IGNORED

City 1976-80 Name The Players Quiz

handsofclay

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I must have completely blanked Roger Kenyon from my mind, can't remember him Turning out for us at all. Used to really like Everton so makes it even worse.

So stunned I had to check in my books. Played 4 times 79/80

10th Nov ...... Derby home lost  0-2 looks like he played LB

21st Dec .......Southampton  home lost 0-1 Centre half

26th Dec .......WBA.    Away  lost 0-3 centre half

League cup

14th Nov ......Forest  away lost.  0-3 LB

Funny you post that.  Certainly don’t remember him being with us at all, but assumed from photo he was one of the 70s squad who wasn’t needed once we went up...hadn’t even thought it was the Kenyon who played for Everton.

A407DCC5-F906-4A6C-8D47-445551AEB4B1.jpeg

For those gasping to know, and measure the slightly depressing aging process of their former City heroes against their own much more depressing one:

Len Bond 64

John Bain 61

Pertti Jantunen 66

Roger Kenyon 70 tomorrow!! Hooray!! Happy Birthday Rog.?

Kevin Mabbutt 60 - You couldn't budge me from the school football team, could you Kev?

Tony Fitzpatrick 62

Geert Meijer 67

Alan Hay 60

Ian Doyle No record in Wiki, let's give him a 60. :yes:

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

I almost had save for that cup match at the then invincible Forest which is forever ingrained in my memory. Good detective work.

One of the longest nights of my life! Drove up with Johnny Carr (Cadillac "fame"). In order for him to go had to take his then Mrs to visit her brother.....in Chester ****** field  !

After an appalling display, instead of driving straight home had to head north again to Twisted spire land to pick Mrs Carr up. We were forced to watch it again on her brother's tv (Sportsnight ?) before being allowed to head home..........and not even offered a cup of tea !  NOT one of my bast away games .:facepalm:

40 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Own up....you researched it didn’t you?? As you are a Liverpool fan, who would also have been too young back then to recognise Ian Doyle, I demand you reveal your source of these nuggets....! 

I used to have the posters on my bedroom wall. Hay took some getting, but Doyle I remembered.  Even when I didn’t go as s whippersnapper my dad would bring home the programme and I’d read cover to cover.  

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I used to have the posters on my bedroom wall. Hay took some getting, but Doyle I remembered.  Even when I didn’t go as s whippersnapper my dad would bring home the programme and I’d read cover to cover.  

You recognised a guy who played not too many games for us 40 years and who is now 60 ish years old?! Ok then....

5 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Didn't get any of them, mind you I was only 9.  I would have got Dave Rodgers had he been there, he was groundsman up at Golden Hill while I was at BGS.  I was too scared to go and talk to him...daft, really (but he was quite an intimidating looking guy)

Happened to be my house master at Clifton College (yeah yeah, look at me, well posh). He was a top bloke, though was a massive Liverpool fan (bloody plastic!). Loved his cricket as well. Retired a good 6-7 years back.

5 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Didn't get any of them, mind you I was only 9.  I would have got Dave Rodgers had he been there, he was groundsman up at Golden Hill while I was at BGS.  I was too scared to go and talk to him...daft, really (but he was quite an intimidating looking guy)

David Rogers was in the year below me at Cotham school in the 1960's.

He was one of those annoying blokes that was good at every bloody sport.

My claim to fame was that I beat him in a one mile athletics race.

:winner_third_h4h:

4 hours ago, swampy said:

Happy days ... 

jq019.jpg

Gordon Parr, Terry Bush, Jack Connor, Tony Ford, Mike Gibson, Alec Briggs, Chris Garland, Ken Wimshurst, Les Bardsley.

Danny Bartley, Jantzen Derrick, Chris Crowe, Alan Dicks, John Galley, Johnny Quigley, Roger (Lou) Peters, Trevor Jacobs.

I think!!!

2 hours ago, Redtucks said:

David Rogers was in the year below me at Cotham school in the 1960's.

He was one of those annoying blokes that was good at every bloody sport.

My claim to fame was that I beat him in a one mile athletics race.

:winner_third_h4h:

I remember quite a few years ago on this forum I was singing the praises of the David Rogers/Norman Hunter central defensive partnership in our best year in the 70s top flight era (1978/79) and controversially putting forward the opinion that, whilst Geoff Merrick had been a fantastic leader of the promotion team, he never really cut it in the top flight (partly due to Norman Hunter's arrival in 1976 pushing him out to left back and then misfortune with injuries).   For those not around at the time think of Dave Rogers as a Flint type who won everything in the air and scored a fair few goals at set pieces,  but had the occasional(!) mistake in our penalty area but had a class act in Hunter to mop everything up.  The partnership of 2 incredibly hard men, one who was a typical centre half of the time, and the other a cultured and classy ex England international who would surely have won far more caps if not competing with Bobby Moore for the same position in the England team for most of his career, worked a treat.  This was in the days when defenders were more often up against the likes of Malcolm Macdonald ,Joe Jordan and Stuart Pearson rather than the silky skills of the modern day strikers of the Prem.

