IGNORED

Adam Webster

Sparkz 76

People do try to remember that Flint is a vital part of a Boro defence that has only conceded 18 league goals in 28 games for them this season, which is 10 better than any other Champ side.

As good as Webster is, let's not forget how good Flinty is at this level. I mean, imagine the two of them together!

I think something was said when we signed him (cant remember if it was from our side or Ipswich's), but basically the price we paid for him was because of his injury record, and if it wasn't for that, he would be worth a lot more. It was also mentioned that if he could stay clear of injuries, then he would be a hell of a player.

Personally I think that as good a player as Flint was for us, he was part of a defence that wasn't great for a few years. He had his limitations, but his goals for us more than made up for these. In Webster I think we've got a better defender than Flint, and if he carries on the way he is, if we don't progress over the next few years then he will be off for big money. 

IF we could get Kalas permanently (unlikely) and tie NM down for a few years, along with Webster they could easily be one of the best spines in the league.

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Flint lived off of his cult hero status which came off of his goal scoring exploits. As a defender he was lower half championship standard, as is now being shown at Boro. 

Webster is defensively miles ahead of him

Is that Middlesborough who have conceded .........

18 goals

in........26 games

Brilliant 

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Flint lived off of his cult hero status which came off of his goal scoring exploits. As a defender he was lower half championship standard, as is now being shown at Boro. 

Webster is defensively miles ahead of him

Boro's defensive record doesn't suggest Flint is doing too badly. I prefer Webster but Flint deserves our respect and gratitude.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Boro's defensive record doesn't suggest Flint is doing too badly. I prefer Webster but Flint deserves our respect and gratitude.

Different players , different qualities

I was and am a massive massive Flint fan , made the absolute best of everything he had and I really respect that - One of the best 

Adam Webster is a  more natural , and better footballer which speaks for itself after the above

10 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Flint ....... as a defender he was lower half championship standard, as is now being shown at Boro. 

That would be Boro in the top 6 with one of the best defensive records in the league. You may need some rewiring fella

We all rate Webster a lot. Doesn’t mean you have to (falsely) slag off Flinty. Great player

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Different players , different qualities

I was and am a massive massive Flint fan , made the absolute best of everything he had and I really respect that - One of the best 

Adam Webster is a  more natural , and better footballer which speaks for itself after the above

Indeed 

Flint is Jack Charlton , Webster, Bobby Moore. :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Is that Middlesborough who have conceded .........

18 goals

in........26 games

Brilliant 

5 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

That would be Boro in the top 6 with one of the best defensive records in the league. You may need some rewiring fella

We all rate Webster a lot. Doesn’t mean you have to (falsely) slag off Flinty. Great player

Yep, and if you look through here, he's got 4 average ratings bove a 7 out of all the games he's played this season, hardly excellent... 

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=8961&page=2

Flint was a very limited defender, and to get 6.5 million for him was cracking business

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Yep, and if you look through here, he's got 4 average ratings bove a 7 out of all the games he's played this season, hardly excellent... 

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=8961&page=2

Flint was a very limited defender, and to get 6.5 million for him was cracking business

Yeah .......ok then 

very limited .........ok

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yeah .......ok then 

very limited .........ok

He was a limited defender, put his body on the line and his height helped him win headers but with the ball on the floor he was very poor, especially when compared to Webster

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Even more a surprise that Ipswich let him go - unless he wanted to leave of course,

Needed to raise some cash and I read he was keen to move

Very good signing and proves if you get your scouting right and are prepared to spend reasonable sums there are players for us out there

42 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Spot on, Gary was the most skilled centre half we have produced in my lifetime imo and Webster is very much like him.

I can pay no higher compliment than that.

Good call with GC and the comparison with Webbo, but would not put GC above Norman Hunter or Keith Curle.  The fact that we are comparing him with that class of defender bodes very well though!?

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

He was a limited defender, put his body on the line and his height helped him win headers but with the ball on the floor he was very poor, especially when compared to Webster

You are way off the mark with Flint and make some laughable comments IMHO

For one so tall and dominant in the air , he wasn’t bad on the floor , improved dramatically , and clearly worked hard on his game

Hes a very good Championship Centre Half

and

And you will understand his value if you ever manage

He was a warrior , a natural leader by inspiration , priceless 

Not the absolute best in the air, even though he gets the job done, and doesn't score enough goals. (Right , any Prem scouts will have left now)

Two footed , balanced , reads the game brilliantly, even temperament and has vision. Got Prem CB written all over him.

Archived