IGNORED

Lee Johnson Praise Thread

reddogkev

17 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Firstly, well done to Lee, got a nice little unbeaten run going, getting the results so credit where it is due

One thing I have asked before but never seem to get a decent explanation for, is this...

If we are one of the Championship's relative minnows and Lee has us punching above our weight etc etc , he's lost his best players (something talked about a hell of a lot)

Bristol City have no right etc

and all of this could well be true... then WHY this

We are never in any serious danger of losing him if a vacancy comes up.

Shouldn't there be a queue going round the block for a guy like this?

Again, he deserves the praise as the OP states right now, but surely little old Bristol City should be constantly concerned that he could be picked off by one of the bigger players in the Championship. And let's face it, we never are.

Only asking why people think this is.

Note: Stoke City could well need a manager soon

Well 10/10 for putting a new spin in your LJ out agenda. 

Personally I would think he is probably a bit too loyal for these hire fire Chairman. Why go after him when you can have a Bruce or a Rowlett?  

8 minutes ago, NickJ said:

The current squad cost almost £30 million, that's more than around two thirds of the other squads in the division, so to say he's operating under financial limitations is incorrect.

I'd say he's doing an average job, but I do think the test will come when the spending stops, which I'd guess it probably has.

My point......is that LJ lost the three first teamers and only a percentage of the revenue was available for reinvesting and despite those fiscal restrictions he’s managed to strengthen the defence and consequently City have one of the best defensive records in the Championship.

To me that says he’s doing a better job than ‘average’.

If/when City sign another striker this window and he starts to score goals then LJs stock will have been raised even further.

18 minutes ago, NickJ said:

The current squad cost almost £30 million, that's more than around two thirds of the other squads in the division, so to say he's operating under financial limitations is incorrect.

I'd say he's doing an average job, but I do think the test will come when the spending stops, which I'd guess it probably has. 

And if he is, it make the Eisa signing look even more ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Well 10/10 for putting a new spin in your LJ out agenda. 

Personally I would think he is probably a bit too loyal for these hire fire Chairman. Why go after him when you can have a Bruce or a Rowlett?  

I doubt he is more loyal than any other manager/coach, and I am pretty sure that if anyone of substance expressed an interest in him, then we would have heard about it, and he would have given it very very serious consideration and who could blame him.

I think Appy Daze appears to have a couple of valid points, which whilst at odds with a praise thread, seem nevertheless to be based upon fact. His first paragraph didn't appear anti LJ at all, and more about the club's ambitions - or challenging the notion that we are in fact minnows in this league. Either way, it didn't smack of "LJ out" so perhaps you are blinded by love and any thread from someone who has been less than enamoured previously isn't taken at face value?

28 minutes ago, glynriley said:

And if he is, it make the Eisa signing look even more ridiculous.

In what way? Surely Mo was a player for the future, much like Eliasson, Walsh, etc? Nic took a season to get going, worth the wait now.

It wasn't a massive fee in today's terms and should he come good over the next two seasons, that will be paid back and then some. 

He scored 23 goals for Cheltenham - he is hardly Ali Dia.

(Not saying it's you) but I've seen the rumour on here about it being a favour to GJ - do people honestly believe all the scouts, analysts and Ashton all turned a blind eye and Ashton did the deal anyway, just so GJ did well out it? No chance.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My point......is that LJ lost the three first teamers and only a percentage of the revenue was available for reinvesting and despite those fiscal restrictions he’s managed to strengthen the defence and consequently City have one of the best defensive records in the Championship.

To me that says he’s doing a better job than ‘average’.

If/when City sign another striker this window and he starts to score goals then LJs stock will have been raised even further.

But the fact remains that LJ has been able to spend around £30 million on his current squad, more than around two thirds of other Championship squads, plus of course the few which remain from the previous manager.

Plus of course there have been wasted transfer fees on several players no longer with us that have been sold at a loss.

LJ spent money on strikers last summer and the summer before that - Fammy, Weiman, Eisa - none of whom are scoring enough goals. Maybe that shows he's good at signing defenders, less so strikers.

Not good, not bad, just average.

19 minutes ago, NickJ said:

But the fact remains that LJ has been able to spend around £30 million on his current squad, more than around two thirds of other Championship squads, plus of course the few which remain from the previous manager.

Plus of course there have been wasted transfer fees on several players no longer with us that have been sold at a loss.

LJ spent money on strikers last summer and the summer before that - Fammy, Weiman, Eisa - none of whom are scoring enough goals. Maybe that shows he's good at signing defenders, less so strikers.

