IGNORED

Mark Ashton Q and A with Geoff Twentyman

Never to the dark side

41 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But, but, he wears a suit, and he uses the language of people in his profession and he doesn't stand on the terraces, buy pints for the lads or shout abuse at people in a Bristolian accent......     

Essentially your point is that people don't like him because he's corporate in his approach - that's not exactly true.

People aren't stupid, they know he has to be corporate. What people object to are easy things to cut out - using more normal turn of phrase (not just cliches or buzzwords). Not talking in riddles, not hiding away during periods of bad form.. if he cut out those things people wouldn't be bothered by him as much.

45 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

Essentially your point is that people don't like him because he's corporate in his approach - that's not exactly true.

People aren't stupid, they know he has to be corporate. What people object to are easy things to cut out - using more normal turn of phrase (not just cliches or buzzwords). Not talking in riddles, not hiding away during periods of bad form.. if he cut out those things people wouldn't be bothered by him as much.

All those criticisms detract from whether he is doing a good job or not, I think overall he is. If others think he isn't they should make specific criticisms, not focus on his inconsequential little foibles.

7 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

LJ said I think 1 in =2 out and 2 in =3 out so Eisa on loan as a given I think and probably Taylor too assuming it’s 2 strikers coming in . Both incoming probably on big wages meaning a big wage might need to be shipped out so maybe Fielding as we were looking at Preston keeper or Baker who is dropping down the pecking order.  

Bobby Reid back for a few months would be interesting, if we are going for it.

We are nowhere near being able to afford bobbys wages now. That boat has long gone, like people wanting us to get Tammy back. 

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

All those criticisms detract from whether he is doing a good job or not, I think overall he is. If others think he isn't they should make specific criticisms, not focus on his inconsequential little foibles.

Mrs Ashton is telling him to see the Doctor about that.

7 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

We are nowhere near being able to afford bobbys wages now. That boat has long gone, like people wanting us to get Tammy back. 

The same has been said of Sheffield United who are taking on Madine at £30k + per week as did Cardiff last season. It’s a gamble on promotion but only for a few months and much cheaper than a 3/4 year contract for a lesser player. We know Bobby is getting little game time and will probably be sold off after one season so pay his wages for 4 months he fits straight in perfect foil for Fam and a shot at the play-offs. Even if it didn’t work I could see SL sanctioning it.

23 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Yep. Think Tim Shires was saying that any club wanting to sign Tammy will need to beat his current £55k per week plus goal, win and promotion bonus that he is getting from Villa.

Just now, RUSSEL85 said:

You seen the goals to game ratio? It doesnt fill me with confidence. Fingers crossed they have seen enough in him.

Certain players don’t suit certain clubs or systems IMO. He done very well at Huddersfield. We seem to have a very good relationship with Chelsea though. Which can only be good for the future 

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Certain players don’t suit certain clubs or systems IMO. He done very well at Huddersfield. We seem to have a very good relationship with Chelsea though. Which can only be good for the future 

I hope your right, just need to trust the club on this one.

52 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It’s obviously a positive if fans warm to him too. A few less business speak cliches would do wonders for his popularity.

42 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

The same has been said of Sheffield United who are taking on Madine at £30k + per week as did Cardiff last season. It’s a gamble on promotion but only for a few months and much cheaper than a 3/4 year contract for a lesser player. We know Bobby is getting little game time and will probably be sold off after one season so pay his wages for 4 months he fits straight in perfect foil for Fam and a shot at the play-offs. Even if it didn’t work I could see SL sanctioning it.

Surely bobby isn’t worth 30k a week to us? you think that is probably well over double what’s our top players are on. 

Just listening to it now, seems pretty good tbh.

Da Silva, Palmer was one of the 2 referred to I am guessing. Good to hear he has been pushing hard on FFP too because as he said, it's not fair on clubs such as us who do the right thing not to have strong penalties for those who don't. Sounds like the business side of the club is in fairly capable hands between him and SL.

