IGNORED

Kasey Palmer : CONFIRMED SIGNING

Dolmanator

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good vibe Bob. 

I think Pato has been better of late in the 4411/4141 system, but I don’t think he’s perfect for it. 

I wanted a more dynamic player in there. He’s got better range than Pato. Pato always wants to play in the pocket. Palmer will get beyond Fam, will hit the box, and will provide more energy.  Pato is a luxury no10 being asked to do a bit of midfield work, e.g. had to run backwards.

If you were playing Football Manager you would have Pato in a 4411 with a “back arrow” towards the midfield from his AM/10 position. 

With Pack as the DM, Palmer and Brownhill would have “forward arrows”.

Thats how I look at it. 

He is good technically and quick and will break past players rather than have to go sideways. 

I can see why we have signed him / that style of player 

As I’ve said , he’s never impacted enough on games when I’ve seen him , a bit like Pato tbh

Has good feet , maybe hasn’t scored heavily enough to date

I’ve always had a vibe / concern over his hunger / real desire

Think how he fits in here, and his own attitude / hunger will be the game decider

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good vibe Bob. 

I think Pato has been better of late in the 4411/4141 system, but I don’t think he’s perfect for it. 

I wanted a more dynamic player in there. He’s got better range than Pato. Pato always wants to play in the pocket. Palmer will get beyond Fam, will hit the box, and will provide more energy.  Pato is a luxury no10 being asked to do a bit of midfield work, e.g. had to run backwards.

If you were playing Football Manager you would have Pato in a 4411 with a “back arrow” towards the midfield from his AM/10 position. 

With Pack as the DM, Palmer and Brownhill would have “forward arrows”.

Thats how I look at it. 

He is good technically and quick and will break past players rather than have to go sideways. 

Yep. Might not have been my first choice in that spot if you have me a list of 5 similar players(too early for me to come up with 5) but he would be on the list. Meaning think he suits how we are playing at the moment. I asked for a hard working 10 and that doesn’t mean he has to be box to box but he can do a lot of different things when compared to Paterson.

Think it is an excellent signing if he comes in for Paterson. Also if Paterson kicks on a bit more it is a success because don’t think Pato is being pushed. May train well but has no fear of not playing imo. 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’ve always had a vibe / concern over his hunger / real desire

Think how he fits in here, and his attitude / hunger will be the game decider

I hope it isn't another Tomlin type if we have any intention of signing him.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. But it's still too early to really know how many make it. I predict that O'Leary, Vyner, Moore, Semenyo and Janneh will make it. Kelly already has made it. Wouldn't be surprised if at least one or two make it out of Pring, Holden, Edwards, Morton, J Smith and Bakinson too. And Morrell looked decent in Ipswich and Huddersfield games. Eliasson and Walsh already look championship quality, who are like Moore in being 1-2 million pound punts. Like you say, it's the way to go. We seem to be improving in all areas of the club, so I wouldn't be surprised if the under 18 and lower age groups are stronger than previous seasons. We have Vanarama clubs asking for 16 year olds on loan. I like seeing our club doing things the right way.

I agree we seem to be doing it well at the minute and have spotted and developed some real talent but this time last year most of us would have had McCoulsky down as a nailed on one to make a go of it and see how that's changed. Of all those you've mentioned I still reckon only 2 or 3 will be regulars at this level or above.

Bob - you are right we have adopted their principle but done it in our own way, a better way where the main thing is developing talent for our own use unlike Chelsea.

Dave - What you say is spot on and just shows we're doing it the right way with a focus on young talent and making a decision before they get to 25 like Burns and McCoulsky. Pleased with that side of our club.

25 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I hope it isn't another Tomlin type if we have any intention of signing him.

I hope he’s a Tomlin type, a brilliant first 6 months of his time here would go down nicely!

Then we’ll offload him to Cardiff, where he’ll be sh1t. What’s not to like?

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A lot less than that, actually. Around half that in fact. Question will be, do they want to sign for us and/or will they get better offers in the summer...

When Kalas signed he was very non-committal. It was as if he’d accepted his role in the Chelsea Loan model, and it didn’t really matter where he played (other than wanting to play CB).

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A lot less than that, actually. Around half that in fact. Question will be, do they want to sign for us and/or will they get better offers in the summer...

For 2 players, one young LB aat England U21 level now and someone who is one of the top CB's in recewnt times in the Championship- that seems rather low...

