IGNORED

Pressing like last season

Aipearcey

21 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I think we have got better at pressing the space rather than pressing the player. 

exactly that imo....cutting out the pass and blocking the space instead of the man.

Interesting to see Ipswich up there. Think I read last year, that Cole Skuse has the most interceptions of any player in the world. Quiet a stat for him.

2 hours ago, Aipearcey said:

Many people, myself included have been saying that we don’t play our high pressing football last season but just seen these stats that suggest otherwise. Are we now just more efficient rather than having to make 30 yard runs to close players down?

084C5B5B-6ED9-4E6A-A8F3-FD54C388C080.jpeg

City did not play a high press last season for the season. They used variants of pressing and screening.

I would want to break those figures down further. What is being measured by new opposition possessions? This could indicate that particular teams are superior at counter pressing - That is pressing the ball after it has been lost. Counter pressing can occur anywhere on the pitch.

If it was a measurement of breaking up possession (PPDA -Passes made per defensive actions) I would expect Millwall to be very low. They will sit in a low block and let the opposition have the ball for long periods.

If it is a measurement of counter pressing its no coincidence Leeds would be top. Bielsa influenced Gaurdiola, Klopp, Pochettino … The World.

Not sure whether it’s just my eyes deceiving me, but in the past few games i’ve seen us press a bit more than earlier this season.  Probably a combination with adapting to the new system and familiarity with it.  On the Webster thread a few comments that we are playing a slightly higher line too.

Could it not simply be more towards where Kalas and Webster are much more intelligent in their off the ball positioning?

Webster in particular is towards the top of stats for interceptions and tackles in the league atm, isn't he?

4 hours ago, Aipearcey said:

Many people, myself included have been saying that we don’t play our high pressing football last season but just seen these stats that suggest otherwise. Are we now just more efficient rather than having to make 30 yard runs to close players down?

084C5B5B-6ED9-4E6A-A8F3-FD54C388C080.jpeg

Hasn't done Ipswich much good though has it.

I don't pretend to study the game, or in game intricacies . I've admitted before, I get caught up watching City and can miss things.
One thing that is obvious the high intensity, full on, full time press we played while Reid was here is gone , but not completely. I did notice more focus on space, and angles, still trying to prevent an easy out. Though I thought Brentford by by-passed it well. Every now and again if someone sees an opposition player going down a blind alley, that press has comes back , not sure if there is any particular trigger, or it's more of a team ethic now, but it's good to see the individuals hunting as a team. 
With luck LJ is progressing through the team. Sort defence ✔️ establish press ✔️ get midfield and forwards firing  ? 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

ot sure whether it’s just my eyes deceiving me, but in the past few games i’ve seen us press a bit more than earlier this season.  Probably a combination with adapting to the new system and familiarity with it.  On the Webster thread a few comments that we are playing a slightly higher line too.

Maenpaa allows the team to play higher as he attempts to control the space behind the defence. This is not hyperbolic, Maenpaa can make more interventions outside of the box in one game than Fielding did in a month - City can then defend higher and closer to the ball and more adeptly control space. If the Keeper does not … Well they can't unless the defenders have exceptional pace . There is a tactical possibility here of the team being pushed far higher and controlling space further.. 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't pretend to study the game, or in game intricacies . I've admitted before, I get caught up watching City and can miss things.
One thing that is obvious the high intensity, full on, full time press we played while Reid was here is gone , but not completely. I did notice more focus on space, and angles, still trying to prevent an easy out. Though I thought Brentford by by-passed it well. Every now and again if someone sees an opposition player going down a blind alley, that press has comes back , not sure if there is any particular trigger, or it's more of a team ethic now, but it's good to see the individuals hunting as a team. 
With luck LJ is progressing through the team. Sort defence ✔️ establish press ✔️ get midfield and forwards firing  ? 

Its a form of full and half pressing. By pushing up they reduce the pitch and by forcing the ball sideways the ball is defended in say 20% of the pitch. Famara frequently does not take part in the pressing as he occupies the centre back and reduces the space.

Last season for a period everything followed Reid in pursuit of the ball as the first defender, or they dropped then followed Reid as the trigger.

The former makes a lot of sense without Reid .. Famara can't do the same and its debatable if any in the squad could. 

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Could it not simply be more towards where Kalas and Webster are much more intelligent in their off the ball positioning?

Webster in particular is towards the top of stats for interceptions and tackles in the league atm, isn't he?

Plus Kalas made the most interceptions of anyone on the pitch v Norwich. Could well be something in your point.

Agree on that @Cowshed - Maenpaa does seem better at coming out for sure.

Archived