IGNORED

Let's do our bit - starting with Saturday.

James

• Admin
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

My point has always been that that songs/chants composed on here are  simply never heard at AG........it’s a complete waste of time and yet budding composers still try..............:fastasleep:

Agree have heard more songs originate from the Yellow Submarine than from OTIB over the years

2 hours ago, City18 said:

I know it's been discussed before, but do you think it could be time for a chant section of the forum to be set up? HEAR ME OUT!

Past attempts have often been met with sceptical comments such as 'The best songs are the spontaneous ones' and likewise you get people putting suggestions simply because they've heard a song and change one word that is vaguely similar to a players name which also does not work ... to which we get several members of the forum criticising them without offering any constructive criticism, ways to change/improve their suggestion or making any suggestions of their own. 

I do however feel that more fans would join in if there were some creative and catchy songs, as seen by the above responses (peoples lack of willing to join in with the repetitive chants).

I know some song suggestions seem cringey when reading them at first, but I'm sure rather than slating peoples suggestions, if we had a forum page which encouraged song creation, people worked together to create songs and was a medium for showing the lyrics to songs for fans around the stadium then it could well kick off - be a tool to create more atmosphere. Furthermore, if people had a page to show what songs were going to be trialled at the next game then more people would be more willing to try and start new songs going.

My reasoning for feeling we need a chants page is that a lot of the famous songs that other clubs fans sing clearly have been choreographed and are not spontaneous song, and having thousands of fans singing a song like the Xabi Alonso song Liverpool used to sing to the tune of oh-bla-di oh-bla-da that everyone knows the tune to and had been cleverly written makes people more inclined to join in, creates a better atmosphere and it might encourage the less hardcore singing fans to join in.

Personally, I'm not a particularly creative song writer so may be hypocritical, but I'm not a massive fan of a lot of our songs. If together we produced a couple of class songs using the creativity of some of this forum then I'd be a lot more inclined to sing, as would a lot of others on this forum I'd imagine.

A chants thread crops up on here fairly regularly - it doesn't get pinned though so fairly quickly goes off the front page and disappears.

Here's the most recent one I can find:

24 minutes ago, phantom said:

Agree have heard more songs originate from the Yellow Submarine than from OTIB over the years

Iirc. they were an established group who all knew each other so could guarantee to have a reasonably large number join in if one of them started a song.

They'd probably even practiced new chants among themselves beforehand in the pub or en route to an away game.

Makes it much easier if it's a concerted group starting off a new song/chant than an individual or just a few.

32 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

A chants thread crops up on here fairly regularly - it doesn't get pinned though so fairly quickly goes off the front page and disappears.

Here's the most recent one I can find:

It would be good if this could become pinned .. Might inspire a few to give it a go!

• Admin
41 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Iirc. they were an established group who all knew each other so could guarantee to have a reasonably large number join in if one of them started a song.

They'd probably even practiced new chants among themselves beforehand in the pub or en route to an away game.

Makes it much easier if it's a concerted group starting off a new song/chant than an individual or just a few.

we knew many of the people we travelled with, but equally new faces were on board each journey

Certainly no different to sitting / standing around the same people on a matchday

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ummm...........the point of social media (otib) is to compose songs/chants that we never hear at AG?        :cool2:

No different to friends rehearsing a chant before a game. The difference is back then the crowd was more likely to join in. 

Now most of the gate avoids anything with foul language (society moves on). Keep on trolling though. 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

we knew many of the people we travelled with, but equally new faces were on board each journey

Certainly no different to sitting / standing around the same people on a matchday

Didn't realise you were a Subber phants.

Did you rehearse new songs beforehand on your way to games etc., or were they mostly off the cuff?

5 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

No different to friends rehearsing a chant before a game. The difference is back then the crowd was more likely to join in. 

“Rehearsing a chant before the game” .......jeez.......wtf?   

I cant ever remember rehearsing a chant or song in the old days - didn’t need to. The chants were well established or spontaneous.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

“Rehearsing a chant before the game” .......jeez.......wtf?   

I cant ever remember rehearsing a chant or song in the old days - didn’t need to. The chants were well established or spontaneous.

'Rehearsing' may be the wrong word but someone starting off a new song in a pre match pub and others joining in is hardly unheard of.

Spontaneous songs at matches tend to relate to action - or individuals - on the pitch, or the opposition.

28 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

Give the people what they want

ooooooooooo

do be do be do 

the older generation all around the ground will soon join in 

Happens occasionally with about 50 people joining in.

Although I do feel a return to majority established songs and minority 'ultra' style songs would create a better atmosphere, the balance is the othrr way round at the moment. There's a place for both.

The main thing is they're giving it a go.

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Do be do be do is done regularly and all generations around the ground do not join in. 

I haven't heard it sung properly for a long time.

Far too rushed these days, presumably by those who didn't know it originally.

Archived