IGNORED

SSN Article

Tinmans Love Child

15 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

It is a game of opinions of course, but I think Paterson has been playing pretty well as part of our 9 match unbeaten run. He commits defenders and looks to be positive. Sometimes it doesn't come off of course, but he creates space for others.

Pato has been doing better recently than in the previous 10 months, but for me flashes of good play are not enough, still not a patch on his pre illness form last season. So appreciate the comments made in the article.

Worst case scenario for me when/if Palmer signs and takes the 'in the hole' role, that LJ continues to try and accommodate Pato by playing him LM in preference to COD or Eliasson.

27 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Wow http://www.skysports.com/share/11601945

You didn’t hold back whoever you are, sure Patterson appreciates the comments this morning, he’s really going to try now I’m sure

Over the top reaction. 

Paterson was rubbish for about a year, and even though recently he’s improved, that’s still not saying much. 

Rob’s comments were certainly held back from what he could’ve said! 

Bristol City

Rob Fernandes (@BS3Rob) - South Bristol

Where does your team need strengthening?

We are weakest up front as we have not replaced the pace and intelligence of Bobby Reid and lost our aerial target in Aden Flint. A proven target man and someone to play in the hole, whose name is not Jamie Paterson, would both help.

Who do you need to keep hold of? 

England U21 left-back Lloyd Kelly is easily our hottest property but City have plenty of defensive cover. Centre-back Adam Webster and midfielder Josh Brownhill are battling for Player of the Season. But as we are so depleted in the centre of the park, losing Brownhill would be a disaster.

Who is your ideal signing?

No one. Under Lee Johnson, City have invested heavily in strength-in-depth and youth (and endless wingers). The manager needs to start using the best of all his squad options - Niclas Eliasson an example - for more than one game a month.

???????????

21 minutes ago, roddy-d said:

Bristol City

Rob Fernandes (@BS3Rob) - South Bristol

Where does your team need strengthening?

We are weakest up front as we have not replaced the pace and intelligence of Bobby Reid and lost our aerial target in Aden Flint. A proven target man and someone to play in the hole, whose name is not Jamie Paterson, would both help.

Who do you need to keep hold of? 

England U21 left-back Lloyd Kelly is easily our hottest property but City have plenty of defensive cover. Centre-back Adam Webster and midfielder Josh Brownhill are battling for Player of the Season. But as we are so depleted in the centre of the park, losing Brownhill would be a disaster.

Who is your ideal signing?

No one. Under Lee Johnson, City have invested heavily in strength-in-depth and youth (and endless wingers). The manager needs to start using the best of all his squad options - Niclas Eliasson an example - for more than one game a month.

???????????

What’s wrong with that? I fully believe Patterson has talent but has been very ineffective in the role he’s being asked to play.

Given he’s playing behind our attack line, what are his goals and assists stats for this year?

50 minutes ago, 054123 said:

What’s wrong with that? I fully believe Patterson has talent but has been very ineffective in the role he’s being asked to play.

Given he’s playing behind our attack line, what are his goals and assists stats for this year?

3 goals & 1 assist. 

Dack has 10 goals and 4 assists for Blackburn. 

Freeman has 5 goals and 3 assists for QPR

Lolley has 6 goals and 7 assists for Forest.  

Sears has 5 goals 4 assists at a struggling Ipswich

I agree with you that he's ineffective. 

43 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I think it was how it was said which is the problem for me, it’s rude quite frankly and insulting to both player and manager, and it’s published on SSN website!  Whether Patterson is any good or not is not the issue, but personally I think the comments (whether right or wrong) were juvenile in delivery

7 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

2 goals & 1 assist. 

Dack has 9 goals and 4 assists for Blackburn. 

Freeman has 4 goals and 3 assists for QPR

Sears has 4 goals 4 assists at a struggling Ipswich

Apparently he's scored 3 goals so far - Bolton, Ipswich, and Derby.

54 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Is he given freedom as a pure '10' though?

Some or all of these players- can either drop back into the central areas more readily or along the front line. Possible they are being asked to play different types of number 10 roles (and IMO we need one of the former- who is more comfortable with drifting between bona fide CM, CAM and a '10'). Paterson isn't that player.

I must admit I'm not a great Paterson fan but the there are better ways to put your point across,  but more shocked that he feels we don't need to bring anyone in!!!! a striker that looks interested for more than 10 mins a game would be nice... ?? 

13 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think it was how it was said which is the problem for me, it’s rude quite frankly and insulting to both player and manager, and it’s published on SSN website!  Whether Patterson is any good or not is not the issue, but personally I think the comments (whether right or wrong) were juvenile in delivery

I’m sure he’ll be alright. They were hardly scathing or offensive, just the feelings of a fan ?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is he given freedom as a pure '10' though?

Some or all of these players- can either drop back into the central areas more readily or along the front line. Possible they are being asked to play different types of number 10 roles (and IMO we need one of the former- who is more comfortable with drifting between bona fide CM, CAM and a '10'). Paterson isn't that player.

I just don’t think he wants to play there. 

It doesn’t seem natural to him and he often looks uninvolved.

Bit you’re right, I’ve no idea what instructions he’s being given.

14 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I just don’t think he wants to play there. 

