IGNORED

Forest Away - NO POTD (Merged)

Jackos_56

6 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

A lot more!

Like many on here, I was there. What a night that was. Paul Mardon goal nearly won it for us. Great atmosphere. Great red light district in Nottingham. Ah ****, I better shut up! 

Wot a night that was when Mardon scored some bird almost took me eye out with an umbrella our end went bonkers in the rain...... proper away days... 

13 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

This’ll be the “club legend” who buggered off to Coventry when we weren’t good enough for him then. 

Laughable....Carey is a Bristol City legend...to suggest someone who made 646 appearances for us didn’t care about the club is just beyond belief....presumably you also despise Tom Ritchie who ‘buggered off’ to Sunderland before coming back to us? And you must also have zero respect for Chris Garland who ‘buggered off’ to Chelsea and Leicester before coming back to us? Or how about Scott Murray? You must despise him for ‘buggering off’ to Reading before coming back to us...you’ve had a ‘Weston Super’ there Cyder....

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Gerry Gow, Chris Garland, Gerry Sweeney, Geoff Merrick.Trevor Tainton, Tom Ritchie.... there's a few to be going on with.

So you don’t think Louis Carey is a club legend then?

20 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Laughable....Carey is a Bristol City legend...to suggest someone who made 646 appearances for us didn’t care about the club is just beyond belief....presumably you also despise Tom Ritchie who ‘buggered off’ to Sunderland before coming back to us? And you must also have zero respect for Chris Garland who ‘buggered off’ to Chelsea and Leicester before coming back to us? Or how about Scott Murray? You must despise him for ‘buggering off’ to Reading before coming back to us...you’ve had a ‘Weston Super’ there Cyder....

Depends on how the word ‘legend’ is defined. 

In my time watching City  50+ years only one player deserved that accolades. The late great Gerry Gow.

Atyeo retired the year I first went to AG in 1967 but he too deserved the accolade of legend through his England caps and goal scoring record.

Carey owns the appearance record but as a player way short of legend status imv.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Depends on how the word ‘legend’ is defined. 

In my time watching City  50+ years only one player deserved that accolades. The late great Gerry Gow.

Atyeo retired the year I first went to AG in 1967 but he too deserved the accolade of legend through his England caps and goal scoring record.

Carey owns the appearance record but as a player way short of legend status imv.

Fair play Rob - Gerry Gow is my fave City player of all time so I can’t disagree with his legendary status....interesting though that you’ve recognised Atyeo as a ‘legend’ partly due to his England appearances (6 international caps) but you have dismissed Louis Carey as a legend despite his club record appearances....

38 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yet you think someone who played more games for us than Atyeo doesn’t fit the bill?!

A few 'sub' appearances, supported by Steve Cotterill, certainly helped his appearances total - a sullied record in my opinion, detracting from what was a genuine record from a true legend, John Atyeo.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A few 'sub' appearances, supported by Steve Cotterill, certainly helped his appearances total - a sullied record in my opinion, detracting from what was a genuine record from a true legend, John Atyeo.

Louis Carey has a ‘sullied record’ ?! I really don’t get the opposition to a Bristolian, who played well over 600 games for Bristol City, being recognised as some sort of club legend....

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair play Rob - Gerry Gow is my fave City player of all time so I can’t disagree with his legendary status....interesting though that you’ve recognised Atyeo as a ‘legend’ partly due to his England appearances (6 international caps) but you have dismissed Louis Carey as a legend despite his club record appearances....

As I posted just now, it’s how you define ‘legend’ and to me it’s about their status as a player. 

The fact that LC played 600+ games for City doesn’t qualify him as a legend in my eyes. He was a reliable and steady defender but that’s about all.

15 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

In my eyes Carey deserves legend status but it does irk me that he was allowed to break the great mans record with some cheap substitute appearances then retire when one ahead

14 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

This’ll be the “club legend” who buggered off to Coventry when we weren’t good enough for him then. 

