Adam Webster

Sparkz 76

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think that playing in front of Maenappa must be helping everyone

Make no apologies mentioning him again

Wasnt convinced by his signing , based on his career

But ......fair play......been flawless , virtually, solid as *****

To me he is looking more and more assured by the week

What a great signing he’s turning out to be! I was the same and had my doubts, only because I’d never heard of him previously, but for the first time probably since Heaton I have total confidence in our keeper to deal with anything that comes his way.

Top signing.

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Also helps Maenpaa's confidence playing behind such a solid defence - probably a chicken and egg situation!

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Believe he is.

Have also heard he feels the best he ever has physically here at City. He's on a special training regime that should ensure his previous injuries aren't aggrevated.

I must admit though, I watched him very closely v Rotherham and noticed he made quite a few little errors on the ball, one of which led to a v good Rotherham chance in the first half.

I haven't seen enough of him this season to comment fully but he has been a fault for at least a couple of goals so isn't infallible.  Flint would have been chastised for making similar errors! 

His first touch can be a tad casual at times, sometimes resulting in a second touch on the stretch.  I’ve seen less of that of late, where he has been very good.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You are way off the mark with Flint and make some laughable comments IMHO

For one so tall and dominant in the air , he wasn’t bad on the floor , improved dramatically , and clearly worked hard on his game

Hes a very good Championship Centre Half

and

And you will understand his value if you ever manage

He was a warrior , a natural leader by inspiration , priceless 

Sorry fergie...

Theres a reason why our defence is so much better this season compared to recent ones where Flint was a mainstay. As you said he was a warrior but he was also very error prone, Webster is much calmer and less rash. 

How we got 6.5 mill for a decent 29 year old defender I don't know

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Sorry fergie...

Theres a reason why our defence is so much better this season compared to recent ones where Flint was a mainstay. As you said he was a warrior but he was also very error prone, Webster is much calmer and less rash. 

How we got 6.5 mill for a decent 29 year old defender I don't know

Try imaging Flint having Kalas alongside him. Then try imaging Flint playing in a team set up this season to be much more compact than the ones he played in.

Try enjoying a player who contributed mightily to one of the most remarkably successful periods in our club's history. 

If all else fails, console yourself with the fact every single City player is flawed - because, if they weren't, they wouldn't be playing for Bristol City FC! 

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Try imaging Flint having Kalas alongside him. Then try imaging Flint playing in a team set up this season to be much more compact than the ones he played in.

Try enjoying a player who contributed mightily to one of the most remarkably successful periods in our club's history. 

If all else fails, console yourself with the fact every single City player is flawed - because, if they weren't, they wouldn't be playing for Bristol City FC! 

In my top half dozen City centre halves in nearly 50 years 

Also would feature highly in my all time favourite players in terms of contribution and admiration

If people were meh about him they obviously have a very high expectancy 

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Chris Honor on RB was purring over his performance tonight and 20p was comparing him to the two useless lumps that Huddersfield had out there who`s only purpose appeared to be to team tag Fammy at every opportunity.

We have a class player in AW, let`s hope we can hang on to him.

No reason why we should loose him, as in his first season on a four year deal, unless I am missing something, AND he has stated he is  really enjoying his time in Bristol, so.....  unless some monster bid comes in from a top premier team (as is always the way)  I would not fret at this time about him being off.  

Been some good comments on this thread.   Tonight chatting to the guys around me I mentioned  hypothectcally that if I had to make a choice between AW or good old FLINT,  I would now take Webster over Flinty.    AF will always be a legend at this club but Webster oozes class.  We did some bloody good business getting him from the tractor boys, and we did not have a lot of competition either ?

18 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Chris Honor on RB was purring over his performance tonight and 20p was comparing him to the two useless lumps that Huddersfield had out there who`s only purpose appeared to be to team tag Fammy at every opportunity.

We have a class player in AW, let`s hope we can hang on to him.

And I also heard Chris Honor mention that playing for Huddersfield tonight was an 18 Million signing ????  who was totally anonymous !  Who was that for them ?

18 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

And I also heard Chris Honor mention that playing for Huddersfield tonight was an 18 Million signing ????  who was totally anonymous !  Who was that for them ?

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/huddersfield-break-transfer-record-to-sign-175m-kongolo/j5q96gduaova1dt81c3yvt8ed

Here's your man.

Non-playing sub today

50 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Believe he is.

Have also heard he feels the best he ever has physically here at City. He's on a special training regime that should ensure his previous injuries aren't aggrevated.

I must admit though, I watched him very closely v Rotherham and noticed he made quite a few little errors on the ball, one of which led to a v good Rotherham chance in the first half.

I haven't seen enough of him this season to comment fully but he has been a fault for at least a couple of goals so isn't infallible.  Flint would have been chastised for making similar errors! 

We also were very thorough with Webster's medical weren't we?

Think LJ said something about them going more in depth with it than other signings.

IIRC a chunk of the Webster add ons are based on games played, because of his previous injury issues.

22 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Their two HT subs cost them a combined £22m (according to a post on their forum).

The Premier League really is a different world when it comes to transfer fees.

