IGNORED

Feels good being a city fan.

barneyrubble

2 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

I know I’m sad but living in Horfield the Donawa moment is what always comes to mind when thinking about best moments.

Even though I was at Coventry, Highbury, Anfield, Home v Liverpool, Elland Road etc.  

Martyn Hirsts winner anyone ?

Paul Marion’s goal at Forest ?

Cheesley at Highbury .?

Some absolutely amazing memories and, I guess when it sometimes feels like there’s more downs than ups, that’s the reason we do it. Almost impossible to pick a single favourite so amongst them:

Andy Leaning’s display away at Oxford United in the league cup in 1988

Mickey Bell scoring two unbelievable goals away at Notts County in a 4-4 draw 

3-1 away at Cardiff when Scotty wound them up

The amazing feeling when Bobby put us 1 up at the Ethiad

For completeness the 6-0 away at Bradford. 

But there’s so many more....

Last time we were in top flight - not a game but a goal.

April 1978 City 1-1 Liverpool

Stevie Heighways goal in front of the EE was superb.

The whole ground just clapped - trapped the ball on to his chest,  turned , kneed it back up and volleyed into the back of the net - what else could you do?

God the legends of British Football who came to AG during that period was incredible.

I feel sorry for younger fans - you will never feel the rage and pride of the EE as we played some of the best clubs in the world - and won a few.

THAT was football. 

Not this.

13 hours ago, Ian Crabbe said:

Can anyone remember when we got promoted in 2007,did Rotherham get relegated on the same day.

My best game was coming back from 2-0 down in first leg to beat Hereford and go on to play at

Wembley for the first time,happy daze.

Yes they did, (think thy might already have been down)

Their fans still applauded our promotion though 

5 hours ago, SX227 said:

God the legends of British Football who came to AG during that period was incredible.

I feel sorry for younger fans - you will never feel the rage and pride of the EE as we played some of the best clubs in the world - and won a few.

THAT was football. 

Not this.

Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.......

Do you also remember standing with piss over your shoes when you went for a slash....no seat on the toilet if you needed a crap or bog paper for that matter. Fans  smoking all around you.

Sure the atmosphere isn’t quite the same as it was but that’s largely down to all seating stadium. 

Time has moved on and so has football.We all live in a more sterile world these days.

i enjoy going to AG just as much these days as I ever did but for different reasons.

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Martyn Hirsts winner anyone ?

Paul Marion’s goal at Forest ?

Cheesley at Highbury .?

Was at all of those Bob but it’s the Donawa moment for me. 

Gas fans not respecting Des Williams minutes silence, Holloway (I think) missing penalty, singing ‘will you ever beat the gas’. Last minute goal absolute mayhem. 

17 hours ago, Ring said:

This is my most memorable moment. 1991, playing the old moustachioed gas.

Final 10 mins, the gas are awarded a penalty, which Holloway takes. Andy Leaning saves!

Straight back up the other end and a Louie Donovan scrappy goal! It didn’t matter that it wasn’t great quality, I’ve never felt the Dolman bounce as much in 40 years!

All the sweeter as it was the end of the gas’ hoodoo over us.

Enjoy watching this, I know I loved watching it again.

Superb night. I was in the enclosure, and don't think that I've ever celebrated as mentally as for that goal.

On 03/01/2019 at 13:42, Wanderingred said:

Anyway, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 2007 promotion clincher vs Rotherham. Boiling hot day, sell out crowd,  fans drinking on the streets beforehand, an epic pitch invasion and the satisfaction of pipping Forest and their condescending fans.

What made it even sweeter was that it came after so many near misses.. In 1998 and 2015 promotions, we had bounced back quickly and relatively effortlessly from recent relegations but this was the climax of a long hard  8 year slog in the the tier, one which seemed destined never to end.The capitulation at Blackpool, playoff defeats to Cardiff and then Blackpool, the mess of the Tinnion era, Plymouth and their whole ***POP*** nonsense. .. We'd watched so many others celebrate at our expense and this was finally our day in the sun.

Finally, I felt that the heartache was worth it. Sheer footballing joy and my favourite moment as a City fan.

That was a pretty great day- 8 years of slog as you say, the Brighton playoff loss- remember being with my dad at Swindon away and he was of the view that year that Miller's miss would cost us promotion. I scoffed at that as there was still 3 weeks to a month left. Alas, we missed it by one point...

That day in May v Rotherham, fantastic atmosphere too.

On 04/01/2019 at 07:35, Robbored said:

Do you also remember standing with piss over your shoes when you went for a slash....no seat on the toilet if you needed a crap or bog paper for that matter. Fans  smoking all around you.

Sure the atmosphere isn’t quite the same as it was but that’s largely down to all seating stadium. 

