IGNORED

Adam Webster

Sparkz 76

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Webster fully deserves a thread praising him but ruined for me by completely unnecessary comparisons with Flint.

Some fans never rated or took to Flint, and despite him proving them wrong time after time are now still determined to put him down by comparing him negatively to a completely different type of player.

Embarrassing from certain posters - Flint was a fantastic player for City, a colossal positive presence and our leader and inspiration for several seasons.

I agree, especially as Webster is not even playing in Flint’s position! (Webster plays LCB; Flint played RCB).

17 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Far better defender than flint . 

:laugh: - I was delighted when Flint left. Unsurprisingly got a lot of abuse on here. Of course we were going to get better defenders, Flint was a donkey who negatively changed the way we played. We can play with a higher line now, we don't do it all the time but at least it allows us the option.

How many CBs are fan favourites because they score goals, not defend? Utter mess.

Absolute idiots exposed again on here, "oooo no we've sold Flint it's the worst day ever" hahaha. So many of them. You know who you are. No need to apologise, you must be bored of being wrong all the time

Lee Johnson is taking us to the world cup and we're gonna win it and everybody is GOING TO SEETHE.

#WC2022

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We were very very lucky to have Flint

Webster is class 

The anti Flint comments on here are simply embarrassing

Yeah we were so lucky to have a CB who cost us consistently with his positioning, it's ok, he scored a few from a corner. Of course you're the one who gets exposed most. Utter ANGER when we sold Flint, we have improved since him leaving defensively. You should probably stop posting. I can't remember the last time you were right. Do you even watch football?

2 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Fair comment, Noggers. It's a question of having a bit of perspective on the issue isn't it? There is no reason to downplay Flint's contribution, I agree: it's unfair and mostly hindsight. I admired hugely his commitment and the way in which he improved himself as a player during his time at AG, because when he first played at our current level he looked anything but a Championship centre-half to me.

However, the point has been well made in the past - even when he was still here - that his towering individual performances sometimes served to obscure the fact that the defences of which he was the central pillar often tended to leak goals. That doesn't of course, mean it was his fault. (Our midfield at the time probably had a certain amount to answer for.) But sound defending is about (among other things) good organisation and the way the individual components of the back line function together. We have lost his aerial dominance and huge presence, but we have clearly also gained something. The way our defence is playing just at the moment surpasses anything I've seen from a City back line for some considerable time, both in terms of being tight and keeping clean sheets, and when it comes to playing out from the back, which of course is where Webster has made such a difference.

As you say, they are different types and comparisons are a bit pointless, but if what people are trying to say is that they prefer the current defence to the one of which Flint was a part, I think I'd have to agree.  

When we lost Bryan and Flint plenty thought we would struggle, wonder how many would swap back now given the chance, I know I wouldn't.

1 hour ago, EmersonsRed said:

Yeah we were so lucky to have a CB who cost us consistently with his positioning, it's ok, he scored a few from a corner. Of course you're the one who gets exposed most. Utter ANGER when we sold Flint, we have improved since him leaving defensively. You should probably stop posting. I can't remember the last time you were right. Do you even watch football?

1 hour ago, EmersonsRed said:

:laugh: - I was delighted when Flint left. Unsurprisingly got a lot of abuse on here. Of course we were going to get better defenders, Flint was a donkey who negatively changed the way we played. We can play with a higher line now, we don't do it all the time but at least it allows us the option.

How many CBs are fan favourites because they score goals, not defend? Utter mess.

Absolute idiots exposed again on here, "oooo no we've sold Flint it's the worst day ever" hahaha. So many of them. You know who you are. No need to apologise, you must be bored of being wrong all the time

2 ridiculous and antagonistic posts in a row.

Perhaps it's you who should post less often?

2 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Ha ha coming from our American Sport and darts expert

Do you know what a football looks like you complete muppet ? 

On the minibus ohhhh offf they go

:laughcont: 

Undoubtedly the biggest yellow belter on here - and that’s some doing

You must get through a lot of lube up there 

19 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d be amazed if he’s not on some Premier Clubs radar

I totally agree. He’s the one player, along with Kelly and possibly Brownhill, that I can see going on and playing regularly at the top level. 

A class apart and comfortably our best signing in the last window. 

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Love the idiots and belters me 

Like fish in a barrel

Woken up,from your snooze have we ?

I hear you two wear the same badge

You ought to get together to share  your football knowledge

I should have added the patronising Bob is back on form..............:fastasleep:

3 hours ago, pillred said:

When we lost Bryan and Flint plenty thought we would struggle, wonder how many would swap back now given the chance, I know I wouldn't.

