IGNORED

Kasey Palmer : CONFIRMED SIGNING

Dolmanator

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

I genuinely don't know how I feel about this one, I mean if he does perform and becomes a must for the team sheet then come the end of the season we'll be losing yet another one of the players who starts for us. 

I've never been a fan of loans for this reason, if you find the right player it's great when you have an option to buy but if you don't you're just giving game time to another teams player, game time that could be invested into improving our own players. 

I guess it is what it is but I was hoping we'd been working on deals that will benefit us more than another team. If he nails down that spot Patto has then come the end of the season we could lose Dasilva, Kalas, Palmer and potentially Kelly, that would be half of our back line and a key position in attack. 

I suppose the thing is two fold:

a) We are in a much better position with FFP next season than this. 

b) Theoretically - and don't laugh - we could get a loan signing who edged us towards the play-offs and then it becomes worthwhile...

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

Looks the kind of player I'll enjoy watching but not sure how he fits into the XI - presumably in Paterson's place until he remembers what form is? 

You would hope but more likely means Paterson back to the left, Palmer in 10 and O’Dowda out ?

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Just to allay some of those fears. Last night Ashton confirmed that:

• Da Silva - we have an option to buy him at the end of the season. There is a pre agreed  fee already settled with Chelsea but we would have to negotiate his personal terms;
  • Kelly - we put him on a four year contract in the summer and have "no pressure to sell him" and have received "no firm bids".

He was more evasive regarding Kalas which suggest there isn't any pre agreed option there. Who knows what we have in place for Palmer but I would expect there is an option to buy on pre-agreed terms.

I didn't know that about Dasilva but I suppose that's a little comfort, however with Kelly if a club like Liverpool come knocking it's not a case of we don't need to sell him, it's more a case of how would we keep him happy having said no? If the Liverpool rumours of interest are true then I think it'll just be a case of finding a fee that we can agree on because who could begrudge the lad a move to a top 4 club in the Premiership. 

If Palmer has a pre-agreement and he can fit into our wages then there is no harm in this, but knowing Chelsea I can imagine that signing Dasilva or Palmer is not going to be a small chip in our wage bill. 

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Or, if he develops well here and same could go for Kalas but perhaps less likely in his case, we could get him back next season- Chelsea do have form for re-loaning players if it has been a decent stint and we clearly have a good relationship with them.

@Notbarrymanc More than happy to give him a fair chance and it's one fan only, so perhaps best disregarded. He did well at Huddersfield especially!

If he's signing then I'm happy to give him a chance but end of the day he's a player, he'll leave sooner or later, my concern is for the club in the long run. I'm always wary of loans that could just see us as a way to get their name out there so they can move on to what they consider someone bigger, usually a team we have to play against in the Championship. 

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

I didn't know that about Dasilva but I suppose that's a little comfort, however with Kelly if a club like Liverpool come knocking it's not a case of we don't need to sell him, it's more a case of how would we keep him happy having said no? If the Liverpool rumours of interest are true then I think it'll just be a case of finding a fee that we can agree on because who could begrudge the lad a move to a top 4 club in the Premiership. 

I agree that is the risk. But at least we know that if he goes this summer its on the basis that we need compensation for three years of future service. We should therefore at least secure good money for him, and with a decent sell on % as well. I'd recommend that you seek out last night's Sound of the City interview on BBC iplayer. Ashton went into quite a bit of detail around how the club approaches deals and gave some good insight into the kind of clauses we are able to negotiate.

28 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I suppose the thing is two fold:

a) We are in a much better position with FFP next season than this. 

b) Theoretically - and don't laugh - we could get a loan signing who edged us towards the play-offs and then it becomes worthwhile...

See, last season I wouldn't have laughed, we were playing great football, getting results, had a great cup run going for us and looked like we could push on to get promoted so investments like this would have made sense. This season seems more like a rebuilding season, we've taken some big name losses, replaced with a  temporary option with Kalas and we're looking to build for next season. 

If our home performances weren't so dire then I could genuinely see us being an outside chance at promotion but realistically we're on amazing form and still not moving up fast, there will come a point where that slows down and we have a patch of bad form too. I know that's not what people want to hear but until we have the performances behind the results we're still waking a tight rope. 

I think right now LJ is just using Chelsea to prevent rot whilst he identifies actual long term replacements. Its a fair enough plan because overpaying on players in the long run will do more damage. 

I hope LJ knows what he's doing with these loans or next season could be the same as this, looking for patches to keep us ticking over. I want to see the permanent quality replacements, until then loans are just going to make me wary. 