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

I was reluctant to mention that......but you’re spot on of course.

I was enjoying our ‘normal’ conversation @Robbored then I realised you’d posted that! So, you think players who leave us and come back should be dismissed? So, for example, Tom Ritchie, Chris Garland, Scott Murray to name just three? 

41 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The only way SC supported it, it seemed to me, was by following advice from above.

The club clearly wanted the 'good publicity' of Carey breaking the appearance record.

I agree it is a sullied record because it was contrived by sub. appearances - which he wouldn't have made otherwise - in order for him to limp past Atyeo's total.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

When did I say I despised or had zero respect for any of the ex players that you have mentioned?

20 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was enjoying our ‘normal’ conversation @Robbored then I realised you’d posted that! So, you think players who leave us and come back should be dismissed? So, for example, Tom Ritchie, Chris Garland, Scott Murray to name just three? 

None of the three you mentioned would qualify as a legend imv BS4.

12 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

When did I say I despised or had zero respect for any of the ex players that you have mentioned?

You ridiculed Louis Carey being mentioned as a legend because, in your words, he ‘buggered off as we weren’t good enough’ - so that clearly shows that you had zero respect for him.....so I just assumed you had the same opinion on other prominent City players who are incredibly well thought of and vital parts of our history...yet they left us and came back...so I mentioned Tom Ritchie, Chris Garland and Scott Murray as examples....so, you respect those three but don’t respect Louis Carey?

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It's all subjective, but in my book, no. A mostly steady div.1 and Championship player, nothing more.

Chris Garland didn't bugger off to Chelsea - a big offer came in that the club accepted. He also came back to play for City in Div.1, and again, after having his contract terminated as one of the Ashton 8, returned for very little wages, to represent the club he loved in Div.4. He was a born and bred City fan - unlike self confessed Liverpool fan Carey. Chris Garland played in all 4 divisions for City. Absolute legend.

Likewise Tom Ritchie was sold by the club when the disastrous financial situation was becoming clear. Again he came back to play for us in the lower leagues for little financial reward because he loved the club. Tom Ritchie played in all 4 divisions for City. Absolute legend.

No need to be incredulous if others don't share your very high opinion of Carey, or don't believe he was worthy of taking Atyeo's record, or indeed that he doesn't hold a candle to the likes of the 2 above btw. You might be surprised how widespread that feeling is.

Murray, Carey and Tinnion are City legends for me since watching in mid 90’s onwards. Sure not unbelievable players but considering weve been between 2nd and 3rd division all my time of watching - these were stand out comitted players. So yeah in context of Bristol City and recent history I would say they are legends for many. 

10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's all subjective, but in my book, no. A mostly steady div.1 and Championship player, nothing more.

Chris Garland didn't bugger off to Chelsea - a big offer came in that the club accepted. He also came back to play for City in Div.1, and again, after having his contract terminated as one of the Ashton 8, returned for very little wages, to represent the club he loved in Div.4. He was a born and bred City fan - unlike self confessed Liverpool fan Carey. Chris Garland played in all 4 divisions for City. Absolute legend.

Likewise Tom Ritchie was sold by the club when the disastrous financial situation was becoming clear. Again he came back to play for us in the lower leagues for little financial reward because he loved the club. Tom Ritchie played in all 4 divisions for City. Absolute legend.

No need to be incredulous if others don't share your very high opinion of Carey, or don't believe he was worthy of taking Atyeo's record, or indeed that he doesn't hold a candle to the likes of the 2 above btw. You might be surprised how widespread that feeling is.

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t said whether I think Carey was ‘worthy of taking Atyeo’s record’ or not - but the fact is that he did and he is our all time appearance record holder so in my opinion that shows huge longevity and commitment to our club which shouldn’t be dismissed....and how is Carey’s support for Liverpool an issue for you? Jamie Carragher, Michael Owen, Steve McManaman and Robbie Fowler were all self-confessed Everton fans when racking up well over 1,200 appearances for Liverpool between them....

