IGNORED

Feels good being a city fan.

barneyrubble

Was having an after run rest on the couch yesterday looking at my framed picture of a packed  Ashton Gate. Made me realise what  great memories I have of supporting city for the last 50 years.

The stadium has changed and is now unrecognisable from when I first watched stood on a wooden stool at the front of the old East end.

The ups and downs have been never ending and the experiences I would not swap for anything. Yes it's not always great like watching us lose 6 0 away at Bradford but these games only made the sweet victories more enjoyable.

Had a think about my best moments and the best 3 were watching city beat Stockport County away 4 1 in the cup on a night game atmosphere that night was unbelievable.  Number 2 was watching us beat the gas 3 1 at trumpton and the memory of body surfing on the crowd everytime we scored. Number 1 the cup win at Anfield a day I will never forget and only beaten by watching the birth of my two children and my wedding day as my best ever memories.

We actually deserved to win that night the players ran their socks off ,scored a great goal and defended like their lives depended on it. The atmosphere was unbelievable and when Ian rush missed an absolute sitter you just felt we would do it. At the end the kop stayed behind and applauded our team on their lap of honour which made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.The ride home was very sweet.

Football and sport have the ability to give you highs and lows you just need to enjoy the ride as you could be doing a whole lot worse then watching city.

Your best memories?

For me the most recent feel good moment was when Matty Taylor chipped the ball over the Man Ure defence to Korey Smith......he calmly brought it down on his chest and the rest is history! 

Followed by the 2-2 draw against Leeds a couple if seasons ago..we scored two goals quickly in the dying moments of the game to take a point.....the carnival atmosphere was electric! 

9 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

For me the most recent feel good moment was when Matty Taylor chipped the ball over the Man Ure defence to Korey Smith......he calmly brought it down on his chest and the rest is history! 

Followed by the 2-2 draw against Leeds a couple if seasons ago..we scored two goals quickly in the dying moments of the game to take a point.....the carnival atmosphere was electric! 

That was great, first game I ever managed to get my wife to come to, quality intro to live football.

2nd match she came to was the 5-0 against Plymouth!

1 hour ago, Barney red said:

Was having an after run rest on the couch yesterday looking at my framed picture of a packed  Ashton Gate. Made me realise what  great memories I have of supporting city for the last 50 years.

The stadium has changed and is now unrecognisable from when I first watched stood on a wooden stool at the front of the old East end.

The ups and downs have been never ending and the experiences I would not swap for anything. Yes it's not always great like watching us lose 6 0 away at Bradford but these games only made the sweet victories more enjoyable.

Had a think about my best moments and the best 3 were watching city beat Stockport County away 4 1 in the cup on a night game atmosphere that night was unbelievable.  Number 2 was watching us beat the gas 3 1 at trumpton and the memory of body surfing on the crowd everytime we scored. Number 1 the cup win at Anfield a day I will never forget and only beaten by watching the birth of my two children and my wedding day as my best ever memories.

We actually deserved to win that night the players ran their socks off ,scored a great goal and defended like their lives depended on it. The atmosphere was unbelievable and when Ian rush missed an absolute sitter you just felt we would do it. At the end the kop stayed behind and applauded our team on their lap of honour which made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.The ride home was very sweet.

Football and sport have the ability to give you highs and lows you just need to enjoy the ride as you could be doing a whole lot worse then watching city.

Your best memories?

I thought we won 6-0 there and got promoted???

Or was I totally p1ssed?

:dunno:

:laugh:

5 4 win away to Mansfield, not an earth shattering result, but incredible excitement in a packed away end, 4 2 down with 6 minutes left, followed by lots of antics in the car park outside afterwards, just a really good away day. My Dad, getting on a bit, didn't realise we had actually won, the celebrations of goals 4 and 5 sort of merged into one!

The 1-0 win at Arsenal, the 3-1 win over Chelsea in the FA Cup (watched with my wife, an ardent Chelsea fan), the play off matches against Hartlepool and Crystal Palace plus of course Manchester United last season. Also enjoyed my day out at the Etiad in the semi final

4 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Did we ever win 3-1 at Twerton? I remember the 4-2 (fantastic day!) but don't recall another victory there?

Think he's talking about a league cup game back in the early 90s. Sadly, ties then were two legged... we lost the home leg 4-2 and went out on away goals!

5 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Think he's talking about a league cup game back in the early 90s. Sadly, ties then were two legged... we lost the home leg 4-2 and went out on away goals!

Ah I've no recollection of that game. Bloody part-timer.

One I do recall fondly is away at Chester City 1984(?) to secure promotion from div 4. I don't think there was ever a more emotional day than that watching the City.

13 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

For anyone who was there it has to be the 1-0 at Highbury in '76, our first game back in Div 1. Everything was perfect, a hot sunny day, massive away support and we won 1-0 with a superb header from Cheese. Nothing can top that for me.

13 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

For anyone who was there it has to be the 1-0 at Highbury in '76, our first game back in Div 1. Everything was perfect, a hot sunny day, massive away support and we won 1-0 with a superb header from Cheese. Nothing can top that for me.

It was indeed a massive day in our history and if only Cheese had not been injured in that second game - think he could have achieved really great things.

But for me 1-0 away win at Leeds even surpassed that. Two semis against Palace were also amazing. And yes - Man U but mainly because of my dislike of lots about them.

Mansfield away 5-4 was one of the most sensational games (home or away), the last 5mins were and still are a complete blur....

Palace away with THAT Noble goal, boiling hot, away end (side) absolutely packed, walking through the streets around the ground before n after.

Forest away in the Littlewoods Cup semi final first leg, check out the crowd surges on footage!

The Gas away at Trumpton in 1996, 4-2, rolling up pissed from Bath city centre before the game....myself and 3 mates on the fences for each of the goals. The hoodoo was finally banished!

Chelsea in the FA Cup, 3-1 in the rain at the Gate, packed, THAT Psycho sliding tackle, Ronnie's save, tasty!

Leicester away in FA Cup in the cold, freezing pitch, a masterclass from Jacki..

For me, Liverpool away is at the top, @Barney red is right, when the mighty Ian Rush missed from almost under the bar you just knew we were going to lose. When the Tinman smashed into the bottom corner, the place went ballistic. And the generosity of the Kop to stay behind and applaud us.....

Just a few that my grey matter can still recall.

Beating United and playing against City in the semis last year are all up there along with the promotion game against Pompey and the dramatic end of season game at highfield road in the 70's.

Our first top flight game against Arsenal at highbury and our FA cup win at Elland Road when Leeds were the top team in the land.

My first really big game was the Spurs FL cup srmi final and that always stays in my mind too.

44 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

As a child, my clearest memory is beating Fulham 6-0 at home, Fulham including George Cohen of the England World Cup winning team.

Also beating champions Liverpool 2-1 in our first season back in the top division was quite special.

That Fulham game was my first ever game back in 68/69.

i still have the programme that someone on here offered me and posted to me, without accepting any payment.

The Bradford 6-0 away win to secure promotion is right up there for me - how implausible that City should leave absolutely no doubt about the outcome! Great evening. 

Chester in 1984 is another cracking memory, as is the win at Liverpool.

And yes, that Freight River win at home to Hereford - was it Steve Neville, 118th minute? - that was a special result...'City are back' and all that.

But I'm not sure anything beats the home wins against Palace in the 2008 play-offs and Man United last year for sheer exhilaration.

Lovely thread, thanks to @Barney red for starting it.  

Archived