IGNORED

Lee Johnson Praise Thread

reddogkev

Got to tip my hat to the man, overseeing a fine run of results of now, and getting City to the 4th round of the FA cup, which considering our dreadful record, feels like a minor miracle!

Generally speaking, doing a good job at City.  Long may it continue.

Well done, Lee.

Just so you know, I'm going to revive this thread from time to time, see how many pages of praise it can generate before the season is out!  Hopefully we won't dip into any more worrying runs of form (please God) and we can stay positive!

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Got to tip my hat to the man, overseeing a fine run of results of now, and getting City to the 4th round of the FA cup, which considering our dreadful record, feels like a minor miracle!

Well done, Lee.

Just so you know, I'm going to revive this thread from time to time, see how many pages of praise it can generate before the season is out!  Hopefully we won't dip into any more worrying runs of form (please God) and we can stay positive!

Bit risky innit???

I'd get your tin hat on!

:innocent06:

11 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Good results... boring football....

"Awaits his next run of 4 or 5 defeats"

Let's see where we are in May before we sing his praises. 

Exactly this....... some big games to come especially away from home and let's see the boards ambition in January if we're serious about a push to finish higher or even play offs. He's doing a good job with what he's got at his disposal. Yes at times it's not been great but we're winning and come May we will all see what is what and hopefully what is needed to push on. Anyone see that Eves for Gillingham yesterday?? Looked a handful and very decent in the air and holding up play something we desperately need to get others in the game more.  

27 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

No, let's not wait, what's the point?  At this moment in time, he is doing a damn fine job and we haven't lost in 9 games.

There are many other positives, but I don't need to name them all.

No need to be miserable.

7 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Too many egotistical posters to ever admit that they may have been wrong.  What you tend to find on this forum that it's ok to argue an "opinion", but when you counter their "opinion" with, what is now fact, you're somehow causing trouble. 

Anyway, whatever, but it's fantastic to see the team doing well and heading towards the playoffs.  People won't praise LJ for it though as they've gone too far down the LJ haters road to be seen to do a U turn. 

We all know who those posters are. Just goes to show that the posters that shout the loudest and are most active, aren't always the most knowledgeable.

I honestly don't think there are many LJ haters to be honest, just a few, perhaps no more than 4 or 5.  It's just that they are very frequent and vocal with their posts.

They do go quiet during the good times.

Best opening posts to a thread I have ever read on this forum APART FROM THAT FROM ALAN DICKS! 

Why can't you accept the positives? 

Why wait until May to admit Lj and BCFC are in a very, very good place right now and why wait until May when you would never use that as a time line to measure a poor run

'Happy Cup Run' and 'Happy New Year' to everyone on the forum who isn't a damp squib. 

The way is up, new ground, new top notch training facilities, upgraded academy, and players being produced in Bristol now attracting bids in the mega dosh zone. Have no idea as to when we will be promoted, but under the current ownership and management i know we will.

and absolutely no problem in shoving it down the agenda boys throats after the bile we have seen on here this season, you know who you are"......

17 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Too many egotistical posters to ever admit that they may have been wrong.  What you tend to find on this forum that it's ok to argue an "opinion", but when you counter their "opinion" with, what is now fact, you're somehow causing trouble. 

May have been wrong, is that not the salient point? Then you bring in ‘fact’ in the next sentence. 

The only ‘fact’ is LJ is incredibly inconsistent. The transfer policy, team selection, results, even in the media and his approach to praise/criticism of players. 

I’d say there are too many who are too polar on LJ and too few ‘level headed’. There are those who only want to dig their heads in and say he is the best and those who I do agree are too keen on the negatives. 

For me the ‘fact’ is he’s done okay. If you were doing an annual appraisal of him today it would be just easy to fill the ‘good’ column as it would be to fill the ‘room for improvements’ Column. A very easy 3 out of 5. 

9 games seems like a long time, in reality it’s, if you take the league, 24 points out of 138 available over the season. You then appreciate it is not a large sample. Nonetheless it’s a very good run. 

7 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

to be honest, even if we won the bloody FA cup he still wouldn't get the appropriate recognition from some.