8 hours ago, StGeorge said:

Well just get off the social media love /hate fest then, make your own mind up according to what you see at AG and away, and ignore keyboard warriors

I now deliberately stay away from any ‘away days’ pages on Facebook/Twitter.

If City take 1500 anywhere it gets described as ‘tinpot’, ‘embarrassing’ or just ‘shit’. The Gas take 1000 up the road to Wycombe or Oxford and it gets applauded like it’s an amazing following and proof they are the most loyal supporters on the Planet. Granted most of the comments are from Sagheads but there’s plenty of gullible Northern types who fall for it.

Morons the lot of them.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You ridiculed Louis Carey being mentioned as a legend because, in your words, he ‘buggered off as we weren’t good enough’ - so that clearly shows that you had zero respect for him.....so I just assumed you had the same opinion on other prominent City players who are incredibly well thought of and vital parts of our history...yet they left us and came back...so I mentioned Tom Ritchie, Chris Garland and Scott Murray as examples....so, you respect those three but don’t respect Louis Carey?

Let’s just agree to disagree on Carey’s legendary status yeah. 

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t said whether I think Carey was ‘worthy of taking Atyeo’s record’ or not - but the fact is that he did and he is our all time appearance record holder so in my opinion that shows huge longevity and commitment to our club which shouldn’t be dismissed....and how is Carey’s support for Liverpool an issue for you? Jamie Carragher, Michael Owen, Steve McManaman and Robbie Fowler were all self-confessed Everton fans when racking up well over 1,200 appearances for Liverpool between them....

No doubting his longevity but legend status is all a matter of opinion, not something to be foisted on the fans by the temporary guardians of the club.

We all make up our own minds who merits it, to my mind Carey does not.

As for his trumpeted support for Liverpool, maybe that's just me, a minor thing perhaps but it pisses me off that after so many years at AG he states they are his team. No apology for that.

As did his vocal support for Bristol United - it seems he had no qualms about Bristol City F.C. disappearing, the club who paid him handsomely for so many years and which means so much to City supporters.

Still, as a lifelong Liverpool fan he can't be expected to understand that, can he?

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Let’s just agree to disagree on Carey’s legendary status yeah. 

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No doubting his longevity but legend status is all a matter of opinion, not something to be foisted on the fans by the temporary guardians of the club.

We all make up our own minds who merits it, to my mind Carey does not.

As for his trumpeted support for Liverpool, maybe that's just me, a minor thing perhaps but it pisses me off that after so many years at AG he states they are his team. No apology for that.

As did his vocal support for Bristol United - it seems he had no qualms about Bristol City F.C. disappearing, the club who paid him handsomely for so many years and which means so much to City supporters.

Still, as a lifelong Liverpool fan he can't be expected to understand that, can he?

Fair enough, happy to agree to disagree....cheers for the debate...

21 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I’d give this post a hundred likes. We’re talking about quality players, who gave there all over long periods of time , had City in the blood and still live and perform in my memories. 

On 03/01/2019 at 22:51, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough....totally respect your opinion....but I can’t agree that a guy who has been with us for five minutes deserves to be called a better footballer than another guy who gave his all to his hometown team in over 640 games....Carey moved to right back for a while and was still awesome...

I think I agree with RR that Webster is a more skilled player than Carey.

But that's not a knock on Louis at all, he was a fantastic servant to the club and certainly someone who is in a small category of people who truly deserve to be known as a club icon or legend.

In terms of who has done more for Bristol City or the contribution made that isn't a question and shouldn't become one until the unlikely event that Webster is here for 350+ games (yes, still 300 less than Carey, but by that point you're still looking at at least 8-9 years here).

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Louis Carey is a club legend, 100%.

But I though this was a thread about going to Forest?  Buying my tickets next week, can't bloody wait.  Will be my first time there.

It’s an easy walk to Trent Bridge if your into cricket.......The main gates were open when I was up there once. We wandered in, took a couple of photos.

All added to the day out.

Archived