Not good, not bad, just average.

Incorrect:

As of May 2018: we were 13th. Around half, not two thirds.

1 ASTON VILLA - £67.8m

2 HULL CITY - £62.7m

2= MIDDLESBROUGH - £62.7m

4= WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS - £41.1m

4= DERBY COUNTY - £41.1m

6 SUNDERLAND - £40.6m

7 FULHAM - £37.4m

8 NORWICH CITY - £36.8m

9 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - £35.5M

10 LEEDS UNITED - £29.9m

11 QUEENS PARK RANGERS - £26.1m

12 READING - £23m

13 BRISTOL CITY - £19.5m

14 BIRMINGHAM CITY - £19.2m

15 CARDIFF CITY - £18.6m

16 BRENTFORD - £16.4m

17 NOTTINGHAM FOREST - £7m

18 BARNSLEY - £6m

19 SHEFFIELD UNITED - £5.9m

20 IPSWICH TOWN - £4.2m

21 BOLTON WANDERERS - £2.5m

22 PRESTON NORTH END - £2.1m

23 MILLWALL - £800,000

24 BURTON ALBION - £500,000

A further £9.6m this summer, brings our squad cost to £29m.

That would still only place us 11th in this list. Still less than 2/3's that you claim.

This season's list all three of the relegated teams would be above us, as most likely Forest and QPR, so I'd imagine the place we'd be on this seasons list is again around 12th, 13th most expensive squad. So around half.

5 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Incorrect:

1 ASTON VILLA - £67.8m

2 HULL CITY - £62.7m

4= DERBY COUNTY - £41.1m

6 SUNDERLAND - £40.6m

7 FULHAM - £37.4m

8 NORWICH CITY - £36.8m

10 LEEDS UNITED - £29.9m

12 READING - £23m

13 BRISTOL CITY - £19.5m

15 CARDIFF CITY - £18.6m

16 BRENTFORD - £16.4m

18 BARNSLEY - £6m

20 IPSWICH TOWN - £4.2m

23 MILLWALL - £800,000

That would still only place us 11th in this list. Still less than 2/3's that you claim.

This season's list all three of the relegated teams would be above us, as most likely Forest and QPR, so I'd imagine the place we'd be on this seasons list is again around 12th, 13th most expensive squad. So around half.

On the basis of that table Chris Wilder pisses all over every manager in this league.

5 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Incorrect:

1 ASTON VILLA - £67.8m

2 HULL CITY - £62.7m

4= DERBY COUNTY - £41.1m

6 SUNDERLAND - £40.6m

7 FULHAM - £37.4m

8 NORWICH CITY - £36.8m

10 LEEDS UNITED - £29.9m

12 READING - £23m

13 BRISTOL CITY - £19.5m

15 CARDIFF CITY - £18.6m

16 BRENTFORD - £16.4m

18 BARNSLEY - £6m

20 IPSWICH TOWN - £4.2m

23 MILLWALL - £800,000

Wouldn't we also need to subtract those players who left after signing for a fee if they aren't already included- Magnússon, maybe Engvall, Flint's fee was small but..(wouldn't include Reid and Bryan due to academy).

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wouldn't we also need to subtract those players who left after signing for a fee if they aren't already included- Magnússon, maybe Engvall, Flint's fee was small but..(wouldn't include Reid and Bryan due to academy).

You would have to make that adjustment to every club not just us. That would put Brentford near the bottom of the table I would guess?

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on G-S.

It’s not uncommon for a team who are struggling to go back to basics before trying to re-perform.

How many times do we hear a manager say that need to keep a clean sheet, get a couple of 0-0s and then the results will come.

Its not dissimilar to what LJ has done in some respects, we’ve become harder to beat, and within that, players confidence increases and you start winning games late on.

It’s an interesting issue. I totally understand what Johnson is doing in terms of making us harder to beat and for him, personally, to lose the reputation of being a streaky Manager.

Solid, dogged or boring football, call it what you like, can only ever be a short term fix as long term you have to get bums  on seats and if you lose games playing that way supporters patience wears thin and ultimately it’s your money and if you don’t feel you are getting any value from paying £33 on the day you’ll stop coming.

Now the rot has been stopped and we’ve carried on the unbeaten run Johnson’s next challenge is to find a way of winning (or at least avoiding those losing runs) and entertaining to a higher degree than recent performances.