We would’ve won it with boring football though, it would clearly be better for the club and entertainment value if we played open expansive football and lost 1-nil at home to Macclesfield in the third round! 

1 minute ago, Badger08 said:

The results of late have been decent, but that for some of us has come as a relief more than excitement . Playing so poorly and losing 4 on the spin , I doubt many could see the that run ending quickly.  The run since has been game after game of pragmatic football, and that's fine away from home, the opposition has to come out and we've managed to win games. You kind of expect that more tentative football away, so great, happy days. You play that style at home and it leads to boring games and dissatisfied fanbase. 
We are 6th in the Championship table on away games, 21st on home games. Given that a massive majority watch the team at home, it's no wonder many are not happy with what they've been watching.
While I accept that something was needed to turn results around, and you can put up with that for a while, LJ has to deliver some entertainment to try and get fans onside.

Anyway, whatever, but it's fantastic to see the team doing well and heading towards the playoffs.  People won't praise LJ for it though as they've gone too far down the LJ haters road to be seen to do a U turn. 

There are probably some LJ "haters" on here, but not many. Most people want City to win, to see entertaining football and to enjoy their visit to the Gate.
It's not easy to supply all of that but , the team could be sent out with more intent to begin with. We've just played 2 teams in horrendous form and went out to not concede , we pretty much set up Vs Brentford and Rotherham with one up front and 5 in MF, while I understand a solid defence is essential, to even think about Playoff's we need to try and win games at home. Let teams worry about us, not always be worried about losing first.

We all know who those posters are. Just goes to show that the posters that shout the loudest and are most active, aren't always the most knowledgeable.

Heres' a question, this last statement seems to say. If you're not cheering on LJ,  you are less knowledgeable that the people that do, is that really what you think ?

Think he's doing well within the remit of the Club.

When people talk about boring football...it's a reflection of the league.

Play too open and expansive and however entertaining it leads to defeats.

This season he's built a fantastic defence and has been less expressive and expansive when going forward.

We are being more regimented in sticking to positions on the field.

We are grinding out results but in a less entertaining fashion...even LJ has alluded to this, whilst still blooding academy players and giving them a pathway.

At no time in the history of the club have we taken so much interest in our academy and youth, and which players are being loaned out...and 'fast tracked'.

You now have to follow the Club and not just the first team to see our progress.

It's still all work in progress...watching the development happen before our eyes.

I like it.

It's not bullet proof but imo the best way forward for stability at this level.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Well done, Lee.

Yep. Fantastic run and full credit to him. At times the football has been pretty dire....however I have always stated it's a results business for me, and the performances come second 

Great to see we are grinding these results out. Long may it continue 

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

I was actually thinking about this and the thread last week where someone sparingly likened the football to what Warnock would supply. I think you are right, it is too early, but it will only be accepted as valid criticism when we have won the Champions League......  for the 2nd time........ in consecutive seasons........... after retaining the league title .............and being double winners whilst playing our U21s in all the cup games up to and including the final. Then, just maybe......

46 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

This is the one. Great post! Exactly how I feel about this forum. Have noticed the negativity has improved thankgod. Just a few left that still feel the hate for Lee. We are a dangerous football club when the fans are onside and make Ashton Gate a fortress again. COYR's!! 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Well done, Lee.

"happy clapper" 

Before a ball was kicked this year I was expecting us to be a solid midtable team this season.

By solid I meant no big relegation drama, no real threat to the playoff picture, and a relatively balanced record in terms of wins, draws, losses, goals for and against.

As it stands, that is pretty much where we are, and expect we’ll have a few poor losses, nice wins and frustrating/decent draws.

It might not be exciting, and the quality of football might be at times poor/uninspiring, but it’s is the sort of true consolidation we’re struggled with at this level.

With the ground up and running, and the ‘pipeline’ actually seeming to be real (yes, most of the young players are currently out on loan, but we’ve undoubtedly got some promising youngsters on the books/coming through) this might not be a bad thing.

No argument that it isn’t always going to be exciting, but places us in a decent position to aim for sustainable success moving forwards.