Both great players Aden’s goals were amazing but I ask you all this if Aden averages say 6-8 goals in championship but we’re conceding 10-15 goals less at the end of the season surely we’re in better stead in the long run. I’d rather my CB we’re keeping clean sheets and conceding less goals overal

40 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Fair play. He’s that good he can shit the bed and still come away with a clean sheet.

After a training session  and while the England players were getting changed, Sven Goran Erikkson checked the showers and noticed a turd in one of the showers.

He went into the changing and asked, " OK boys, who's shit on the floor?

Heskey replied " me boss, but I'm bloody good in the air"

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

All opinions Stevie but I thought Flint was a far better defender than you do , Webster a better defender ? , in some ways not all

I also think he was / became a better passer of a ball than Robbo credits him for

IMHO Overall , Webster is a far better overall player , to have had one replacing the other is excellent

I do agree with this- certainly. Particularly Flint's last 2 seasons here- he was far from a head it/kick it merchant tbh. His passing accuracy was pretty good- perhaps his passing was often fairly simple but technically some of his goals were a lot better than headers or scrambles so it suggested he had it in him for sure. Not to the extent of Webster say but he was not too bad with ball at feet towards the end.

21 minutes ago, downendcity said:

After a training session  and while the England players were getting changed, Sven Goran Erikkson checked the showers and noticed a turd in one of the showers.

He went into the changing and asked, " OK boys, who's shit on the floor?

Heskey replied " me boss, but I'm bloody good in the air"

Do'h

Meant to add a laugh, hit confused and can't change because I ran out of reactions.

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bob, it's not very often myself and you agree, but on this occasion I entirely agree with you 

He is absolute rock for us.

Have been really impressed with Webster so far. Firstly he is there to defend & we have one of the best defensive records in the league I believe & he has been a massive part of that. He is also very good technically on the ball & brings the ball out from defence in such a confident manner ( a trait that is worth a lot of money if you can defend with it! ). He is also 2 footed, to the point where I questioned myself which foot is his strongest ( think it’s his right! ). This allows him to go either way & confidently switch play if needed. Does have the odd sloppy moment ( lapse in concentration ), which if can be improved on, I believe he can go up another level. The comparisons to Flint are interesting. For me, I prefer a Webster type player. Flint was great for us, but personally don’t get to caught up in the warrior persona that some fans love ( think it covers up other weaknesses). We have lost Flints goals, but as someone else mentioned, does the loss of goals scored cost us more than the better defensive record? So if someone was to ask me, who is more likely to go to the next level, I would say Webster. As he has far more attributes imo. But as with all things, has to have the mentality & drive to go with it ( something I would say Flint has in abundance). COYR 

11 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

The definition of a defender is to keep the ball out as you well know . Webster is by far a better defender than flint . I was always one who had a pop at flint , especially against tricky strikers. 

Webby makes the game look so easy whereas flint made it look like a chore .im amazed no one was looking at him before , if they weren’t then they know about him now 

Tall centre halves have never been seen at their best against small, quick strikers.

Look back on how Neville and Riley made defenders look like statues.

And also how ours like Jack Connor and Dave Rodgers used to hate playing against them.

12 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Goals was one( as I stated) of Flints attributes among others that Webster does not possess,.....

Interesting that so far this season Flint has played 26 games and scored 1 goal.

Webster has also played 26 games and scored 1 goal.

:innocent06:

Webster fully deserves a thread praising him but ruined for me by completely unnecessary comparisons with Flint.

Some fans never rated or took to Flint, and despite him proving them wrong time after time are now still determined to put him down by comparing him negatively to a completely different type of player.

Embarrassing from certain posters - Flint was a fantastic player for City, a colossal positive presence and our leader and inspiration for several seasons.

46 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Webster fully deserves a thread praising him but ruined for me by completely unnecessary comparisons with Flint.

Some fans never rated or took to Flint, and despite him proving them wrong time after time are now still determined to put him down by comparing him negatively to a completely different type of player.

Embarrassing from certain posters - Flint was a fantastic player for City, a colossal positive presence and our leader and inspiration for several seasons.

Fair comment, Noggers. It's a question of having a bit of perspective on the issue isn't it? There is no reason to downplay Flint's contribution, I agree: it's unfair and mostly hindsight. I admired hugely his commitment and the way in which he improved himself as a player during his time at AG, because when he first played at our current level he looked anything but a Championship centre-half to me.

However, the point has been well made in the past - even when he was still here - that his towering individual performances sometimes served to obscure the fact that the defences of which he was the central pillar often tended to leak goals. That doesn't of course, mean it was his fault. (Our midfield at the time probably had a certain amount to answer for.) But sound defending is about (among other things) good organisation and the way the individual components of the back line function together. We have lost his aerial dominance and huge presence, but we have clearly also gained something. The way our defence is playing just at the moment surpasses anything I've seen from a City back line for some considerable time, both in terms of being tight and keeping clean sheets, and when it comes to playing out from the back, which of course is where Webster has made such a difference.

As you say, they are different types and comparisons are a bit pointless, but if what people are trying to say is that they prefer the current defence to the one of which Flint was a part, I think I'd have to agree.  

1 hour ago, Redtucks said:

Interesting that so far this season Flint has played 26 games and scored 1 goal.

Webster has also played 26 games and scored 1 goal.

:innocent06:

Odd isn't it? You would think that playing for Pulis, who puts a lot of stress on set pieces, he might score even more.

Archived