19 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Incorrect:

1 ASTON VILLA - £67.8m

2 HULL CITY - £62.7m

4= DERBY COUNTY - £41.1m

6 SUNDERLAND - £40.6m

7 FULHAM - £37.4m

8 NORWICH CITY - £36.8m

10 LEEDS UNITED - £29.9m

12 READING - £23m

13 BRISTOL CITY - £19.5m

15 CARDIFF CITY - £18.6m

16 BRENTFORD - £16.4m

18 BARNSLEY - £6m

20 IPSWICH TOWN - £4.2m

23 MILLWALL - £800,000

What you haven't taken into account is that some of the teams "above" us in May 2018 subsequently lost players which had cost fees, and did not spend as much (Reading, Sheffield Wednesday), so their current squad values will have fallen. 

I don't think QPR spent any money after May 2018, so their squad cannot be more costly than £26m.

Sunderland were above us in your list but no longer in our division - I doubt any of the promoted clubs have spent more.

Two thirds may be too many, but I'd say definitely more than half.

The essential point is that the "financial limitations" as alleged by RR is factually incorrect when measured against at least half of our competitors.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I have calculated almost £30 million on the basis of only players still with us, and I think the table you have replied to has done the same, albeit the table is at May 2018 and therefore does not include sales by other clubs after that date.

22 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Firstly, well done to Lee, got a nice little unbeaten run going, getting the results so credit where it is due

One thing I have asked before but never seem to get a decent explanation for, is this...

If we are one of the Championship's relative minnows and Lee has us punching above our weight etc etc , he's lost his best players (something talked about a hell of a lot)

Bristol City have no right etc

and all of this could well be true... then WHY this

We are never in any serious danger of losing him if a vacancy comes up.

Shouldn't there be a queue going round the block for a guy like this?

Again, he deserves the praise as the OP states right now, but surely little old Bristol City should be constantly concerned that he could be picked off by one of the bigger players in the Championship. And let's face it, we never are.

Only asking why people think this is.

Note: Stoke City could well need a manager soon

4 hours ago, Loon plage said:

I doubt he is more loyal than any other manager/coach, and I am pretty sure that if anyone of substance expressed an interest in him, then we would have heard about it, and he would have given it very very serious consideration and who could blame him.

I think Appy Daze appears to have a couple of valid points, which whilst at odds with a praise thread, seem nevertheless to be based upon fact. His first paragraph didn't appear anti LJ at all, and more about the club's ambitions - or challenging the notion that we are in fact minnows in this league. Either way, it didn't smack of "LJ out" so perhaps you are blinded by love and any thread from someone who has been less than enamoured previously isn't taken at face value?

A club like Villa?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37573635

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Incorrect:

1 ASTON VILLA - £67.8m

2 HULL CITY - £62.7m

4= DERBY COUNTY - £41.1m

6 SUNDERLAND - £40.6m

7 FULHAM - £37.4m

8 NORWICH CITY - £36.8m

10 LEEDS UNITED - £29.9m

12 READING - £23m

13 BRISTOL CITY - £19.5m

15 CARDIFF CITY - £18.6m

16 BRENTFORD - £16.4m

18 BARNSLEY - £6m

20 IPSWICH TOWN - £4.2m

23 MILLWALL - £800,000

Out of interest, what is your source for these figures? Cheers...

25 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Johnson is understood to be one of 10 names on an initial potential target list put together by Villa following Roberto di Matteo's departure.

Christ, I was probably on that list. I'm not at all sure he'd have gotten it, if interested. But you never know in football I suppose

No doubt about it it we have gained more points and are higher up the table than I expected us to be when the season started. A big well done for that. 

Need to recognise though that IMHO points gained have exceeded performances and around this time last season we were (I think) still 2nd or 3rd. Many were praising LJ and were voicing concern that a bigger job might beckon. Then came the mother of all slumps in form and results. I’m still in the camp that given the team , coach and players we currently have we a punching above our weight and a spell where points gained does not exceed performance levels is lurking just around the corner and another renowned LJ winless/ losing streak occurs. 

46 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Mid-table income, mid-table attendances, mid-table players (?).

The essence of mid-table ?

The flipside of that though is that Stoke and Aston Villa are well above that, Sheffield United are mid-table at best if not lower and yet...Nottingham Forest were but now probably are higher up and are similar to us. Even Leeds though undoubtedly having spent more this year, aren't the most expensive budget or squad yet are top.

Think we're doing okay, mid-table with an outside chance of a playoff push.

Archived