Not saying LJ is the messiah, or that he’s a very naughty boy, but he’s bought into the club’s intentioned direction, and being we’ve gone from a side actively fighting relegation most of the season to one steady in midtable and flirting with the playoffs, I can’t hate on him too much.

4 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

This is the one. Great post! Exactly how I feel about this forum. Have noticed the negativity has improved thankgod. Just a few left that still feel the hate for Lee. We are a dangerous football club when the fans are onside and make Ashton Gate a fortress again. COYR's!! 

This polarisation of views is getting really boring now. Some bad results and the so called LJ ‘haters’ are swarming over the forum whereas, with some good results, it’s the turn of the imo even more irritating LJ ‘lovers’ to start crowing about how great and underrated and unappreciated he is!

The way I see it, we are right in the middle of a typical run of LJ results. In fact it couldn’t be more typical, as we’ve followed a run of four straight defeats with a run of nine unbeaten and who’s to say the run of defeats don’t repeat in the very near future. The only consistant thing under LJ is our inconsistancy and that shows no sign of changing. 

The childish point scoring from both sides is even more boring than the football we’re being served up at the moment, but is unfortunately far more predictable than our next result!

I was concerned this was the danger of appointing a HC who had been such a ‘marmite’ player and this fear has sadly been borne out. My other concern is that this club is never going to be unified under his stewardship, but I really hope I’m wrong on that one.  There will always be differences of opinions, but this really feels pretty distructive at present.

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

Presumably when we next lose you will be saying "let's see where we are in May before berating him"

Otherwise that is a massive double standard and very hypocritical.

The only time that the league table doesn't lie is when the last game has been played.Thankfully and due to our extremely impressive away form we sit very comfortably mid table. LJ has done a good job achieving consolidation in what is a very tough and competitive division. Long may it continue and if we could get our home form up and running who knows where we could finish up. The plaudits currently are warranted but as we are just past the halfway stage let's hope it carries on being that way and doesn't take a downward turn as nobody is safe in this division at this stage of the season.

19 minutes ago, samo II said:

Before a ball was kicked this year I was expecting us to be a solid midtable team this season.

By solid I meant no big relegation drama, no real threat to the playoff picture, and a relatively balanced record in terms of wins, draws, losses, goals for and against.

As it stands, that is pretty much where we are, and expect we’ll have a few poor losses, nice wins and frustrating/decent draws.

It might not be exciting, and the quality of football might be at times poor/uninspiring, but it’s is the sort of true consolidation we’re struggled with at this level.

With the ground up and running, and the ‘pipeline’ actually seeming to be real (yes, most of the young players are currently out on loan, but we’ve undoubtedly got some promising youngsters on the books/coming through) this might not be a bad thing.

No argument that it isn’t always going to be exciting, but places us in a decent position to aim for sustainable success moving forwards.

Not saying LJ is the messiah, or that he’s a very naughty boy, but he’s bought into the club’s intentioned direction, and being we’ve gone from a side actively fighting relegation most of the season to one steady in midtable and flirting with the playoffs, I can’t hate on him too much.

Very good post

IF we beat Bolton we won’t be far away from the same points total that we were on at the same stage last year, which to me seems incredible considering the superb run we had up to Christmas 2017 and the fact we’d only lost 4 games at that point.

Whilst the football may not be the best to watch at times it’s a results business and to be unbeaten in the last 9 games against the opposition we’ve had in those games, I say well done to LJ and the players. IF we beat Bolton then for me it will start to feel like a second chance after last season when we faded dramatically after Christmas. A couple of clever signings in the next month could be vital but there’s also no doubt that we brought in some good players in the summer and again the club deserve credit for that.

First priority of securing enough points for survival is very close, after that who knows?

Keep it up City.

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

Utter nonsense, let’s wait until the end of the season before blowing smoke up his arse.

The only fact that we actually know is LJ has won nothing as a manager, his record everywhere is a huge roller coaster ride of long unbeaten streaks and longer winless streaks.

