IGNORED

Are we now almost as good as the team of 12 months ago

Top Robin

We aren’t as good going forward, with our high press of last season leading to more exciting football.

However, our game style this season will make us more consistent (as has been shown) and so I think we’ll finish higher this season than we did last

As the two posts above have rightly said , but one thing I will add. 
I think our current style is more sustainable , if we can add more cutting edge we could go on to better last year. 
For excitement and enjoyment , and for the sheer joyful football some of last year will be almost impossible to beat.

Think it will be interesting to see how the likes of O’Dowda develop within this team style.  Think he’s been given responsibility to drive us forward with the ball and in the main has been a plus in the recent run.  If he can cut out the odd anonymous game, i’ll be pleased.  He has that something different we need to make chances, but needs to gain consistency.  Despite my criticism of him, I'm pleased LJ has found a team system and a role for Callum that that make use of his talents.

12 hours ago, Red Cloud said:

bearing in mind, every good run under LJ so far has been followed by a hideous collapse, I won't be holding my breath, would love to be proved wrong but LJ's record does not suggest he ever learns from his mistakes!

His first good run didn't.

Top 6 form over 1/3 of the season (until the end of the season) when he came in.

Followed by top 6 form at the start of 2016-17 for about a third of the season.

Even this season, we lost 4 in a row, but we won the games either side of that run, hardly a "hideous collapse"

43 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Top 6 form over 1/3 of the season (until the end of the season) when he came in.

Even this season, we lost 4 in a row, but we won the games either side of that run, hardly a "hideous collapse"

Top 6 form over 1/3 of the season (until the end of the season) when he came in.’

Untrue for what it’s worth 

For somebody so hot on berating people with stats and numerous arguments about ‘relegation form’ 

I’m surprised with your inaccuracy

For me, a lot depends on how he keeps players 'happy' with game time. He has a lot of players available to him now. Four centre backs, two left backs, two right backs fighting for game time. He also has the likes of Taylor, Watkins, Adelakun, Eisa all wanting minutes on the pitch. Keeping everybody happy will not be easy. (Especially if we bring more players in over the next few weeks).

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think it will be interesting to see how the likes of O’Dowda develop within this team style.  Think he’s been given responsibility to drive us forward with the ball and in the main has been a plus in the recent run.  If he can cut out the odd anonymous game, i’ll be pleased.  He has that something different we need to make chances, but needs to gain consistency.  Despite my criticism of him, I'm pleased LJ has found a team system and a role for Callum that that make use of his talents.

I think the lad is perhaps the most under-rated player in the squad. His work rate and defensive endeavour is unbelievable. As you say, maintaining consistency is his biggest challenge.  

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

38 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Top 6 form over 1/3 of the season (until the end of the season) when he came in.’

Untrue for what it’s worth 

For somebody so hot on berating people with stats and numerous arguments about ‘relegation form’ 

I’m surprised with your inaccuracy

He came in and had 16 games the first season.

Won - 7

Drew - 3

Lost - 6

Points 24

Average 1.5 per game (69 points over 46 games). Last season would have finished 9-11th (goal difference), 2016 9th, 2015 7-8th, 2014 9th.

Difficult to compare to last season as the skills of the squad very different. There are less goals having lost Reid, Flint and Bryan but we are getting more clean sheets as we have strength in depth in defence. Our last 'bad' run of 4 defeats started while Maenpaa was injured, and the last game in that run was away to Leeds where we only went behind after a sending off. In terms of defence we have ready-made replacements for everyone with the exception of Maenpaa (assuming Frankie not available) who has been outstanding and given confidence to the back four. I'm sure we'll lose another game soon but it will be interesting to see if we can bounce back from it this time. We need another striker capable of scoring goals in case Diedhiou get's injured, if we can then no reason why we can't challenge for the play-offs.

Compared to this season, last year we looked more likely to concede, but there was always the hope/expectation that we'd score at the other end. 

