IGNORED

Rowett Sacked

BobBobSuperBob

No great surprise he got sacked- but that aside, had a feeling him and Stoke wouldn't be quite the hit the media were predicting.

His reactive style with players such as Butland, Martins Indi, Woods, Allen, Afobe at this level to name 5- plus frozen out good ones like Bauer and Bojan- was never likely to be a good fit.

Sadly inevitable. I get why managers fancy the challenge but you do feel that Rowett, like Grayson at Sunderland and Heckingbottom at Leeds, was on a hiding to nothing from the start in the wrong environment and has done nothing but devalue his reputation.

I think, as so often, it highlights that it is about getting the right manager for the right club. I think far too often clubs draw up managerial wishlists, or managers go for jobs, without really thinking about the skills they need. Not all football clubs are the same and not all managers are right for all managerial jobs.

33 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

One of the very, very few I'd accept as an improvement on LJ. 

Wow, surely not.

The guy is an absolute mercenary, which was suspected but continues to be proven. He lapped up the sympathy after Birmingham seemingly canned him unfairly for a 'big name' but what's not so well known is that they looked elsewhere because he was looking for an outrageous release clause to speak to other clubs whenever he liked. Grass is always going to be greener to him and he's done a great job at hyping himself up to be something he really isn't and proven nothing when given the chance. Doubt he will get another chance at this level for some time.

43 minutes ago, Super said:

Would anyone still want him here?

He has a good CV although, when it comes down to it, arguably no more so than LJ. He has a reputation as a bit of a mercenary, which may or may not be fair, but he has a general record a promising manager he gets teams playing well but needs some promotions or similar in order to prove is potential.

But the key point is, as with any manager, we don't know. It's easy to come up with a list of names who might be a good manager here but it comes down to how well a manager gets on with the board, how well they fit in with the managerial structure, how they are at managing a team of our size and resources, whether they can get the best out the players etc. I think far too often people look at what managers have done at other clubs without thinking about the fact that doesn't always translate. Look at someone like Warnock for example. He's doing a great job at Cardiff but was a disaster in his second spell at Palace and a fish out of water at Leeds. Not all managers fit all clubs.

I actually think Rowett might be a reasonable fit here but, unless you sat down and interviewed him for the job, you'd never really know. What I am sure on is he needs to plan is next move carefully and choose a club where he can have a real impact. A second poor spell and his reputation will be in tatters. 

40 minutes ago, phantom said:

Lives more off of reputation, but when you look at what he has achieved in the game it is very little

Thought he did well at Burton, Birmingham. Derby alright with an aging side but reactive football. Works in certain circs that kind of game plan.

Put him in a Stoke with some of the best players outside PL (actually would query whether on paper they should have gone down last year) and an expectation to take the initiative and things can unravel rather quickly.

@Leveller Seems to have been the case quite often with us down the years- in that losing to us seems to have been the final straw! Reckon he'll be fine because of his considerable overachievement to this date.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Stoke paid Derby £2m compensation when they appointed Rowett and gave him a three year contract. He lasted 8 months.

What a waste of money.

Fantastic for Rowett. Being on the managerial roundabout and regularly getting sacked with compensation is a nice little earner

Archived