IGNORED

Ryder Cup 2020

phantom

• Admin

Padraig Harrington will captain Europe when they defend the Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits in the US in 2020.

The Irishman, 47, was a vice-captain when Europe won the trophy back under the leadership of Thomas Bjorn in France in September.

Harrington played in six successive Ryder Cups from 1999 and was on the winning team on four occasions.

"I've won three majors in my career but taking the Ryder Cup captaincy is a different level," he said.

"I want to find an edge to get the players to perform to best of their abilities and hopefully get a win.

"I'm really conscious that I have to find the edge and add to it. It's going to take a great deal of my time over the next two years to do it."

Players including Rory McIlroy and Justin Rose backed Harrington to lead Europe at Whistling Straits, Wisconsin.

Harrington, who won the Open Championship in 2007 and 2008 and the US PGA Championship in 2008, has experience of the course, although he missed the cut when the PGA Championship was played there in 2010 and 2015.

The likes of former world number ones Luke Donald and Lee Westwood were mooted as potential captains, though Westwood - who was also a vice-captain under Bjorn - has indicated a preference for taking the role on at the 2022 event in Rome.

"It seems to be a natural progression and it feels like the right time in my career," added Harrington. "But just because it seems like the right time I didn't think I should just come in and do it. I thought long and hard about it.

"It's possibly easier to be Ryder Cup captain at home, but I realise it was good timing in my career and probably the best chance for the team in an international setting, going to the US having me as captain at this time.

"I have the support of the players, then it really came down to whether I wanted to be in the hat.

"I'm putting it on the line - we know when you're a successful Ryder Cup captain it's great and a losing captain - it's his fault."

Harrington, who is currently recovering from a broken wrist, becomes the second man from the Republic of Ireland to take on the captaincy, following Paul McGinley in 2014.

After winning the trophy under McGinley, Europe were well beaten 17-11 under the captaincy of Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke the last time it was contested in the US in 2016.

But a resounding 17½-10½ success under Bjorn secured a seventh success for Europe in the last nine Ryder Cup events.

The US are yet to name their next captain, with 1992 Masters champion Fred Couples and Steve Stricker - who was born in Wisconsin - among the leading candidates.

Talking of the Ryder cup, 2 friends and I played the Celtic Manor today. I no longer class myself as being able to play golf. ?

Jeez that was tough! Talk about needing to stay on the short grass, wow, you get hammered if you miss a fairway. 3 9's trying to be a smart arse.

Great course,  pity I couldn't do it justice. ?

Edited by Ska Junkie

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Talking of the Ryder cup, 2 friends and I played the Celtic Manor today. I no longer class myself as being able to play golf. ?

Jeez that was tough! Talk about needing to stay on the short grass, wow, you get hammered if you miss a fairway. 3 9's trying to be a smart arse.

Whats the yardage like for 'normal' holes? I've started playing more (played a few times a year usually) as there's no hope of my other sports atm, my local course is fairly short (I think...) today I took a 4 iron off any tee that was long enough to not have to use anything shorter as I don't trust my hitting with woods atm and actually went off the tees well.

14 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Always wanted to play it. Played the Montgomerie and Roman courses a few times. They used to do a cracking deal at Celtic Manor 2 rounds of golf with overnight stay / evening meal and breakfast for £99. Bargain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Super said:

Always wanted to play it. Played the Montgomerie and Roman courses a few times. They used to do a cracking deal at Celtic Manor 2 rounds of golf with overnight stay / evening meal and breakfast for £99. Bargain.

I've just seen that online, could be tempted next summer

• Like 1

Love the Ryder Cup just watching some old footage on Sky sports. Reminding me about this year’s competition. Ryder cup points up for grabs starting the 21st Jan. Be interesting to see how it develops over the coming months. Could Lee Westwood make the team after his impressive finish to last season. Looked like at one stage he was more likely to be a vice captain rather than a player. And what about the Postman can he deliver enough points to qualify or could he be a captains pick . A lot of golf to be played before the team is selected . But those 3 days of golf at the Ryder Cup along with Ashes Cricket are right up there in sporting occasions 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Last European Tour event being played at Wentworth before European team is finalised Sunday evening. Really looking forward to the Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits. American team already finalised and looking strong. Interesting to see who the 3 captain picks are

Poulter will be one I would have thought. He loves the Ryder Cup and always delivers (as they say)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Not a massive follower of the golf season in and out, catch the odd major but i do love the Ryder Cup. I'll actually go out of my way to follow Poulter when he's playing, bloke absolutley loves it, who can ever forget 2012 at Medinah...

https://www.golfdigest.com/content/dam/images/golfdigest/fullset/2015/09/30/560bf4524059ed5b442ecc33_Ian-Poulter-Ryder-Cup.jpg

That was a brilliant Ryder Cup. Poulter was unbelievable 

28 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Not a massive follower of the golf season in and out, catch the odd major but i do love the Ryder Cup. I'll actually go out of my way to follow Poulter when he's playing, bloke absolutley loves it, who can ever forget 2012 at Medinah...

https://www.golfdigest.com/content/dam/images/golfdigest/fullset/2015/09/30/560bf4524059ed5b442ecc33_Ian-Poulter-Ryder-Cup.jpg

That Sunday was probably one of the best days Sport i have ever watched.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Better player generally and also higher in rankings so shows has been better recently as well. I appreciate Poulter is mr Ryder cup though and it’s a very close call.  

Rankings are irrelevant in the RC. Westwood's form is pretty poor and you got the feeling listening to him he wasn't bothered whether he made the team or not.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Rankings are irrelevant in the RC. Westwood's form is pretty poor and you got the feeling listening to him he wasn't bothered whether he made the team or not.

They aren’t irrelevant. I don’t see anyone ranked 200 playing.  People often defy their ranking but that doesn’t mean they have zero relevance