IGNORED

Lee Johnson - Stoke [Telegraph]

BessexRED

14 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

The calibre of a manager who has won nothing apart from League 1 promotion (so long ago it probably wasn’t called League 1 then) in his whole time as manager?  Crazy talk

He did a terrific job at Everton - which the Manchester United board seemed to respect more than you.

Clearly gone off the boil since, though job choices haven’t been great.

12 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

The calibre of a manager who has won nothing apart from League 1 promotion (so long ago it probably wasn’t called League 1 then) in his whole time as manager?  Crazy talk

While our manager has never won anything.....anywhere..........in any divisin.....................ever.    Nothing,nowt,nada zilch, FA 

29 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Everton are a huge club, he won nothing in 11 years, not even a league cup, 1 top 4 finish in 11 years, is that success for a club that big?  It might be for us but no way is that good enough for Everton.  They may have been worse before he came in and worse after, but so what, doesn’t mean he was some kind of genius.  The game is gone if we celebrate mediocrity like that.  

You've got to be on a wind up, look at the positions they were in before he took over. When we the last time Spurs won something, 10 years ago? And the last before that was 17 years previously, they're a lot bigger than Everton ever have been.

40 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Absolutely. As we all know, the only way to judge a manager is on what he's won.

So if I was Man Utd I'd sack off any idea of appointing Pottechino and go for a proven winner...  Jose Mourinho is out of work I believe?!

2 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Moyes turned Stoke down both in January and in the summer last year. He and the Stoke CEO Tony Scholes regularly play golf together, they know each other from their time at Preston many years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if he finally ends up there.

As punishment for loosing a bet on a game of golf maybe??

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Just to be fair

you say a "premiership" squad but they were relegated. So they weren't good enough for the Premier League. The likes of Crouch, Shawcross, Adam are past their best, even Joe Allen, Ashley Williams, Clucas, Ince there's a reason no one else wants them anymore.

I see a team of overpaid has-beens and not-good-enoughs that they will struggle to move on until their contracts expire.

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

How often does Bristol City appoint a manager who won multiple leagues / trophies?

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

you say a "premiership" squad but they were relegated. So they weren't good enough for the Premier League. The likes of Crouch, Shawcross, Adam are past their best, even Joe Allen, Ashley Williams, Clucas, Ince there's a reason no one else wants them anymore.

I see a team of overpaid has-beens and not-good-enoughs that they will struggle to move on until their contracts expire.

The point about the budget still stands though, admittedly whoever goes in there has to get rid of the deadwood you mention, but  the second set of names should still be good players at this level under the right manager and with the right supporting cast. 

******* hell, the Moyes revisionism by some fans is astounding.

Let's not forget that he had no money at all while he was at Everton, yet had built a rock-solid defence, and had purchased numerous players for peanuts thåt were competitive in the Premier League for years. The one expensive player he did buy went to Man Utd with him, and has been trusted by every manager since.

Let's also not forget that the second they brought in a young manager to replace him in Martinez, within a year he had obliterated their defence despite spenidng loads.

Sure, his time at Real Sociedad and Sunderland was a joke, but we're neither of those teams. This is the Championship, and if you think Bristol City is above him then you're a ******* moron.

With all that being said, as I've said time and time again, it doesn't really matter who we hire, because the club is determined to hire coaches, not managers. Moyes and many of the old guard are out-and-out managers, so even if he were available and interested, I don't think that Lansdown would hire him.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The point about the budget still stands though, admittedly whoever goes in there has to get rid of the deadwood you mention, but  the second set of names should still be good players at this level under the right manager and with the right supporting cast. 

At this level, I agree. It was simply the point about premier league squad I disagree with.

I also agree if the point you were making is that it might be a more attractive prospect in terms of money available. Depends what LJ values I suppose? This is "his" squad now at City (despite him saying we're still building) so there's pride to be had from achieving success with something you've developed

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

At this level, I agree. It was simply the point about premier league squad I disagree with.

I also agree if the point you were making is that it might be a more attractive prospect in terms of money available. Depends what LJ values I suppose? This is "his" squad now at City (despite him saying we're still building) so there's pride to be had from achieving success with something you've developed

Oh no, that wasn't my point.  I thought @Yellow&Blue&Red was saying how secure Johnson was despite being in a very similar position to Rowett, I was making the point that  LJ is currently doing slightly better than him with what on paper appears to be an inferior budget and squad. I don't think our squad is inferior btw, I am trying to put myself in the position of someone looking in from the outside. 

I would be shocked and incredibly disappointed if LJ was to jump ship in the middle of a project of which he has been a major part, to take on a job which on the face of it is a hiding to nothing. I honestly think that Rowett, might have been the only thing between where they are now and doing a Sunderland, there are a lot of similarities in those squads and the pressure at both clubs. 

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh no, that wasn't my point.  I thought @Yellow&Blue&Red was saying how secure Johnson was despite being in a very similar position to Rowett, I was making the point that  LJ is currently doing slightly better than him with what on paper appears to be an inferior budget and squad. I don't think our squad is inferior btw, I am trying to put myself in the position of someone looking in from the outside. 

I would be shocked and incredibly disappointed if LJ was to jump ship in the middle of a project of which he has been a major part, to take on a job which on the face of it is a hiding to nothing. I honestly think that Rowett, might have been the only thing between where they are now and doing a Sunderland, there are a lot of similarities in those squads and the pressure at both clubs. 