This season so far looks more consistent (albeit the football since the start of 2018 has been poor) , but with such a long way to go to the end of the season let’s wait because roller coasters descend far quicker than they crawl towards the summit and lets wait to see what gems we sign this window and save the praise for a game by game basis.

Well done LJ and the boys for the recent run of great results and the great cup win yesterday, long MAY it contnue.

1 hour ago, Allwaysred said:

Exactly this....... some big games to come especially away from home and let's see the boards ambition in January if we're serious about a push to finish higher or even play offs. He's doing a good job with what he's got at his disposal. Yes at times it's not been great but we're winning and come May we will all see what is what and hopefully what is needed to push on. Anyone see that Eves for Gillingham yesterday?? Looked a handful and very decent in the air and holding up play something we desperately need to get others in the game more.  

Seen a bit of him over the years.  Ex-Gas loanee a few years ago too.

I’m surprised his goals record isn’t a bit better.  He can be a handful, and is a willing runner.  If we wanted a player to play up top on his own and run the channels unselfishly, he would fit that idea.  Whether he has the quality at this level I don’t know.

48 minutes ago, samo II said:

You’ve been quiet on here!

Good post. Lots to agree with.  He’s doing a good (decent) job overall.  The playing side has kicked in, he’s found a style / formation / system that works.  He’s done that off the back of re-balancing the overspend of last season, so now has a squad that fits the financial model.  That model still requires him to sell his best players to balance the books each season.  He knows that.  It’s probably a case of every £1m sold, you can re-invest £500k.  As long as people remember that, great.  You can say “look at how well he’s doing having lost his 3 players’, if you turn the clock back and at least challenge your thoughts retrospectively and ask “should we therefore have done better last season with the resources he had”.

I would say he’s now reached that balance point with his squad.  And it is now up to him to push the team forward.  He’s built a good foundation off of the back of 8/9 games unbeaten, with every opportunity to stretch that next Saturday.

I’m not getting carried away....I didn’t last Xmas either.

Hes got a nice upward trend.  I’ve always wanted him to succeed, althought I thought his time was up v Preston in 16/17.

Success for me isn’t about getting to the play-offs, it’s about continuing this trend, continuing to have to deal with the financial constraints that 80% of teams in this division have.  Just as importantly is not making knee-jerk changes to system or personnel on whims.  That’s what i’ve enjoyed in the last month or so.  The football I think is getting better through familiarity.  It’s not Newcastle under Keegan, but I don’t want it to be either

One of the things I hate most about modern football is the plethora of 'Fast Show Dave' supporters (look him up) for whom everything must be either brilliant or crap, when in reality most of us spend our lives occupying the reality of the middle ground.

I'm pretty much indifferent as to WeeLee's abilities (wouldn't have appointed him but wouldn't now get rid,) and the fact we've strung together a decent set of results is great for all and long may it continue. But let's keep things in context. We've achieved results with some pretty indifferent performances and beating a side at home who are only a handful of places above us in the ladder, a side we'll be playing next year and one who dropped 8 first team starters - it's good, but it's not earth-shattering giant-killing of yore and says as much about the opposition and standing of the FA Cup as it does about City.

Yesterday, Wincanton Races was sure to provide superior sporting entertainment than that on offer at AG (so that's where we went,) and driving back to London the Radio FiveLive reports appeared fully to justify our decision  ("I thought Huddersfield last weekend was the worst footballing performance I'd ever seen but this first half has probably been equally as poor, if not worse...) Things were reported to pick up second half and highlights showed Brownhill's goal was expertly created, but the hyperbole of the analyzing clowns on MOTD, two Muppets who clearly have never seen us play of late, would lead the neutral to believe we're potential world beaters when we're nothing of the sort.

You'd have thought ex-pros more than anybody would understand one can play well and lose, just as one can play poorly and win. The table never lies? Of course it can else the bookies would be taken to the cleaners each season.

So well done WeeLee and the squad for sorting the results side of things, you'll need to keep it going and you'll also need to add some invention and sparkle such that fans actually think a trip to AG is an attractive and entertaining proposition. Only then will the hype be justified.

Archived