Time has moved on and so has football.We all live in a more sterile world these days.

i enjoy going to AG just as much these days as I ever did but for different reasons.

I agree and disagree with this post.

This was before my time however...

The older days do sound pretty fun in a variety of ways, more so than now- a lot more leeway for a start (for good and bad)! A lot more leeway though.

As you say though, the world, society is much more sterile, controlled perhaps now- times change, society changes and football has definitely been part of this.

On 04/01/2019 at 07:35, Robbored said:

Lucky you if you enjoy today’s football experience as much as these classics of the past. I was at almost all those games mentioned on this thread and imo, following City today is a pale shadow of some of those fantastic matches in the past. The passion, committment and intensity just isn’t there any more for me and neither is the connection between the players, club and supporters .

Even thinking about those games sends a tingle down the spine and I can remember them clear as day. Most of what we’re seeing today is instantly forgettable by comparison imo.

6 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Lucky you if you enjoy today’s football experience as much as these classics of the past. I was at almost all those games mentioned on this thread and imo, following City today is a pale shadow of some of those fantastic matches in the past. The passion, committment and intensity just isn’t there any more for me and neither is the connection between the players, club and supporters .

Even thinking about those games sends a tingle down the spine and I can remember them clear as day. Most of what we’re seeing today is instantly forgettable by comparison imo.

We’ve all grown older BR.......The things I used to think were great fun and a good craic aren’t the same these days as they were in my younger days. 

I daresay it’s the same for all of my generation.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We’ve all grown older BR.......The things I used to think were great fun and a good craic aren’t the same these days as they were in my younger days. 

I daresay it’s the same for all of my generation.

Could be right RR. On the other hand, I can be sat bored to tears at the Gate most matches, but only need to glimpse one of these old clips and the excitement comes flooding back.

I’m just glad we had the chance to enjoy football as it was in those days and hopefully the younger ones can enjoy current football just as much in their own way.

Sadly it won’t work for me, being able to compare the two, but good on you, if you can get the buzz from what we’re being served up today.

10 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Could be right RR. On the other hand, I can be sat bored to tears at the Gate most matches, but only need to glimpse one of these old clips and the excitement comes flooding back.

I’m just glad we had the chance to enjoy football as it was in those days and hopefully the younger ones can enjoy current football just as much in their own way.

Sadly it won’t work for me, being able to compare the two, but good on you, if you can get the buzz from what we’re being served up today.

Years ago particularly standing in the EE I couldn’t tell you the if a game was boring or not. Too much going on around. jostling to get a better view signing, chanting and slagging off the opposition players.....and fans...

The salient in the EE didn’t enable a full view if the pitch - even if you were right at the top near the exit. I reckon I was in there for around 20+ years apart from the occasional game in the open end. A better view there for sure.

Iirc my brother in law wanted to take in a City match and for whatever reason we ended up in the Dolman - what a view! Not long after I changed my ST for a seat in there and haven’t moved stands since. Watching a game from there enables a much clearer view to see formations, tactics and flow of the match. Now I know if the style of football is drab and boring.

As I posted earlier we’ve all grown older and I have developed a far more philosophical way of all things Bristol City. There was a time when standing with piss over yer shoes didn’t bother me one iota - if I had that now I’d be firing off an angry email with the word ‘disgusting’ in it......time changes everything!

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

Had the Wembley Wonders book by Richard Latham for Xmas.  Started reading it last night.  That era comes flooding back.  I didn’t go to Wembley, but it still evokes great memories.

On 03/01/2019 at 19:36, Ring said:

Third (and last) favourite...

1992 cup tie against Leicester City. The Junior and Jacki show.

I could only find a poor quality video. The BBC showed it, with John Motson saying about Jacki “he’s not just from a different country, he looks like he’s from a different planet”.

DZIEKANOWSKI! ITS 2, ITS 2-0!!

Some pretty tasty challenges flying in as well - a few red cards if that was nowadays!

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Years ago particularly standing in the EE I couldn’t tell you the if a game was boring or not. Too much going on around. jostling to get a better view signing, chanting and slagging off the opposition players.....and fans...

The salient in the EE didn’t enable a full view if the pitch - even if you were right at the top near the exit. I reckon I was in there for around 20+ years apart from the occasional game in the open end. A better view there for sure.

Iirc my brother in law wanted to take in a City match and for whatever reason we ended up in the Dolman - what a view! Not long after I changed my ST for a seat in there and haven’t moved stands since. Watching a game from there enables a much clearer view to see formations, tactics and flow of the match. Now I know if the style of football is drab and boring.

As I posted earlier we’ve all grown older and I have developed a far more philosophical way of all things Bristol City. There was a time when standing with piss over yer shoes didn’t bother me one iota - if I had that now I’d be firing off an angry email with the word ‘disgusting’ in it......time changes everything!

