IGNORED

Are we now almost as good as the team of 12 months ago

Top Robin

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Based on league position, there is little  argument that we are not currently as good as last season, but It's easy to forget that in the first half of last season, I remember much criticism of LJ because although results and our league position were good, in many games we were judged to be "lucky" to come away with a result as we had not played well. Then, of course, we came off the rails post Christmas.

There has been a noticeable change in playing style, reflected in us looking much more secure defensively as super comments. This change makes me much more confident that we will not collapse as we did in the second half of last season. Last season I also think that there was a reaction from the euphoria and high of the league cup run and especially the hammer blow loss to Wolves. This season there has not been the same issue , and when  we had the "blip" and lost  4 on the bounce, causing many to predict the start of LJ's latest slump, the reaction could not have been better.

Last season we could score goals, but in the second half of the season particularly, seemed unable to hold on to a lead. There seems a much stronger mentality about the team now and the unreal ability to not concede in the last 1/4 of games makes a huge difference, particularly as we are not prolific in front of goal. I can see us finishing this season stronger than we finished last.

I don't think this is the case at all, I remember the season before that everyone said we were playing well with Tammy but we got lucky in a lot of our early games. Then last season people were saying we've started well again but this time it's deserved and we look like a solid team.

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Top 6 form over 1/3 of the season (until the end of the season) when he came in.’

Untrue for what it’s worth 

For somebody so hot on berating people with stats and numerous arguments about ‘relegation form’ 

I’m surprised with your inaccuracy

6 hours ago, wood_red said:

He came in and had 16 games the first season.

Won - 7

Drew - 3

Lost - 6

Points 24

Average 1.5 per game (69 points over 46 games). Last season would have finished 9-11th (goal difference), 2016 9th, 2015 7-8th, 2014 9th.

Ok fair enough, close to top 6 form. I was going from memory of last time this came up and got it slightly wrong.

Still a sustained run of good form.

We lost Flint, Bryan and Reid, all who had goals in them. On the plus side Webster is a better defender than Flint, Kelly adds height to the back four which helps defending crosses and Weinman, well thats the problem position.

To answer the question, we are better defensively, but less threatening up front, this is a real problem against teams that sit deep such as Millwall, Rotherham etc.

If we could find a goal scoring/ creative no. 10 then I think we could seriously move on. Could a young man who played for Newport last night be another Reid?

12 hours ago, Colombo Robin said:

Was thinking about this myself. Last year strong in defence but leaked at the back. Now we seem to have sorted our our defence but are far too toothless up front. Which raises the question....if we had kept hold of Reid would we be now sitting in the playoffs? 

We`ll never know I guess but I suspect we could well have been. What has to be considered though is had we not sold him, would we have been able to spend on Webster, Kalas, DaSilva?

14 hours ago, Colombo Robin said:

Was thinking about this myself. Last year strong in defence but leaked at the back. Now we seem to have sorted our our defence but are far too toothless up front. Which raises the question....if we had kept hold of Reid would we be now sitting in the playoffs? 

It's possible Reid would have proven himself a one season wonder, we would be no higher and £9m out of pocket. We'll never know.

Much better defensively - particularly Maenpaa. I think SAF once said that a decent keeper is worth 12 points over a season. 

Attacking not so good (as has been stated here), but the 2 have not cancelled each other out, unlike last season (Sunderland, Leeds and Hull games for example)

A snapshot of our current position shows we are currently lower in the table than the same time last season, however we were already starting to slide, so the trend was down, whereas our current trend is up. 

I think we’ll finish the season higher than last - possibly even nicking a playoff place. 

Archived