IGNORED

Thatchers Heritage

Slacker

I have been know to indulge in the occasional drop of cider of the more traditional variety.I have in the past enjoyed the occasional Thatchers Heritage. I used to see it now and again in 2 litre? boxes but havent see it around for quite a while.Has anybody on here seen it recently?Preferebly not all the way out in Sandford.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

May sound daft but I am not sure they make it anymore?

Was it not replaced by "Stan"?

Possibly it was Phantom.Last time I saw it was in the Thatchers shop a couple of years ago.May be a good excuse to pop down that way again soon.

I am ashamed to admit I normally stock up in Cheddar and haven't made it to there yet despite promising myself for years I will get there.I think I will definitely make it this year.Have heard many many good things about it and don't know why I haven't made the effort.Too late for a New Year Resolution?

• Admin
14 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

If you like cider can I urge you to take a trip out to Wilkins Cider Farm. It’s in Mudgley which is just south of Cheddar.

Its a proper working farm but Roger makes the best cider. I can’t recommend the place enough. It’s superb. The chedder and Stilton he sales is also fantastic.

Cider is about a quid a pint and he lets you drink whilst you purchase. 

http://wilkinscider.com/

2 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

@Slacker I can’t recommned it enough mate. Only three pieces of advice really 1) take cash as they don’t take card. 2) try and get someone else to drive you. 3) buy the extra mature cheddar and some Stilton it’s superb. 

Thanks Zider.Definetly getting down there when I get a chance and will report back.Designated driver shouldn't be a problem as I can always bribe Mrs Slacker with some decent strong cheese.(No laughing at the back!)Looks great on the website too.

On 08/01/2019 at 11:25, phantom said:

May sound daft but I am not sure they make it anymore?

Was it not replaced by "Stan"?

"Stan" replaced Thatchers Cheddar Valley - or Thatchers Red as it was commonly called in these parts.

Great idea from the company.

Red used to be the default drink of many a cider drinker, and then they replaced it with something that was far sweeter than the original and no one would touch. 

2 hours ago, TomF said:

Cheddar valley is defo still made.

Stan is a branding for the old red stuff they brought out similar time to Haze - not with the same level of success 

OK, technically it's Stan's Cheddar Valley now. They did drop the old branding, but then brought it back with Stan's in front.

However they've totally changed the taste. Loads sweeter. Lost all the dedicated "Red" drinkers.

The rep who calls at our local told me they've all been made sweeter to sell more in the South-East market, which is the fastest growing one for the firm.

Sadly, it's losing them their traditional home market. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

OK, technically it's Stan's Cheddar Valley now. They did drop the old branding, but then brought it back with Stan's in front.

However they've totally changed the taste. Loads sweeter. Lost all the dedicated "Red" drinkers.

The rep who calls at our local told me they've all been made sweeter to sell more in the South-East market, which is the fastest growing one for the firm.

Sadly, it's losing them their traditional home market. 

Seem to remember Blackthorn employing a similar strategy.Didn't go very well for them and probably the reason why the awful Thatchers Gold is everywhere.

Archived