Yes, piss on your shoes isn’t one of my greatest memories of those days. Didn’t they have some sort of trailer for the toilets at the back of the Muller Rd end at Eastville? I’ve got a really clear memory of walking in there one time and because the thing hadn’t been achored down, as you walked in the whole trailer tilted, mening the bloked urinal slopped most of its contents onto anyone unfortunate enough to be stood in front of it!

Completely agree on the view from the East End, but for me, the atmosphere made up for the inferior view. I did move into the Enclosure in later years, but again the terracing was a bit shallow. Atmosphere was still good there, but nothing compared to the East End in full voice. I’ve been in the Dolman a fair few times and while you get a fantastic view of the whole pitch, I just couldn’t take to it for some reason.

I’m just happier behind the goal, so up in the back of the SS now and a great view from my perspective. Just wish it could have been as good a view from the East End, as that sould have been perfect.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Had the Wembley Wonders book by Richard Latham for Xmas.  Started reading it last night.  That era comes flooding back.  I didn’t go to Wembley, but it still evokes great memories.

Got loads of the City history books too Dave, though haven’t got that one yet.

That first Wembley appearance was awesome and the interest around it was incredible at the time.  We had to hire a self drive minibus and due to the interest that game, there was absolutely nothing available in Bristol, so I think we eventually managed to find a beaten up wreck somewhere around Timsbury.

I know that competition has been so devalued these days, but the Freight Rover Trophy really meant something in those days. Absolutely loved it and that Wembley final and the huge support we took really was the sign we were on our way back up after some very dark times for the club.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That was a pretty great day- 8 years of slog as you say, the Brighton playoff loss- remember being with my dad at Swindon away and he was of the view that year that Miller's miss would cost us promotion. I scoffed at that as there was still 3 weeks to a month left. Alas, we missed it by one point...

That day in May v Rotherham, fantastic atmosphere too.

There was about 200 Rotherham fans in the corner of the east end and the rest of the gate was buzzing. I was lucky enough to be there via work and had persuaded my company  to sponsor the programme that day . 

I presented David noble with his man of the match award - sadly I look completely inebriated and the zip on my trousers wasn’t working so it looks quite dodgy .david noble looks petrified ! 

It’s all captured on a framed photo which sits proudly in the man cave also ... now you’ve reminded me of that it was an awesome spine tingling day .. 

On 03/01/2019 at 18:48, Ring said:

This is my most memorable moment. 1991, playing the old moustachioed gas.

Final 10 mins, the gas are awarded a penalty, which Holloway takes. Andy Leaning saves!

Straight back up the other end and a Louie Donovan scrappy goal! It didn’t matter that it wasn’t great quality, I’ve never felt the Dolman bounce as much in 40 years!

All the sweeter as it was the end of the gas’ hoodoo over us.

Enjoy watching this, I know I loved watching it again.

Louie who????!!!

Edit: ignore....I see you’ve noticed your schoolboy error!

Most have been mentioned 

Chester away, promotion

Gas away, cup 1-2 

As a youngster living in west Somerset I couldn't get to many games but when I could persuade someone to take me I could barely sleep for days leading up to it I was so excited....and this was when I was in my teens.

Remember, even a visit to Bristol and drivjng past the ground was a treat that didn't happen often, so very different to those of my age that lived in Bristol.

One such game was in mid December 1978, forget going around the Christmas shops, I couldn't give a monkey's, there was only one present I wanted and that was a win against the all conquering Liverpool.

The majority of kids at school were Liverpool fans, who could blame them, they were just about the best team in Europe if not the world.

A long pass-come-cross from everyone's favourite player, Gerry Gow, a nod down from Gillies an acrobatic shot from Joe Royle and we've scored what turned out to be a late winner.

The crowd had been crammed in like sardines but now there were huge gaps as fans surged forward. For a few seconds I couldn't breath as my small frame was squashed in the crush, I was scared for them few seconds, it felt like a couple minutes but even then I was thinking, what a way to go.

As before the game, after the final whistle I took a walk all around the Ashton Gate area taking in all I could, knowing I would have to rely on memories for the next few months. I can distinctly remember thinking this was my church, cathedral, place of worship......still is 40 years later.

For a shy lad with little confidence, going back to school on Monday I had never walked so tall, proud and cocky. 

Love you City x

On 04/01/2019 at 11:06, Offside said:

Most of mine have already been mentioned.

Top memory for me is probably the 3-0 win against Bolton at Wembley. Magical day.

Others (in no particular order):

Donowa 1 Gas 0

5-4 at Mansfield

1-0 at Anfield

2-1 v Man Utd

8-2 v Walsall

I'd add Hartlepool to that at home and Palace away..... thinking back there's been some great away days for many different reasons. 

Archived