IGNORED

Kasey Palmer : CONFIRMED SIGNING

Dolmanator

9 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`d love to see it just to see what the bloke across the aisle from me who spends the whole game slagging him off does. He won`t even clap him when he scores!

I reckon he`d walk out in disgust if Pato got a hat trick!

How do you know?!

3 hours ago, billywedlock said:

A good gamble , as all January signings are . He cannot be worse than Kent or Diony 

Is that right, you know that for sure do you? I can remember those 2 having many plaudits a year ago..........they both messed up a fairly settled side after being shoehorned into it, and were worse than what we had already. :dunno:

Meanwhile one of our own runs a PREM Liecs defence ragged and cannot even get on our bench, would Lee be spending his own money on a loanee no better than what we already have?

Right I have removed a couple of comments which were taking us welcoming a new player way off topic, you know who you are. Maybe you would have posted and instantly had ‘posting regret’, but I’ve saved you the trouble.

Just saying this though, if similar posts resurface you won’t be able to have posts to regret. 

20 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Whats interesting is that, at the start of last season, one of the closest to making it seemed to be Freddie Hinds and he has already dropped so far from contention he isn't even on our list. It's so hard to predict how players develop but the fact there are so many young players with potential hopefully means at least some will. 

The reasons for not making it are complex. IMO, the major reason is not to do with football skills or ability. Mental toughness is where I believe most fail. Not intended as a slight on anyone but its the same in any walk of life. To get to the top of the tree us very hard and many fall off when the top is in sight.

22 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The reasons for not making it are complex. IMO, the major reason is not to do with football skills or ability. Mental toughness is where I believe most fail. Not intended as a slight on anyone but its the same in any walk of life. To get to the top of the tree us very hard and many fall off when the top is in sight.

I think this is spot on.  How many players with real talent have missed out on a promising career because of their attitude, or because they simply don't have the dedication needed?  I think of JET out in Thailand, or wherever he is, andTristan Plummer to name just two.  I have a friend who has a football statistics business and works with some of the big clubs both in the UK and in Europe and the States, and he has told me about players who are playing at quite a high level yet have little love for the game.  Andy Carroll was a name he mentioned recently...

3 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

Is that right, you know that for sure do you? I can remember those 2 having many plaudits a year ago..........they both messed up a fairly settled side after being shoehorned into it, and were worse than what we had already. :dunno:

Meanwhile one of our own runs a PREM Liecs defence ragged and cannot even get on our bench, would Lee be spending his own money on a loanee no better than what we already have?

I was quite enthused by Diony’s first 10 minutes....then he got nailed down the back of his Achilles by the corner flag.  Those 10 minutes were as good as it got.

15 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

As I have said elsewhere in the last day, it's a squad game and this is strengthening our squad in area that needed to be strengthened. It's a role that requires fresh legs and fresh minds, so I expect them to share the duties possibly every game, 65 minutes to 25 minutes on a vice versa basis. I think it would be a bit unfair on Patterson to drop him after a 9 game unbeaten run, which, like it or not he has been a key part of. People have questioned Pato's stamina even when he was playing well, and he is certainly no Reid when it comes to all action displays. It will be good for the Management to be able to say to him, "give us an hour or so and then we will bring on Casey" and vice versa.

Pato's biggest failing for me is his reluctance to stick his foot in, he will avoid a challenge if he can, gets knocked off the ball all too easily, probably picked it up from LJ who had a similar failing when he played. I think if Palmer delivers a bit of aggression in that position then we will become even harder to beat.

6 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Pato's biggest failing for me is his reluctance to stick his foot in, he will avoid a challenge if he can, gets knocked off the ball all too easily, probably picked it up from LJ who had a similar failing when he played. I think if Palmer delivers a bit of aggression in that position then we will become even harder to beat.

I am sorry but that is just bollocks, both the statement about Pato and Johnson. Alright neither player would be the type that you would describe as "likes a tackle", but they both know how to harass players to dispossess them without going to ground. Not every player has the physique necessary to get stuck in so you have to come up with your own method, which they have both done. 

I think your opinion on the both of them as players is completely wrong and your suggestion the Patterson plays the way he does because Johnson did is ridiculous.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was quite enthused by Diony’s first 10 minutes....then he got nailed down the back of his Achilles by the corner flag.  Those 10 minutes were as good as it got.

Agreed. I remember feeling the same and that late tackle was atrocious.

When any new signing makes their debut I watch them closely as that first quarter of an hour or so can make all the difference.

In the case of a new striker the crowd is excited when they come on and willing for them to impress, and hopefully score.

How they respond to the the first real chance they get - not whether they score or not,  but whether it's a good effort, at least -can be vital to how they settle in and are judged by both their team mates and the fans.

In Diony's case he had a reasonable chance early on and didn't take it even if, iirc, it was a reasonable effort.

Had he scored then who knows how his City career might have taken off - QPR must have been impressed by his first few minutes because as you say they were determined to nail him.

If he'd scored he'd have been roared off the pitch with the fans chanting his name and his confidence massively boosted.

As it was he 'failed' on a 1 on 1 and trudged off the pitch limping after a terrible late tackle not sure if he'd even be fit for the next game. Settling in time with his new team mates restricted by confinement to the treatment room and confidence - apparently fragile anyway in his case - perhaps deflated.

Small margins? Definitely imo.

One of the fundamental requirements of playing professional football is the ability to retain the ball or stop your opponent from running past you unchallenged, Pato struggles with both, take a minute to observe next time you watch a game, he is likely to be the only player on the pitch content to 'harass' as you describe it, he will avoid 50/50 contact. Physique has nothing to do with it and I am not talking about 'liking a tackle', just about competing for the ball and being harder to knock off it when you have it.

I was implying that LJ probably doesn't see it as a failing because he played that way, not that he plays that way because LJ did.

5 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

One of the fundamental requirements of playing professional football is the ability to retain the ball or stop your opponent from running past you unchallenged, Pato struggles with both, take a minute to observe next time you watch a game, he is likely to be the only player on the pitch content to 'harass' as you describe it, he will avoid 50/50 contact. Physique has nothing to do with it and I am not talking about 'liking a tackle', just about competing for the ball and being harder to knock off it when you have it.

I was implying that LJ probably doesn't see it as a failing because he played that way, not that he plays that way because LJ did.

In agree that especially in the modern game at this level and above, the idea is to stop an opponent getting past you, but I don't agree that this has anything to do with physical contact. I really hate it when I see our players taking up their defensive shape(s) when the opposition have the ball and the crowd start that inane "**** 'em up, get into 'em" chant, because thats precisely what they want us to do. Make a challenge and commit yourself, leave space behind. Of course there are times when challenges need to be made and I think our defensive record is better this season is because we have stopped retreating into our penalty area as much as before. Paterson does his bit within that style as did Johnson before him. I have to say that I thought that Johnson's style was far less suited to League 1 football, but I still consider him to be as underrated as a player by many as he is as a Manager.

Archived