IGNORED

Kasey Palmer : CONFIRMED SIGNING

Dolmanator

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Got a feeling he’ll do well here if played as a 10. Low risk deal, so why not. 

We need someone who can link midfield to attack and will actually enter the penalty box off the ball with the intention of getting on the end of crosses and scoring.  If he can do those things, he will certainly do me.  

14 hours ago, RedDave said:

Strong, decent in air, will tackle and press a bit.  Scores goals. 

Negatives are losing ball in bad areas and end product. Latter is the biggest one for me.  Needs to improve consistency of end product and decisions. 

I like the signing though. The sort we need to make and then help improve.  I think Johnson main strength is one on one training and improving players so this plays to that. 

Very interesting, although I am intrigued as to why you think this.

Is this perhaps why Chelsea send so many of their young players here?

1 hour ago, TammyAB said:

Good news. If Johnson was right about the “one-in, one-out” policy then we’re likely to see Morrell go out on loan, or even permanently.

Why pick Joe Morrell to leave? I can think of other non consistent performers to leave instead of a promising Under 23 international.

50 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Interesting one, and another example of the Chelsea stockpiling that is totally destroying the game. He was never going to,  will never, play for the Chelsea first team. If he get's out of his head he is a Prem league player, and focuses on this move, he can make progress. This will benefit City. But these are the players that should have been left at clubs like Charlton, or released at 18 to go through the leagues. Of course we are trying to the same in the lower leagues, and it is understandable the need to get mens not youth football, but it makes an already biased system (financial) ever worse. There should maybe  be squad size limitations after 18 years old. 

You mean the stockpiling model that we have adopted ourselves. In the last few years we have seen a lot of youngsters  come in in the hope that amongst them there will be one or two good enough. That's the Chelsea way.

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Very interesting, although I am intrigued as to why you think this.

Is this perhaps why Chelsea send so many of their young players here?

Mainly going on his interviews and players interviews really but also know that some managers don’t do much one on one stuff at all. Johnson does a lot I believe and concentrates on the minutiae of the game. A lot of the training techniques like the drones and VAR are quite advanced.

Also you have to look at the players who have improved under him. It cannot be a coincidence that Bryan, Kelly, Brownhill, Pack, Reid, Elliason and, to a lesser extent, O’Dowda have improved a lot in recent seasons.

I look at other managers and don’t see as much improvement in so many players at other clubs.

In my opinion, Johnson’s main things to improve is confidence levels in a slump and setting up teams correctly from minute 0 rather than having to change at 45 or 60 mins

39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We play our youngsters though. Chelsea don't give many of theirs opportunities. But then they wouldn't be a top 4 quality side if they did play them.

We play more than Chelsea agree but the number who 'make it' is still a very low proportion. I'm not criticising the model. I like it - think it's the way to go if you've got the ability to do it. 

11 hours ago, Bicester Red said:

Just saying, what has been said

I hope the Blackburn fans are wrong and he just did not want to play for them (Even though that would be wrong. Paid a wage)

Watch this space?

I hope the Blackburn fans are wrong

From what I have seen he has had mixed reviews from Blackburn fans where he was played out of position and good reviews from Huddersfield where he played in the role we need him for.

Of course, surprise, surprise, you decided to focus on the negative reviews.

You won't have to watch him anyway though, and of course if he is really bad you may get your wish of a run of losses and a Manager sacking.

7 hours ago, stokes7 said:

Some players don’t fit with teams like someone said, an example is Lewis baker on loan at Leeds but looks like getting recalled because not getting played yet he did well on loan in Dutch league and is highly thought of from what have read in the past

Nixon reported last night that we’ve been asking about Baker as well. What’s the ruling on loans from one club? 

13 minutes ago, Saunders87 said:

Nixon reported last night that we’ve been asking about Baker as well. What’s the ruling on loans from one club? 

Someone posted something on here that suggested we could have up to 4 in the match day squad not including under 23's. I guess we would be ok but could get around it by taking the option to buy Jay Dasilva this window instead of the summer.

5 hours ago, citywest30 said:

You mean the stockpiling model that we have adopted ourselves. In the last few years we have seen a lot of youngsters  come in in the hope that amongst them there will be one or two good enough. That's the Chelsea way.

Nah

Ours is with a view to producing players , for us and then hopefully £££££

Chelseas is merely a warehouseing / income stream

5 hours ago, citywest30 said:

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Nah

Ours is with a view to producing players , for us and then hopefully £££££

Chelseas is merely a warehouseing / income stream

Yes. Ours is a young player model. We would never have a 25 year old out on loan in the same scenario as Kalas. We might send out so do e if that age because they were no longer in favour, but not one still waiting for first team footie. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes. Ours is a young player model. We would never have a 25 year old out on loan in the same scenario as Kalas. We might send out so do e if that age because they were no longer in favour, but not one still waiting for first team footie. 

What’s your vibe about Palmer Dave ?

6 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Interesting one, and another example of the Chelsea stockpiling that is totally destroying the game. He was never going to,  will never, play for the Chelsea first team. If he get's out of his head he is a Prem league player, and focuses on this move, he can make progress. This will benefit City. But these are the players that should have been left at clubs like Charlton, or released at 18 to go through the leagues. Of course we are trying to the same in the lower leagues, and it is understandable the need to get mens not youth football, but it makes an already biased system (financial) ever worse. There should maybe  be squad size limitations after 18 years old. 

You only have to see the fees of these kids now:

£35mil bid for Hudson Odoi

£19mil for Solanke

Whats Da Silva and Kalas worth together? £12mil?

It easily pays back for Chelsea these days

Could be a good fit for us, I remember him being fantastic for Huddersfield during their promotion season playing centrally. It doesn’t sound like he’s been great for Blackburn but I think he’s mostly been playing out wide for them whereas for us I’d imagine he’d be battling it out with Patterson for the attacking midfield role. If we get him back to his Huddersfield form he’s 100% an improvement on what we’ve got but even if not hopefully the competition will make Patterson up his game.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What’s your vibe about Palmer Dave ?

Good vibe Bob. 

I think Pato has been better of late in the 4411/4141 system, but I don’t think he’s perfect for it. 

I wanted a more dynamic player in there. He’s got better range than Pato. Pato always wants to play in the pocket. Palmer will get beyond Fam, will hit the box, and will provide more energy.  Pato is a luxury no10 being asked to do a bit of midfield work, e.g. had to run backwards.

If you were playing Football Manager you would have Pato in a 4411 with a “back arrow” towards the midfield from his AM/10 position. 

With Pack as the DM, Palmer and Brownhill would have “forward arrows”.

Thats how I look at it. 

He is good technically and quick and will break past players rather than have to go sideways. 

2 hours ago, citywest30 said:

We play more than Chelsea agree but the number who 'make it' is still a very low proportion. I'm not criticising the model. I like it - think it's the way to go if you've got the ability to do it. 

The numbers who "make it" to first team regular at any club, have always been few. I'll give you two names from the past at City who fans thought, from reserve team games, that they were certain to become first team fixtures.

John Giles 1960's and John Bain 1980's.

There are hundreds/thousands every year who fail to clear the last hurdle.

Archived