Bryan was better further forward so it's an interesting one. Stylistically the closest fit would be Kelly and Da Silva left side if going back to Magnússon and Bryan. However the changes meant the style had to change somewhat- and that's fine we lost a lot of key components in one go.

Flint- good defender and no mistake, got goals, passing improved over final 2-3 years for sure, plus he was a leader. Peak age for a CB also, late 20's is when it really kicks in- just the continuity of those 2 would have been worth points but then again can't argue with the goals conceded especially of late. No easy answer probably- both aspects have their pros and cons.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bryan was better further forward so it's an interesting one. Stylistically the closest fit would be Kelly and Da Silva left side if going back to Magnússon and Bryan. However the changes meant the style had to change somewhat- and that's fine we lost a lot of key components in one go.

Flint- good defender and no mistake, got goals, passing improved over final 2-3 years for sure, plus he was a leader. Peak age for a CB also, late 20's is when it really kicks in- just the continuity of those 2 would have been worth points but then again can't argue with the goals conceded especially of late. No easy answer probably- both aspects have their pros and cons.

Shame we have sort of lost our scoring touch just as we seem to have tightened up at the back, typical.

4 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

That’s a bit rich coming from you, Robbo. The words “pot”, “kettle” and “black” spring to mind....

There’s an art to patronising CC as I’m sure you know and sadly for Bob he simply doesn’t have the skills.

21 hours ago, Robbored said:

You know that I think Flint was/is overrated.

I saw him as a typical 1970s “head it and kick it” CB. Good in the air  but weak against tricky strikers. 

No doubt he improved massively under LJ who basically told him to ‘keep it simple’  and he stopped hoofing it and started playing simple passes  to a more skilled team mate. 

Imv Webster is a far better footballing CB who can and does bring the ball out.

What we miss of course is the goals Flint bagged but we don’t miss his defensive capabilities.

How many times did he get exposed in his time at Bristol City? Who really tore him a new one? Very very few if any. That indicates a very skilled and mentally strong defender. Defending is technical and psychological. Aden Flint was superb at positioning and won constant first balls because of his ability to position himself in great lines with the delivery. He did not get exposed for the pace he does not have because he was so effective at reading the game and could use this so he did not have to go 1v1 v players at maximum speed.

Flint was missed its why Kalas was brought in … Leaders are always missed.

Possible smug bastard alert here … I suggested if Magnússon was not to be the ball playing CB Bristol City future a signing could be Webster because he would complement Flint. He has been a tad better than I envisaged.

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

How many times did he get exposed in his time at Bristol City? Who really tore him a new one? Very very few if any. That indicates a very skilled and mentally strong defender. Defending is technical and psychological. Aden Flint was superb at positioning and won constant first balls because of his ability to position himself in great lines with the delivery. He did not get exposed for the pace he does not have because he was so effective at reading the game and could use this so he did not have to go 1v1 v players at maximum speed.

Possible smug bastard alert here … I suggested if Magnússon was not to be the ball playing CB Bristol City future a signing could be Webster because he would complement Flint. He has been a tad better than I envisaged.

Trying to educate a dim troll is admirable

16 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Indeed, didn’t allow himself to be put into positions where he would be exposed...that’s a clever player.  One player I thought always caused him issues was Che Adams, because he could come short, spin in behind and was strong with it.  Flint never got tight to him, and Adams always knew that if he could drag him short he could then spin him in behind.  I can think of individual games where strikers caused Flint issues in passages of play (Hogan and Winnall) But they are few and far between.  Overall he was a very decent CB for us.

29 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I don't think I've seen a player improve year on year as much and over such a long time as Flint did.
I remember some saying we'd wasted £350k on a dud , each and every year he improved , never the quickest or most mobile , but really how often did he get caught out. Even if he did , how many last ditch challenges did he come back with.  

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't think I've seen a player improve year on year as much and over such a long time as Flint did.
I remember some saying we'd wasted £350k on a dud , each and every year he improved , never the quickest or most mobile , but really how often did he get caught out. Even if he did , how many last ditch challenges did he come back with.  

Pack improved on a similar trajectory season by season.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Pack improved on a similar trajectory season by season.

Similar , but Pack has come on notably over the last couple of years. I really think Flint did every year. But agree similar improvement. Not only that , he was slagged off after he'd been here a little while.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Similar , but Pack has come on notably over the last couple of years. I really think Flint did every year. But agree similar improvement. Not only that , he was slagged off after he'd been here a little while.

Yeah, agree.

In that L1 promotion season, Flint was booked once, and no reds. In 57 appearances. And once over his injury in 2013/14, not sure he missed another game until a nasty dose of hadhisheadturnt-anitis at the start of last season. He was always there. He always turnt up. He loved playing here.