Alongside this back story, I loved the comment in Dave Wood's brilliant book from David Rogers that "just to pull Norman Hunter's leg,  I  felt I never got the credit for making him a good player"!!  Brilliant...

5 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I remember quite a few years ago on this forum I was singing the praises of the David Rogers/Norman Hunter central defensive partnership in our best year in the 70s top flight era (1978/79) and controversially putting forward the opinion that, whilst Geoff Merrick had been a fantastic leader of the promotion team, he never really cut it in the top flight (partly due to Norman Hunter's arrival in 1976 pushing him out to left back and then misfortune with injuries).   For those not around at the time think of Dave Rogers as a Flint type who won everything in the air and scored a fair few goals at set pieces,  but had the occasional(!) mistake in our penalty area but had a class act in Hunter to mop everything up.  The partnership of 2 incredibly hard men, one who was a typical centre half of the time, and the other a cultured and classy ex England international who would surely have won far more caps if not competing with Bobby Moore for the same position in the England team for most of his career, worked a treat.  This was in the days when defenders were more often up against the likes of Malcolm Macdonald ,Joe Jordan and Stuart Pearson rather than the silky skills of the modern day strikers of the Prem.

Alongside this back story, I loved the comment in Dave Wood's brilliant book from David Rogers that "just to pull Norman Hunter's leg,  I  felt I never got the credit for making him a good player"!!  Brilliant...

All opinions, but I saw Rogers as a few levels below Collier and Merrick. Geoff was a little unlucky that Hunter was playing ‘his’ position, did well at FB but never the same. I was a big fan of Collier, really disappointed when he left. As for Rogers, my lasting memories are clumsy defending and own goals. Very unfair I know, but in comparison, Merrick, Collier and Hunter were very classy players.

Come on guys, Rodgers had a 'd' in it!

We had a Martin Rogers about the same time iirc ( not sure he ever played in the 1st team) and later Lee Rogers, also a CB, whose promising career was ended early by injury.

Plus of course Arnold Rodgers, David Rodgers father.

5 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

As he has been mentioned a lot here is a pic of David Rodgers then and now. The only person who played in the First Division of old, albeit not for many minutes, that David Woods couldn't track down was Brian McNeil.

20190104_094858.jpg

Sorry to be a spelling bore but I'm on a roll and it's double 'l' in McNeill HoC.

McNeill went to America with Bain.

'Although born in Scotland, Bain's father was a scout for the English club Bristol City. Bain signed with Bristol City in July 1974, but was unable to break into the first team. In 1976, Bristol loaned him to Brentford for the 1976/77 season. In 1978, Bristol transferred two players, defender Brian McNeill and John Bain to the Portland Timbers of the North American Soccer League.'

38 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Come on guys, Rodgers had a 'd' in it!

We had a Martin Rogers about the same time iirc ( not sure he ever played in the 1st team) and later Lee Rogers, also a CB, whose promising career was ended early by injury.

Plus of course Arnold Rodgers, David Rodgers father.

Mia culpa ☹️

in my defence, typing quickly and couldn’t be arsed to double check. 

45 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not normally pernickety but it was several posters in a row leaving out the 'd'!

Guilty as charged, in my defence I was copying the "no d" posts before mine, but very sloppy as I was also referencing the David Woods book which did have the correct spelling.  Too much Chilean Merlot didn't help either! I still maintain that this was our best defensive partnership in the "Four Seasons", despite Dave's limitations.  I can't imagine many strikers relished the physical battle they faced against Hunter and Rodgers, especially when you add the cultured defensive and forward looking skills that Big Norm brought to our team (which surprised many of us who thought he was basically a dirty clogger when he was at Leeds !)

18 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Guilty as charged, in my defence I was copying the "no d" posts before mine, but very sloppy as I was also referencing the David Woods book which did have the correct spelling.  Too much Chilean Merlot didn't help either! I still maintain that this was our best defensive partnership in the "Four Seasons", despite Dave's limitations.  I can't imagine many strikers relished the physical battle they faced against Hunter and Rodgers, especially when you add the cultured defensive and forward looking skills that Big Norm brought to our team (which surprised many of us who thought he was basically a dirty clogger when he was at Leeds !)

I remember you being a big Rodgers advocate ND.

My opinion is unchanged, a fairly limited player imo., but I do agree a very tough opponent physically alongside Hunter and a colossus, if cumbersome and ungainly, in both boxes.

I don't think Merrick was moved because he was not good enough. We couldn't turn down the chance of getting Norm. and Drysdale wasn't up to Div.1 so Merrick - a great club man - took it on the chin and played out of position at LB.

Don't forget Merrick, along with Tom Ritchie, was the subject of a big bid - at the time - from Arsenal in the promotion season so Bertie Mee and the Arsenal scouts evidently thought of him as a top First Division defensive prospect.

Archived