It doesn’t seem natural to him and he often looks uninvolved.

Bit you’re right, I’ve no idea what instructions he’s being given.

Maybe Palmer can be the '1' in that shape, better suited than Paterson according to @Davefevs on another thread.

To me, play Paterson as a pure '10' like when he was behind Reid or if our current system doesn't allow, then as a highly useful sub option- one I wanted was Johansen from Fulham on loan as he would be very capable of filling that sort of role- '10', CAM and can drop back into a 3 and was good for 9-10 goals a season there over last 2 seasons and 8-9 assists, but he may have been unrealistic.

Oh come on. As if anyone is defending Pato here. 

Hes been rubbish for 12 months now. He might have picked up slightly in the last few games, but still nowhere near his best. 

Saying that, why put in the effort if you know you’re just going to be picked week in week out regardless. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe Palmer can be the '1' in that shape, better suited than Paterson according to @Davefevs on another thread.

To me, play Paterson as a pure '10' like when he was behind Reid or if our current system doesn't allow, then as a highly useful sub option- one I wanted was Johansen from Fulham on loan as he would be very capable of filling that sort of role- '10', CAM and can drop back into a 3 and was good for 9-10 goals a season there over last 2 seasons and 8-9 assists, but he may have been unrealistic.

Johansen would’ve suited us better last season when we were playing shorter stuff. Still a good player but I think he would miss the pass, move, triangle stuff the way we are playing  

This is where I think Palmer might fit in better....at this point in the development of the way we are playing. 

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

3 goals & 1 assist. 

Dack has 10 goals and 4 assists for Blackburn. 

Freeman has 5 goals and 3 assists for QPR

Sears has 5 goals 4 assists at a struggling Ipswich

Thanks for the stats.

Dack is a better player so no shame there but lagging behind Freeman, who he is perfectly capable of matching, tells its own story.

Fwiw, I can see why the manager continues to pick him - we are a solid enough team that just lacks a bit of creativity to unpick defences in the final third; Paterson is the only player in the squad with that creativity and, although not at his best, I think the manager is trying to play him back into form (he certainly won't rediscover it by sitting on the bench). That would be my guess as to why he keeps getting picked but what do I know.

Not sure Palmer is any more creative. I've never seen him as a player with that "x factor" but he's certainly a stronger, more robust, player and one who would add depth to the squad.

2 hours ago, Super said:

The problem is that Patto, COD and Eliasson don't have many goals in them which then piles the pressure onto Fammy to score. Hoping Palmer will come in and help with some goals.

Not sure about that.

Paterson has 3 from half a season.

Palmer scored 4 in 24 in the season Huddersfield were promoted, then got a long term injury and was fit again only in time for the play-off final.

Paterson back to his best PLUS Palmer would definitely improve us, although this would limit the opportunities for Elliason, Adelukan and O'Dowda - how would we feel about that?

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Pato has been doing better recently than in the previous 10 months, but for me flashes of good play are not enough, still not a patch on his pre illness form last season. So appreciate the comments made in the article.

Worst case scenario for me when/if Palmer signs and takes the 'in the hole' role, that LJ continues to try and accommodate Pato by playing him LM in preference to COD or Eliasson.

I agree Pato has been doing better over the past 9 games or so, but the thing for me about him is that he would be so much better if he just released the ball at the correct times instead of running into other players space. If his decision making was better, he would be a great 10. 

8 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

sure Patterson appreciates the comments this morning, he’s really going to try now I’m sure

Sorry to anyone it offended - not least Jamie Paterson, but I'd be amazed if he reads Sky Sports website. I mean who seriously visits it for anything other than the videos!? Sky insisted on heavily editing down responses and my bit was cut several times - until all nuance and balance was gone that might have implied a light-hearted sarcasm.

Yes Paterson has been much better for the past month and deserves credit for that, but I really don't think suggesting that we could try an alternative is particularly unfair. The turn of phrase was because his name always appears on the team sheet, and certainly not always when justified - I only suggested we might once see another name.

As much better as he's been, in the role we ask him to play I still believe he is the weakest link - lightweight, and (besides running with it) slow and hesitant in his thinking. At Stoke with time he spread play for our opener. But he also had a shot from the edge of the box that went for a throw in,  and didn't pick a pass twice when at the byline.

I don't dislike any City players (well Diony maybe) but given the potential youth and fringe players at our club, I've got less sentimentality for Paterson or Pack this season. Both have had long periods out of form this campaign, yet we played them both through it. This is a transition season, probably in mid-table, so why not try other things?

@EmersonsRed yes I totally agree. LJ is to be congratulated for fashioning recent results and with Paterson in the team, but the 'genius' was only loyalty and persistence.

9 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Wow http://www.skysports.com/share/11601945

You didn’t hold back whoever you are, sure Patterson appreciates the comments this morning, he’s really going to try now I’m sure

Agreed. Piss poor comment, and crap of Sky to print it. People know he's not been delivering, but keep it "in house" for me

Patterson’s recent improvement has coincided with a nine game unbeaten run. 

Its symbiotic Team and Patterson are playing better. 

Not the best time to be making nAtional statements but it’s a free country anyone is allowed to say what they like regardless of timing and accuracy. 

Archived