More bookings in the Championship as the challenge became steeper but only 5, 5 and 7. More goals to his name than yellows. And just the one red here in 5 seasons, when Cunningham got to him at Preston. 

I notice that Webster has just one yellow in 27 appearances this season.

Flint played here alongside madcap Frankie Fielding (remember his debut?!) and Rich O'Donnell; and Ben Hamer; and a pathetic Adam Matthews; a limited Mark Little; a flaky Bakey Baker; Derrick Williams!; Wes Burns replacing Joe Bryan in one Championship game; Magnússon; Vyner; Elliott Bennett (who he?); an unfit Pisano (before he understood the "lingo," apparently); and a Swedish crock for one half. And others. Like Jens Hegeler! And that Ryan "I don't like it here" Fredericks! When Cotts lost the plot, and we were in disarray. And a coach playing on the front foot, looking to score goals (remember when he had Flint playing up front; against the league leaders! And away at Villa!)

Webster - Maenpaa, Kalas, a fitter Pisano, Kelly. Plus Hunt, a seasoned Championship performer. And for a coach who yesterday said on local radio that the emphasis had to be switched this season to defence, from attack. Adam might not be asked to play up top at home to Leeds. Or away at Villa.

Webster is a better footballer, not much argument there, but playing alongside better players (Maenpaa or Rich O'Donnell? Kalas or Magnússon?! A half fit Pisano, or a match fit Pisano?), in a side prioritising defensive strength. Flint is playing in the meanest defence in the division. 

The heart says Flinty, the head: probably Webster. 

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 20:28, JBFC II said:

Flint lived off of his cult hero status which came off of his goal scoring exploits. 

Flints legendary cult hero status began with advice he took early in his life, it stood him in good stead years later during his time here at Ashton Gate. It is with thanks to the cast of Grange Hill that Aden took their message to heart and repeated it to his great advantage when he Just Said No... No... No!  …

Legend! ….. but Webster is destined to rise to legendary status as a footballing great, what a talent, onwards and upwards! 

11 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

In that L1 promotion season, Flint was booked once, and no reds. In 57 appearances. And once over his injury in 2013/14, not sure he missed another game until a nasty dose of hadhisheadturnt-anitis at the start of last season. He was always there. He always turnt up. He loved playing here.

More bookings in the Championship as the challenge became steeper but only 5, 5 and 7. More goals to his name than yellows. And just the one red here in 5 seasons, when Cunningham got to him at Preston. 

I notice that Webster has just one yellow in 27 appearances this season.

Flint played here alongside madcap Frankie Fielding (remember his debut?!) and Rich O'Donnell; and Ben Hamer; and a pathetic Adam Matthews; a limited Mark Little; a flaky Bakey Baker; Derrick Williams!; Wes Burns replacing Joe Bryan in one Championship game; Magnússon; Vyner; Elliott Bennett (who he?); an unfit Pisano (before he understood the "lingo," apparently); and a Swedish crock for one half. And others. Like Jens Hegeler! And that Ryan "I don't like it here" Fredericks! When Cotts lost the plot, and we were in disarray. And a coach playing on the front foot, looking to score goals (remember when he had Flint playing up front; against the league leaders! And away at Villa!)

Webster - Maenpaa, Kalas, a fitter Pisano, Kelly. Plus Hunt, a seasoned Championship performer. And for a coach who yesterday said on local radio that the emphasis had to be switched this season to defence, from attack. Adam might not be asked to play up top at home to Leeds. Or away at Villa.

Webster is a better footballer, not much argument there, but playing alongside better players (Maenpaa or Rich O'Donnell? Kalas or Magnússon?! A half fit Pisano, or a match fit Pisano?), in a side prioritising defensive strength. Flint is playing in the meanest defence in the division. 

The heart says Flinty, the head: probably Webster. 

Think you are being a bit unfair on some of those players. ROD had a spell a bit longer than Maenpaa where we all thought he was the answer. Adam Matthews loan spell helped us stay up. Bennett was a very good performer at RWB while here and good player for Blackburn. Baker for large stretches next to Flint was the better defender though I rate Flint more for his durability and discipline. Flint seemed to grow after the switch to a 4 next to Baker. 

The others I will give you but Flint had other good players around him. He had limitations for sure but can’t slate him for that. I mean even Boro know it putting him in the middle of a back 5 where he can be the ball winner in the centre of the pitch. Great servant and possibly legend status for his passion, durability and goals. 

Webster is a different player. Better on the ball, quicker and from what I have seen reads the game better. Great business to sell one for 7 and buy better for half(initially). Webster an upgrade but Flint a hero. Some of the posts are embarrassing. You don’t have to be a huge fan to appreciate 5-6 tremendous years in a gamw where players come and go every 2-3

Archived