IGNORED

Bailey Wright

Lanterne Rouge

I can`t see a thread on Bailey up to now but I thought he was superb tonight, particularly in the first half. I lost count of the amount of potentially dangerous balls he got away from our box.

It was like he`d never been away - to play like he did tonight after best part of nine months out deserves immense credit. The second half also proved that we can comfortably play three at the back if we want.

Welcome back Bailey, we`ve missed you.

True, but is he better than the Kalas and Webster at CB?

A nice "problem" for Lee, but I only see him edging into the team on a permanent basis at right back (again, debatable) or if Kalas gets recalled to be sold by Chelsea.

As I say, all nice problems to have in the big scheme of things

Well done Bailey, you've come back strong

:clapping:

10 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

True, but is he better than the Kalas and Webster at CB?

A nice "problem" for Lee, but I only see him edging into the team on a permanent basis at right back (again, debatable) or if Kalas gets recalled to be sold by Chelsea.

As I say, all nice problems to have in the big scheme of things

Well done Bailey, you've come back strong

:clapping:

Agree can't see him edging out Webster and Kalas but great option for 3 CB's. Looked ok when we switched to the 3 tonight. 

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Did think so otherwise would have mentioned it on Websters thread, but wasn't 100% sure.

He did really well to get to that, and had a good game overall.

The lob wasn't moving that fast, but Bailey had to get a move on and not much room for error. Thankfully he executed the clearance perfectly!

I think we will be playing them again next season, unless we do a "Fulham"! ?

2 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

The lob wasn't moving that fast, but Bailey had to get a move on and not much room for error. Thankfully he executed the clearance perfectly!

I think we will be playing them again next season, unless we do a "Fulham"! ?

Amazingly, considering how up and down the forum has been, my view on us now is exactly the same as when the season started.

Outside contenders for a playoff push, but most likely to finish 9th-12th.

Fingers crossed we can "do a Fulham".

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I can`t see a thread on Bailey up to now but I thought he was superb tonight, particularly in the first half. I lost count of the amount of potentially dangerous balls he got away from our box.

It was like he`d never been away - to play like he did tonight after best part of nine months out deserves immense credit. The second half also proved that we can comfortably play three at the back if we want.

Welcome back Bailey, we`ve missed you.

Like you, I'm pleased Bailey's back, but I thought his decision making was poor tonight.  I lost count of the number of times he ignored the obvious safe ball and knocked it back into a danger area.  He stitched team mates up several times in this respect, but fortunately got away with it.

He is a very good man-marker.  Not blessed with page, but I’ve rarely seen anyone mark at tight as Bailey.  He puts a lot of pressure on his opponent.  Wasn’t at the game today and only caught 15-20 on a stream, but we now have 3 very decent CBs.  Baker now 4th choice...even 5th with Kelly.  Hard to believe how he’s slipped down the pecking order since his red card roughly a year ago.

Pleased for Bailey, a leader too.

Every successful side/team I have ever seen in all my years down the gate has come about from solid foundations and built upwards with a strong spine.  BW is for sure more than decent.

I have been critical and remain so that while our foundations are strong we are not creating much at home, and the top end has to be improved to make us realistic challengers.  This season is to soon but if the bed rock of our back line  can be preserved and we can sort it out so that we pose more of a threat in the final third when playing at home then I would seriously rate us as contenders .  all the defenders at the club do give us a bright future. 

11 hours ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Nice to see him back. Never really understood those that booed him last year (I forget who we were playing) - ridiculous. The same goes for those that cheered Fams substitution a couple of months back and now want to suck him off 

Always get the odd big mouth on a forum. :whistle2:

He's a centre back!

He was doing us a job last season at right back , which he never is.  He sacrificed himself whilst injured to play, which in turn cost him his place in the World Cup squad.  Nice to see him back playing and is clearly a well liked member of the squad.

13 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

The problem with Bailey is when he has the ball at his feet, particularly the left one. Otherwise he is pretty solid. Kalas and Webster for me.

I feel we see the best of Bailey when he plays right sided centre back. He is quality in that position in my opinion. To be fair to him, for a lot of his time here he has not played in his best position - he’s either played left side (because Flint always played on the right), or right back, and often whilst carrying an injury. He is great competition/cover for Kalas now he is fit again. We now have 4 good championship CBs, plus Kelly on his way up.

The bright spot for me, as I said in my OP, is that we can comfortably switch to three at the back now if the game dictates it. When TK came on yesterday and we did that we just settled into it seamlessly. Another bonus is doing this lets Josh get much further forward as he proved to good effect last night.

15 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

We clearly didn't see the real Bailey last season, obvs playing out of position but now, in retrospect, I wonder how long he was playing when not fully fit.

I think the defensive record shows just how good our back 5 is this season.

Several of LJs interviews have mentioned that last season Bailey played through injuries and almost certainly cost him his place in the Australian team for the World Cup.  A couple of mouth in heart moments tonight, caused in part  by the insistence of some of our team to pass to him when he is clearly being hassled by the opposition , however 2 excellent clearances of the line tonight and last week.

Archived