;)

14 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Find it hard to believe that Pring will be in and around the first team next year considering his very limited involvement with Cheltenham.

Newport gave a very useful left back in Dan Butler....got a very good left peg.

The rumours are that Pring isn’t far away.

Wonder if he’ll go on loan somewhere else for the second half of the season???  

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Newport gave a very useful left back in Dan Butler....got a very good left peg.

The rumours are that Pring isn’t far away.

Wonder if he’ll go on loan somewhere else for the second half of the season???  

I think if Kelly goes he may stick around and be our back up.

5 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Find it hard to believe that Pring will be in and around the first team next year considering his very limited involvement with Newport.

Something you need to mention? Given your comment before the edit...

Archived