Totally off of that subject and more back to Palmer signing, we've been crying out for a creative midfielder and now I'm seeing a few saying that we don't need more midfielders, that confuses me. I'm not against more midfielders if they're creative, I just don't want to find the answer to that creativity and then see them go back to Chelsea and get a new loan at another Championship team we have to play against. 

43 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Ankle ligaments, more than once, and an Achilles injury that happened soon after this article in Nov.17.

Adam Webster has admitted he feared for his future as injury threatened to disrupt his second season at Ipswich, but now believes he’s finally hitting his stride at Portman Road.

Having missed much of the second half of last season after damaging ankle ligaments, Webster feared the worst when he was forced out of the Blues’ Carabao Cup clash with Luton in August with a similar problem.

The defender also missed significant time while at Portsmouth due to ankle trouble, with his latest knock sparking fears he may be labelled as injury-prone.

Thought you were talking about Palmer!

6 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

Wasn't he also a bit of a knob when they played us - got a bit of stick

Yep. Singing section took a dislike to something (couldn't tell what as I was other side of the ground).

In that game he was neat and tidy, and he has a good physique. But he toddled around at his own pace without affecting the game. At all. Much the same as he did at Huddersfield, from the little I saw of him there.

Hope I'm wrong but it's a "meh" from me.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Asked about Kasey Palmer on a Huddersfield forum, response was this.

"Likes driving his car around Sainsbury's car park...allegedly."

Is that a euphemism? 

How long was it since he was at Huddersfield? Probably done some growing up since then.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Is that a euphemism? 

How long was it since he was at Huddersfield? Probably done some growing up since then.

Think he was part of their promotion, so season before last.

Roughly a similar age to Tammy isn't he? And both (allegedly) having car 'issues' at a similar time.

According to Wilki., Palmer is out of contract at the end of this season and so, if all goes well, and it suits all parties he could be signed on permanently in the summer. Compensation would be due to Chelsea because he is under 24 and, for all we know, a fee may well have already been agreed.

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep. Singing section took a dislike to something (couldn't tell what as I was other side of the ground).

In that game he was neat and tidy, and he has a good physique. But he toddled around at his own pace without affecting the game. At all. Much the same as he did at Huddersfield, from the little I saw of him there.

Hope I'm wrong but it's a "meh" from me.

We just take a dislike to anyone that's not City coming into that corner. Even some opposition club physios got grief one time ?

Palmer reacted to it, and once that happens, they become even more of a target. He missed an absolute sitter against us that game!

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

We just take a dislike to anyone that's not City coming into that corner. Even some opposition club physios got grief one time ?

Palmer reacted to it, and once that happens, they become even more of a target. He missed an absolute sitter against us that game!

Think it got to Puncheon (think it was him) before he took a corner on Saturday too.

Worst corner I've seen taken, although matched for comedy value by Hamers goalkick shortly after.

Do we reckon this loan will involve an option to buy in the summer? It's an exciting signing imo, won't take to much notice of the Blackburn fans reaction but it shouldn't be completely ignored. Hopefully Johnson can get Palmer working like he did during his Huddersfield promotion season. 

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Think it got to Puncheon (think it was him) before he took a corner on Saturday too.

Worst corner I've seen taken, although matched for comedy value by Hamers goalkick shortly after.

Yeah headed away near post. 

It got to Sane the year before as well, but then he went and scored and gave us the ? afterwards. Enjoy that when they give some back! 

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

Yeah headed away near post. 

It got to Sane the year before as well, but then he went and scored and gave us the ? afterwards. Enjoy that when they give some back! 

I remember it getting to Sane a bit too, agree it's good when they give some back.

Was funny seeing on Twitter the next day Man City fans trying to claim it was racism towards him.

5 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Yes. Racism is a hotbed of humour. 

That's not what I said in the slightest, so don't twist what I said.

Sane wasn't booed because of his race at all, as has already been said, it's done to many players who take corners/throw ins in front of the South Stand/Dolman corner.

So the humour was in seeing Man City trying to claim something as a racist gesture when it very clearly wasn't.

The view of a mate of mine who works at the tip in Taunton and watches Blackburn home and away (s/t holder living in Somerset!!), 'He's crap, you're welcome to him'. Take these sort of comments with a pinch of salt usually, but this fella has seen him play every minute he's played for them this season! May well be City are a better fit for the lad. Sincerely hope so!!! Would be great to see him kick on at City!

Archived