IGNORED

Is Matt T for sale?

22A

Matt Taylor is a. Attacking midfielder in this division. However he is what Johnson senior called a luxury player. 

Personally I would almost always find him a spot in the team. But that’s me!

18 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

And if we did sell him for a profit and no dosh came their way because there isn`t a sell on we would undoubtedly be accused of some sort of fiddle designed to deprive them of what they would insist they`re owed. The oracle that is Henbury Ass would tell them we`re acting illegally and the rest of the herd would lap it up.

Who gives a ****!?

Good conversations, I think he is marmite. One or two great and memorable assists but numerous easy chances he put wide AG Derby and Villa last season. 

Keep him but please never ask for both a run of games for MT and players back from loans- AND new players only 10 outfielders permitted! 

Surely people can’t be serious about offering him a new deal? Apart from the odd decent 15 minute cameo what has he done since signing for us? On the rare occasion he starts he doesn’t make the most of it & is largely ineffective. The blokes 29 in March & has a very poor goal record for us. Clearly never going to be good enough at this level.

He works hard granted but if we want to kick on we need to be looking to improve on old no goals. Risk free at the price we paid but it hasn’t worked out. 

If we had signed him from anyone else, we wouldn't be saying 'new contract', we would be moving him on.

That said, there is something about his game that if played in the right role in the right side, could see him effective at this level.

Honestly think he would be better off in a side scrapping for survival than one with ambition and a game plan.

Either way, good luck to the fella. He is better off in a 'busy' role than as part of a disciplined game plan, which makes him a 20-minuter.

9 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Very neat and clever player. Doesn't do enough in the final third to hurt teams though.

Would rather see Eisa coming off the bench, he may yet prove to be good enough for this level. 

He seams to be an annoying little bar steward which I think teams need. 

Interesting reading through these comments. Think someone mentioned him turning 29 this year, so offer him a 2 year deal, even if he stays only another season, surely we would still recoup the 10 million lay out?? Personally don’t see him as a midfielder, touch isn’t deft enough. Also saw someone mention his movement being poor, personally think it’s one of his biggest strengths, constantly on the move picking up little pockets of space in between the lines. He also makes things happen, either through his movement or his work rate. Personally think he is a better option than Weimann at the minute. COYR 

49 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

He started 4 out of 5 consecutive matches between QPR away on 21st August, and West Brom away on 18th September, scoring 1 goal at Loftus Road,  https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=62090 .

Yes and a good run of form we were on aswell at that time.People just look at his stats and what he does with the ball at his feet and write him off, when the best part of his game is when he doesn’t even have the ball! He creates so much space for others allowing them to do their bit, but all too easy to say he’s not good enough for this level when you can’t even see what he does bring to the team. I’d urge you to just watch him, his movement and link up play is brilliant something that we’ve clearly lacked recently, there’s so much more to football than what someone does with the ball at their feet if you actually watch and take notice.

9 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Spot the mistake :facepalm:

Not just yourself but why do people think MT is a striker? He’s not played as a striker for aslong as I can remember.

So when he played up front with Weimann he wasn’t a striker? And last season he wasn’t a striker when he kept missing chances when partnering Tammy Abraham?

Thanks for informing me of that, it’s amazing what you can learn on here!

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

How do you draw that conclusion - he’s hardly had a run of starts because of various injuries.

Hes been fit before and sat on the bench week after week because lj k ows he doesnt have goals in him , i like him hes a tryer , but hes taking a strikers place in our squad and he doesnt score .....

41 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

He offers more than Weimann does. Give him a new contract.

Does he? Based on what? Weimann has scored more league goals for us in one month than Taylor has in 2 and a half seasons. Neither will ever score enough goals at this level but at least Weimann has performed at this level over a number of seasons. Taylor hasn’t.

I am far from Weimann’s biggest fan & he is woefully out of form at the moment. He is of course very limited but to say Taylor offers more is wide of the mark for me.

He tries really hard, that's about it...

We need more goals and he takes up a place for someone who would be a better finisher. If it wasn't for the type of transfer MT was he'd be off, plenty of the fans defend him or make excuses because they really want him to work out. Truth is for the 849 minutes we've given him this season we've received a poor goal return. 

Even though Weimann is out of form I can see why he starts ahead of him. I'd like to see a new goal scorer take MT/Weimann's place this window

I think Matty could play well alongside Andi Weimann provided we used the right tactics (not hitting high balls).  That's how we started the season didn't we?

I still think Fam makes a better impact sub than a starter (mainly due to his limited mobility and energy levels), but it's really more of a question of what tactical approach we use.

9 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I think Matty could play well alongside Andi Weimann provided we used the right tactics (not hitting high balls).  That's how we started the season didn't we?

I still think Fam makes a better impact sub than a starter (mainly due to his limited mobility and energy levels), but it's really more of a question of what tactical approach we use.

Started the season with Weimann with Pato in behind.

LJ went all clever v Boro, playing Watkins up top, and then Taylor came in v QPR.

I feel the positivity around our league form is somewhat presenting Mr Taylor with rose tinted specs. Due to his fee being so low City wont be overly concerned about him going on a free.

He hasnt done anywhere near enough to warrant a new contract, he is a clever footballer but i do not think he is good enough at this level.

His goal return is dire......3 goals from open play in 2 seasons? Im sorry, but if we are going to progress we need to upgrade.!

15 hours ago, Taz said:

For me, he needs a run of games up front. If he then still struggles at this level, then utilise him elsewhere - he runs and runs, pulls players out of position, and generally causes a nuisance. Use him as an attacking midfielder.

Plus, we have a song for him....

Did wonder about this earlier in the season- perhaps playing him behind Weimann with a revised version of our 4-4-1-1 except Taylor behind Weimann instead of Paterson behind Reid.

Would have had similarities but not quite the same. Probably a bit more emphasis on energy over technical (thinking Taylor over Paterson as the '10')- but still technically sound enough as a whole.

11 minutes ago, Lez said:

I feel the positivity around our league form is somewhat presenting Mr Taylor with rose tinted specs. Due to his fee being so low City wont be overly concerned about him going on a free.

He hasnt done anywhere near enough to warrant a new contract, he is a clever footballer but i do not think he is good enough at this level.

His goal return is dire......3 goals from open play in 2 seasons? Im sorry, but if we are going to progress we need to upgrade.!

How many times.......jeez............:facepalm:

When has Taylor had a sustained run of starts fot City?  Someone  posted on here that it’s 4 consecutive games........he’s spent long periods either carrying or out with injury and yet some fans keep saying he’s not a Championship standard striker when he’s hardly played ffs.......

Im not convinced that he’s 100% fit even now.

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

He tries really hard, that's about it...

We need more goals and he takes up a place for someone who would be a better finisher. If it wasn't for the type of transfer MT was he'd be off, plenty of the fans defend him or make excuses because they really want him to work out. Truth is for the 849 minutes we've given him this season we've received a poor goal return. 

Even though Weimann is out of form I can see why he starts ahead of him. I'd like to see a new goal scorer take MT/Weimann's place this window

Nail on head fella.

he is also taking up the place of anyone from the youth/development squad that could offer exactly what he does. 

Archived