Agree about Rowett and I too would be surprised if LJ left us for them. He seems the sort that would like to see his project through and ultimately with us promoted (are we still on for europe in 5 years? maybe we're after the FA Cup this year)

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Agree about Rowett and I too would be surprised if LJ left us for them. He seems the sort that would like to see his project through and ultimately with us promoted (are we still on for europe in 5 years? maybe we're after the FA Cup this year)

Always Believe 

17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Agree with most of that, but Stoke as a Sunderland? Can't agree, they have a much better squad than Sunderland of a year ago for one IMO. Think Rowett's brand of football there was a decent part of the reason for their underachievement.

As for LJ, he's best where he is undoubtedly.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with most of that, but Stoke as a Sunderland? Can't agree, they have a much better squad than Sunderland of a year ago for one IMO. Think Rowett's brand of football there was a decent part of the reason for their underachievement.

As for LJ, he's best where he is undoubtedly.

It's debatable of course, but I see some similarities, a lot of overpaid players at the wrong end of their careers........... The next Stoke Manager can only take them in one of two directions really, so it is going to be a vital appointment for them.

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It's debatable of course, but I see some similarities, a lot of overpaid players at the wrong end of their careers........... The next Stoke Manager can only take them in one of two directions really, so it is going to be a vital appointment for them.

Butland; Bauer- Did alright for them in PL, Martins Indi- Holland international-played CL at Porto right side of 30, Pieters-Certainly should be capable of Championship LB), Allen, Woods- Enough said, Etebo- Good young midfielder, Clucas- Good experience of top 2 divisions and right side of 30, Afobe- Strong track record, Berahino- Yes been a poor transfer but potential to rebuild at this level, Bojan- One of their most skilful players if not their most badly under-utilised by last 3 managers recently.

Then you have players such as Ince and McClean. Bauer and Bojan basically frozen out incidentally.

On the flipside, Shawcross, Williams, Fletcher, Adam and Crouch all fairly old. Martina seems to be past his best even if not so old,

Not the best balance in the squad but should be doing a lot better IMO. Rowett has done roughly as I thought back in the summer- mismatch between players such as that with an expectation to dominate the League on them, and his management style.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Butland; Bauer- Did alright for them in PL, Martins Indi- Holland international-played CL at Porto right side of 30, Pieters-Certainly should be capable of Championship LB), Allen, Woods- Enough said, Etebo- Good young midfielder, Clucas- Good experience of top 2 divisions and right side of 30, Afobe- Strong track record, Berahino- Yes been a poor transfer but potential to rebuild at this level, Bojan- One of their most skilful players if not their most badly under-utilised by last 3 managers recently.

Then you have players such as Ince and McClean. Bauer and Bojan basically frozen out incidentally.

On the flipside, Shawcross, Williams, Fletcher, Adam and Crouch all fairly old. Martina seems to be past his best even if not so old,

Not the best balance in the squad but should be doing a lot better IMO. Rowett has done roughly as I thought back in the summer- mismatch between players such as that with an expectation to dominate the League on them, and his management style.

Literally just started watching the Sunderland documentary on Netflix and there are a lot of well known names in that squad, I wouldn't mind betting their fans were thinking they would be ok at the start of last season.

1 hour ago, El Hombrecito said:

You sir are clearly on a fishing expedition so I will leave it there. :robbored:

I’m not on the wind up, just my opinion, frankly I’m surprised by the Moyes love in, I really didn’t expect to encounter so many members of his fan club on here.  As I’ve said before, I’m no LJ lover and I’m not comparing the two, but I don’t think Moyes would do any better, he’s not done anything of note for years, and what he did do wasn’t IMO that great.  

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Literally just started watching the Sunderland documentary on Netflix and there are a lot of well known names in that squad, I wouldn't mind betting their fans were thinking they would be ok at the start of last season.

Time will tell I guess, I can see Sunderland and Stoke similarities but just think Stoke have a significantly better 1st XI and maybe squad but definitely 1st XI than Sunderland a year back, all about opinions as you say.

Moyes did a very good job at Everton, and did alright at West Ham last year, but I don't know that I think he's the right man for us right now. It's not about whether he's good enough - of course he is - but whether he is the right fit, which is less clear to me.

I don't think LJ would go to Stoke at this point. For all his flaws, I think he genuinely wants to learn and I suspect his goal at the moment is proving he can avoid the mid-season slump he has had here in recent seasons. I don't think anyone in football is loyal and I'm sure he would go at the right time for the right opportunity but I don't reckon he would see this as the right time and possibly not the right opportunity. 

43 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Time will tell I guess, I can see Sunderland and Stoke similarities but just think Stoke have a significantly better 1st XI and maybe squad but definitely 1st XI than Sunderland a year back, all about opinions as you say.

It think Stoke are definitely better than Sunderland and don't think they are about to crash out the division but I reckon the next eighteen months are make or break for them. If they don't go up this season or next then I reckon it will be sometime before they return to the Premier League. 

19 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It think Stoke are definitely better than Sunderland and don't think they are about to crash out the division but I reckon the next eighteen months are make or break for them. If they don't go up this season or next then I reckon it will be sometime before they return to the Premier League. 

Tend to agree with this. They will be in a huge hole if they don't go up next season at the latest- major, major cutbacks necessary.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well, there’s the kit for starters. 

Archived