Whereas so far this year it's the opposite. I'm much more confident in our defence and goalkeeper, which does make for a slightly more relaxing afternoon. However we're much more blunt in attack and therefore some of the excitement has been lost. I can't see this current team being involved in a 5-5 like Hull at home.

Totally agree with @1960maaan that the current way we play should be sustainable. If only we can get more out of the attacking 3 positions behind Fam (who has been doing a much better job of keeping it simple and putting himself about much more over the past 6 or so games), I think we could up the entertainment factor without compromising the solid back line. 

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The same could be said about Brownhill. Against Huddersfield I thought he was outstanding and the best City player on the pitch.

Could it be that with Pack missing he was told to play in a more proactive way? 

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Source? 

It was on the official site dont you know....

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lee Johnson 

Unlike you not to have.the slightest idea what’s going on ..... 

Spot on.

“It was a great goal and I thought Browny was excellent. I asked him to play a more disciplined role and then he finds himself in the box so I’ll have a go at him for that [laughs]. No, it was a great goal after a couple of little riggles.

19 minutes ago, Unan said:

No we aren't, we were 4th this time last year.

And had recently beaten Manchester United to reach the League Cup semifinals.

If this team doesn’t hit a hideous run of form, then we will probably finish higher up the table than last season. That will show progress, at the moment it’s hard to say.

1 minute ago, BS2 Red said:

And had recently beaten Manchester United to reach the League Cup semifinals.

If this team doesn’t hit a hideous run of form, then we will probably finish higher up the table than last season. That will show progress, at the moment it’s hard to say.

Agreed we can better last year overall, but "are we now", definitely not.

Had we got a point say v Norwich then maybe another run could have started- assume the Derby and QPR results the same, then draw at Bolton and beat Sunderland and then we are fairly secure in the playoffs and confidence can grow.

We would have had to gamble less v Bolton and Sunderland, could have settled a bit more and suddenly before you know it we'd have been securely in the playoffs, and near the top 2 though maybe such a run would have been less spectacular than earlier in season.

Fact remains though we are 9 points worse off than last year but if- if- we beat Bolton, that gap is 6. Definitely less flair and intensity in our play though.

@downendcity Yeah, the relative lack of intensity gives it a more solid feel. I do wonder though about how things may have panned out if only we had dropped Flint back at 1-0 that evening...

Regards throwing away leads, the 2 worst for me Sunderland and Hull at home, absolutely- 4 points thrown away right there. Leeds away can sort of be understood a bit as their fans got them back into it and the 2 sort of fed off each other but at home v struggling sides 3 and 2 goal leads respectively...more conservative tactics applied at the right time see us win those games IMO.

15 hours ago, Red Cloud said:

bearing in mind, every good run under LJ so far has been followed by a hideous collapse, I won't be holding my breath, would love to be proved wrong but LJ's record does not suggest he ever learns from his mistakes!

1 hour ago, Super said:

Attacking is nowhere near as good as last season but defensively we are miles better.

Based on league position, there is little  argument that we are not currently as good as last season, but It's easy to forget that in the first half of last season, I remember much criticism of LJ because although results and our league position were good, in many games we were judged to be "lucky" to come away with a result as we had not played well. Then, of course, we came off the rails post Christmas.

There has been a noticeable change in playing style, reflected in us looking much more secure defensively as super comments. This change makes me much more confident that we will not collapse as we did in the second half of last season. Last season I also think that there was a reaction from the euphoria and high of the league cup run and especially the hammer blow loss to Wolves. This season there has not been the same issue , and when  we had the "blip" and lost  4 on the bounce, causing many to predict the start of LJ's latest slump, the reaction could not have been better.

Last season we could score goals, but in the second half of the season particularly, seemed unable to hold on to a lead. There seems a much stronger mentality about the team now and the unreal ability to not concede in the last 1/4 of games makes a huge difference, particularly as we are not prolific in front of goal. I can see us finishing this season stronger than we finished last.

Archived