At the end of the day, plans might be in place for running the club, but we are still in a situation where we are buying players in who arent any better than what we have already got and spending millions doing it, and its happening on his watch. 

MA, LJ and a few others are making a great living, the players are making a great living but we arent actually acheiving anything, and we are getting to the point now that his players that hes signed are being moved on because they arent good enough. 

When results and signings back up the b.s corporate speak, then i will tolerate it.

45 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Surely bobby isn’t worth 30k a week to us? you think that is probably well over double what’s our top players are on. 

If a player makes the difference between top half and top six then what is £30k per week for a few months. I’m thinking Kasey will be close to that. Tammy’s move to Villa was with no loan fee just big salary so swings and roundabouts. If a player comes in at £30k per week and gets us to the promised land then it’s relative peanuts and promotion bonuses for the other players will mitigate any envious thoughts. 

8 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

If a player makes the difference between top half and top six then what is £30k per week for a few months. I’m thinking Kasey will be close to that. Tammy’s move to Villa was with no loan fee just big salary so swings and roundabouts. If a player comes in at £30k per week and gets us to the promised land then it’s relative peanuts and promotion bonuses for the other players will mitigate any envious thoughts. 

Just being in the top 6 wouldnt be worth a 30k per week loan, going up either auto or in the play offs would be worth it, and as good as bobby was last season, i can think that his signing right now would make that much difference to us

8 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Just being in the top 6 wouldnt be worth a 30k per week loan, going up either auto or in the play offs would be worth it, and as good as bobby was last season, i can think that his signing right now would make that much difference to us

Nine games unbeaten, a massively improved defence and all we are lacking is a Bobby type player to transform draws into wins and I think it might.

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

At the end of the day, plans might be in place for running the club, but we are still in a situation where we are buying players in who arent any better than what we have already got and spending millions doing it, and its happening on his watch. 

MA, LJ and a few others are making a great living, the players are making a great living but we arent actually acheiving anything, and we are getting to the point now that his players that hes signed are being moved on because they arent good enough. 

When results and signings back up the b.s corporate speak, then i will tolerate it.

Webster Kelly Kalas Maenpaa Dasilva Brownhill Odowda Eliason, Semenyo. Need any more. They got Diony wrong and he admitted it.

2 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Webster Kelly Kalas Maenpaa Dasilva Brownhill Odowda Eliason, Semenyo. Need any more. They got Diony wrong and he admitted it.

You seem to have forgotten engvall, hegeler, djuric, taylor, eisa, moore, geifer, kent and probably a few more that ive consigned to the dark parts of my mind that hopefully wont be visited anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, simon uk said:

You seem to have forgotten engvall, hegeler, djuric, taylor, eisa, moore, geifer, kent and probably a few more that ive consigned to the dark parts of my mind that hopefully wont be visited anytime soon.

I'd take out Djuric (injuries were unlucky), Taylor (cheap fee that been paid off with his contributions) and Moore (still only 21, Reid and Bryan were playing the same standard at the same age)

13 minutes ago, hodge said:

I'd take out Djuric (injuries were unlucky), Taylor (cheap fee that been paid off with his contributions) and Moore (still only 21, Reid and Bryan were playing the same standard at the same age)

Would also argue that Hegeler was undone by a mix of injuries and LJ's aversion to a true midfield central 3. Now perhaps he shouldn't have been signed in the first place but he showed decent ability when he first joined.

@ExiledAjax Veron was a great player in modern times, just didn't quite work for him in England. Happens.

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I can never understand the use of "failed" transfers as a stick to batter a manager. Ferguson, who for many is the greatest manager the modern game has seen, signed the likes of Bebe, Djemba-Djemba, Veron, Obertan and Ralph ******* Milne!

Yes but fergusons list of trophies means he actually achieved huge success, and had to rebuild his team on numerous occasions over 20 odd years. Lj has never won anything and anyone trusting him and ashton with say a 20 million transfer budget would be mad, based on what hes signed in the past.

Archived