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

For 2 players, one young LB and one who is one of the top CB's in recewnt times in the Championship- that seems rather low...

Yea seems low to me too. Even if Dasilva was under 2m(loads of add ons etc) it would still mean Kalas rated at around 4m. I read Fulham had an option to buy around 8m so surely he’d still be in the 6-8m range on his own?

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What makes you think it's half that? Wasn't Kalas valued 10m alone by Chelsea in the summer? 

It does seem like us and Chelsea are best pals at the moment tho... 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well that’ll be a case of Ashton and SL showing intent. If we’re looking to bring in the likes of Palmer and Bonatini this window, it might show Jay and Kalas that we’re a club looking up.

If this window is a repeat of last season however, then I wouldn’t blame them for moving on. I reckon last January might have made an impact on Bryan and Flint.

Right shambles.

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yea seems low to me too. Even if Dasilva was under 2m(loads of add ons etc) it would still mean Kalas rated at around 4m. I read Fulham had an option to buy around 8m so surely he’d still be in the 6-8m range on his own?

Ok, without giving away what I know (and what I don't tbf) I would still say the pair would cost around £8m, which would be great business. 

8 minutes ago, Sturny said:

What makes you think it's half that? Wasn't Kalas valued 10m alone by Chelsea in the summer? 

It does seem like us and Chelsea are best pals at the moment tho... 

Behind Frank Lampard's Derby? :whistle2:

Maybe we could get him on another season long loan if things continue to go well here and with them- they have loaned him to Middlesbrough for successive seasons and the same with Fulham. One more year of loan here for Kalas, sign Da Silva permanent then Chelsea can sell Kalas to whoever.

The £10m thing I've heard too and I doubt his value has plummeted here.

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Ok, without giving away what I know (and what I don't tbf) I would still say the pair would cost around £8m, which would be great business. 

I would guess the main stumbling block would be wages? I don't think we will go down the route of spending the reported wages Kalas is on at the moment (if he is on them), with the possibility of upsetting other players. I would also guess he would easily get a better offer elsewhere (wage wise) so would expect him to be gone at end of the season myself. Hope I am wrong and he stays though.

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agreed. At 8m I’d like both. Especially if we Kelly. Granted they’d add a fair amount to the wage bill but we seem more equipped to find money than find talent. Guess we need to show them both some intent this month with a few incomings. Sounds like a big window for LJ, MA and co. 

Also thanks for sharing. Good talking point whatever happens

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The numbers who "make it" to first team regular at any club, have always been few. I'll give you two names from the past at City who fans thought, from reserve team games, that they were certain to become first team fixtures.

John Giles 1960's and John Bain 1980's.

There are hundreds/thousands every year who fail to clear the last hurdle.

Add Frankie Artus to that...

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I remember when Marvin Brown became an absolute legend for us a 00-01 Championship management game. And what was the other young striker in the 90s or early 2000s? Scored goals for fun in the youth team and reserves, seemed nailed on to be a first team starter and then never made it and ended up playing local non-league football. I feel his first name may have started with a D perhaps...

14 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Ahh artus, the one fans used to hound johnson about not giving youth a chance, the one who was better then Marv and Johnson in midfield,

the one who turned out to be no where near football league status,

sometimes you just have to trust the club

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. But it's still too early to really know how many make it. I predict that O'Leary, Vyner, Moore, Semenyo and Janneh will make it. Kelly already has made it. Wouldn't be surprised if at least one or two make it out of Pring, Holden, Edwards, Morton, J Smith and Bakinson too. And Morrell looked decent in Ipswich and Huddersfield games. Eliasson and Walsh already look championship quality, who are like Moore in being 1-2 million pound punts. Like you say, it's the way to go. We seem to be improving in all areas of the club, so I wouldn't be surprised if the under 18 and lower age groups are stronger than previous seasons. We have Vanarama clubs asking for 16 year olds on loan. I like seeing our club doing things the right way.

Whats interesting is that, at the start of last season, one of the closest to making it seemed to be Freddie Hinds and he has already dropped so far from contention he isn't even on our list. It's so hard to predict how players develop but the fact there are so many young players with potential hopefully means at least some will. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I remember when Marvin Brown became an absolute legend for us a 00-01 Championship management game. And what was the other young striker in the 90s or early 2000s? Scored goals for fun in the youth team and reserves, seemed nailed on to be a first team starter and then never made it and ended up playing local non-league football. I feel his first name may have started with a D perhaps...

David Seal?

Archived