IGNORED

A round of applause for Chris Honor

Norn Iron

I know there's already a thread dedicated to the following question but Chris deserves a special version!

When asked by Geoff who he would like in the next round, the guest commentator immediately said Bristol Rovers. This was followed by "Are they still in the cup?" Our favourite ex gashead player took the bait and said no. 

What was even better was the fact that during another report Chris' microphone was still on. He was laughing and stated he knew all along!

As Geoff would say, "Top man." Hence Chris' own thread!

2 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I know there's already a thread dedicated to the following question but Chris deserves a special version!

When asked by Geoff who he would like in the next round, the guest commentator immediately said Bristol Rovers. This was followed by "Are they still in the cup?" Our favourite ex gashead player took the bait and said no. 

What was even better was the fact that during another report Chris' microphone was still on. He was laughing and stated he knew all along!

As Geoff would say, "Top man." Hence Chris' own thread!

He really should have inquired how the other team up the road got on .

1 minute ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

I was thinking how good he was as a summariser; been impressed with his inout o games so far this season.

No disrespect to ex-footballers but he doesn't sound like an ex-footballer.

2 minutes ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

I was thinking how good he was as a summariser; been impressed with his input on games so far this season.

He gives an honest assessment rather than a lot of others that are biased.

59 minutes ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

I was thinking how good he was as a summariser; been impressed with his input on games so far this season.

Driving home  tonight I was thinking exactly this.  I knew his Dad quite well in the early 90's and a really decent family.  I first heard him a few weeks back when he was doing an away game  and listening to radio Brizzle and thought then that we seem blessed with two excellent summarisers in  Chris and Gary Owers.    Not much to choose between them, Chris might just shade it.

It made me smile when he tonight commented on the abuse coming into BBC Leeds/Huddersfield  in texts and calls as they were sat behind them.

Now where have we heard this before ?

55 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Nice bloke , proper fan , and season ticket holder 

You can`t beat a summariser (and Gary Owers does this too) who always refers to City as `we` without fail.

His chat afterwards with GT while we were in the car was great fun too - talking about the Twerton  pitch and things like that.

I’ve enjoyed his contributions at away games this season. He’s definitely a supporter. 

Gary Owers is very good. Very knowledgeable but also comes across as passionately City. 

David Cotterill was also good the other day not always diplomatic either which was quite refreshing. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He does, him and Gary Owers just tell it straight.

Big fan of Owers. Really enjoy listening to him as a co-commentator. Knowledgable, informative and professional.

Shame he never made it at Torquay, would be good to get him into our youth coaching. 

Chris is good too, but Owers just edges it in my eyes.

Gary Owers scored against us at AG for Sunderland, I seem to recall and then went on to be a City star of sorts

Anyone else can you think of in this category

Peter Beadle being the only obvious one that springs to mind right now

PS agree that Owers. Honor and Cotterill last week did good jobs on R. Bristol

Adam B was just too close to the set=up to speak his mind at the time, and it showed

His silences and refusal to say anything much critical when we were playing badly and not delivering were at times embarrassing

35 minutes ago, Selred said:

Big fan of Owers. Really enjoy listening to him as a co-commentator. Knowledgable, informative and professional.

Shame he never made it at Torquay, would be good to get him into our youth coaching. 

Chris is good too, but Owers just edges it in my eyes.

I think Owers may have some involvent at City.  Happy to be corrected.

@AppyDAZE - I was still queuing to get in to AG when Owers scored that goal.  Huge roar, assumed we’d gone 1-0 up.  Marvelled at Joe Jordan’s Centre forward performance that night.

13 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

You can`t beat a summariser (and Gary Owers does this too) who always refers to City as `we` without fail.

His chat afterwards with GT while we were in the car was great fun too - talking about the Twerton  pitch and things like that.

Twentyman Talks Back - 05/01/2019 - @bbcrb http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06vd1p7

A great listen. In particular 7mins 40 (Rovers in the Cup?) and 18 mins 20 for theTwerton pitch!

19 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Gary Owers scored against us at AG for Sunderland, I seem to recall and then went on to be a City star of sorts

I can't recall if he scored, but I remember Dave Smith ripping us apart at AG when playing for Gillingham and he signed for us shortly after.

Also JET had a brilliant game against us for Doncaster at some point before we signed him. I think SOD was their manager then.

31 minutes ago, Offside said:

I can't recall if he scored, but I remember Dave Smith ripping us apart at AG when playing for Gillingham and he signed for us shortly after.

Also JET had a brilliant game against us for Doncaster at some point before we signed him. I think SOD was their manager then.

Steve Torpey, I seem to remember was decent against us first

2 hours ago, Offside said:

I remember shouting to the Directors Box, from the East End, that Smudger must be signed. He was!

GT mentioned him to Chris about the wingers we once had.  I always remember one of those matches at Trumpton hoping that Smudger would torment the Rovers defence and that one of them would be booked etc for trying to bring Dave down. I think Alexander was booked within the first ten minutes!   

Smudger may have looked lightweight but he couldn't half shift. He could also put in a decent cross. He had a great tempramrnt too. I'm so glad the board took my advice!

Sorry folks, not wanting to go ‘off topic’ but if you wanted a Target man to hold the ball up and bring others into play Torpey was your man.  I recall him terrorising us before we signed him. What would a fit Torpey be worth in today’s world. Look at that donkey playing for Huddesfield up top who cost mega millions?

Likewise with Smudger , recall when he ripped us to bits playing for the Gills and so impressed when we signed him the following season.   Bad injury and never the same again. 

Its good to hear the summarisers tell us what they see through the eyes of professionals and often slip into ‘all our yesterdays’. It makes local radio still a bloody good medium. 

23 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Don't forget Wade Elliott. Scored the goal to send us down then came in a year later to help us from getting relegated again

On 06/01/2019 at 00:20, AppyDAZE said:

PS agree that Owers. Honor and Cotterill last week did good jobs on R. Bristol

Adam B was just too close to the set=up to speak his mind at the time, and it showed

His silences and refusal to say anything much critical when we were playing badly and not delivering were at times embarrassing

It was ridiculous that a non-football club employee was used as a summariser by Radio Bristol.  Summarisers are supposed to be experts and be able to speak their minds freely. He fitted neither category..

5 hours ago, Offside said:

Evander Sno had a brilliant pre-season friendly game for Ajax IIRC against us, and GJ signed him on a 1 year loan.

7 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Ade Akinbiyi was another who rioped us apart before signing for us

True and was good for us, and remember the wailing and gnashing of teeth when we sold him the Leicester. Never reproduced his form for them and earned the nick name  '******* bad buy' from the  the Foxes fans

Archived