IGNORED

Spurs' new ground (Merged)

phantom

5 hours ago, just like watching brazil said:

Just £780 for the cheapest season ticket.

JUST!!! I know where you're coming from but sorry that is still a fair old whack, just shows what people have got used to paying doesn't make it any easier to swallow though. It's also the second highest in the prem and double the price of a lot of other teams cheapest ticket.

3 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I'm going to the first Senior game there against Palace next week. Quite looking forward to seeing it in person after all of the hype. 

how the hell did you get a ticket for that, heard they were going for silly money.

22 minutes ago, pillred said:

how the hell did you get a ticket for that, heard they were going for silly money.

Through work which has allowed me to secure my tickets before they've gone on sale. Not quite sure what they have planned for the 20 minute opening ceremony but it should be an interesting event nonetheless. 

37 minutes ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

What's the name of Tottenhams new stadium? All I've ever seen it called is 'Tottenhams new stadium' 

Pretty sure its the 'Tottenham Hotspur Stadium' at the moment with naming rights to be sold off.

13 hours ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

Their shop which will be the largest retail space of any in Europe makes ours look like a portacabin.

I can confirm it does having been in their shop, but then again whilst we are not Spurs we are quite poor compared to most other Championship clubs but to be fair a few of them are ex Prem.

10 hours ago, pillred said:

JUST!!! I know where you're coming from but sorry that is still a fair old whack, just shows what people have got used to paying doesn't make it any easier to swallow though. It's also the second highest in the prem and double the price of a lot of other teams cheapest ticket.

I think it was sarcasm

11 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

It does look lovely. Think it's shameful though that the White Hart Lane name is completely disappearing. They've even asked for the tube station to be renamed, so it will be completely gone.

I agree - another iconic stadium name disappears - and one of the grand old names of English football too....I know it’s progress and dosh and all that, but I really miss stadium names like:

Belle Vue

Millmoor

Dean Court

Leeds Road

The Dell

The Baseball Ground

Burnden Park

Boothferry Park

Ayresome Park

.....etc, etc, etc!

On 24/03/2019 at 17:16, Unan said:

Looks like a blue Emirates..

emirates-stadium-arsenal-north-east-stangun__1411130298_emiratesstadium_fisheye.

The Emirates is one of the most boring souless stadiums there is in the premier League. 

This stadium is just out of this world and I'd expect it to create an excellent atmosphere due to the design, unlike the Emirates.

Spurs new stadium is without doubt the most stunning stadium in England. 

23 hours ago, eardun said:

I didn’t even know you could fill your beer glass from the bottom until I watched this!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47687411

Why haven't we got this?

23 hours ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

What's the name of Tottenhams new stadium? All I've ever seen it called is 'Tottenhams new stadium' 

Rumours that it will be called the Nike Stadium.

On 25/03/2019 at 10:36, elhombrecito said:

It does look lovely. Think it's shameful though that the White Hart Lane name is completely disappearing. They've even asked for the tube station to be renamed, so it will be completely gone.

That said I bet the fans will call it the same. 

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:01, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree - another iconic stadium name disappears - and one of the grand old names of English football too....I know it’s progress and dosh and all that, but I really miss stadium names like:

Belle Vue

Millmoor

Dean Court

Leeds Road

The Dell

The Baseball Ground

Burnden Park

Boothferry Park

Ayresome Park

.....etc, etc, etc!

Saltergate (technically The Recreation Ground), Sealand Road, Feethams, The Old Show Ground, Maine Road, Highfield Road, The Goldstone Ground, The Vetch Field.

And, dare I say it, Eastville and Ninian Park

I miss `em too mate -many happy memories of epic away days.

A very average piece of architecture elevated to the size of a landmark - and that'll always impress people who are easily impressed. It's big and shiny so some people will love it.

As a football stadium it misses many boxes, but fair play to Spurs, they want to become a brand and they will with this events arena - but that's all it is. 

The single tier point - eh, I don't understand that - we have a single tier behind our goal and the atmosphere is, erm.... electric there? 

Of the new stadium developments in UK, Brentford is the only one that looks in any way intriguing and that feels like it could offer something else. 

10 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

A very average piece of architecture elevated to the size of a landmark - and that'll always impress people who are easily impressed. It's big and shiny so some people will love it.

As a football stadium it misses many boxes, but fair play to Spurs, they want to become a brand and they will with this events arena - but that's all it is. 

The single tier point - eh, I don't understand that - we have a single tier behind our goal and the atmosphere is, erm.... electric there? 

Of the new stadium developments in UK, Brentford is the only one that looks in any way intriguing and that feels like it could offer something else. 

Interesting comments. Please can you explain why you think it is a very average piece of architecture and it misses many boxes? I'm not knocking your view but genuinely interested to hear your reasons why.

In my opinion, with an ever growing focus on commercial revenues in football, I believe that they have ticked almost every box. Admittedly, it may not sit well with old school fans who grew up standing on the terraces, having smoke blown in the face by an opposing fan stood next to them. Given that football has been significantly sanitised and is now focused on the broadcasting market, the new stadium could only go one way. 

Hi @Coppello,

In terms of being average: yes, personally I think this stadium was a great opportunity to show a different point of view in terms of stadium architecture. The Americans are doing it (in some cases) with their football stadiums and creating concepts that look good whilst getting the 'feel' of football. I get the idea that their architects 'get' football, even if their fans don't. In Britain, I feel it's vice versa. This, almost, strikes me that Spurs told their design team, yes football will be played here, but so will many other things. It has a poised, careful balance that a football ground shouldn't have. 

In terms of missing boxes - again, strictly from a personal point of view, yes I think that. Not being tight to the pitch being key. The lines of the design being too clear and sleek reflects the experience they want to give, as well. I love with Brentford that their new ground - while it won't be a patch on Griffin - looks wacky (admittedly, I think their model has been half-forced due to planning restraints). And as a craft beer fan, even I'm mortified about the Spurs brewery! For me, this arena misses 'real'. A good place to take the wife and kids, but not a place you go with the lads to vent and swear and go nutty inside. 

I'm not from the modern world when it comes to football, and I'm definitely being mean-minded in this case, but as a frequent groundhopper this is one place that doesn't remotely thrill me. Not helping is the knowledge that stewarding / club rules / police will never allow the atmosphere to truly incubate. There might well be a roaring atmosphere there for the first couple of games, but that won't last. 

Maybe I will be proved wrong, if so I will happily be served humble pie and eat it from my hat!

44 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Hi @Coppello,

In terms of being average: yes, personally I think this stadium was a great opportunity to show a different point of view in terms of stadium architecture. The Americans are doing it (in some cases) with their football stadiums and creating concepts that look good whilst getting the 'feel' of football. I get the idea that their architects 'get' football, even if their fans don't. In Britain, I feel it's vice versa. This, almost, strikes me that Spurs told their design team, yes football will be played here, but so will many other things. It has a poised, careful balance that a football ground shouldn't have. 

In terms of missing boxes - again, strictly from a personal point of view, yes I think that. Not being tight to the pitch being key. The lines of the design being too clear and sleek reflects the experience they want to give, as well. I love with Brentford that their new ground - while it won't be a patch on Griffin - looks wacky (admittedly, I think their model has been half-forced due to planning restraints). And as a craft beer fan, even I'm mortified about the Spurs brewery! For me, this arena misses 'real'. A good place to take the wife and kids, but not a place you go with the lads to vent and swear and go nutty inside. 

I'm not from the modern world when it comes to football, and I'm definitely being mean-minded in this case, but as a frequent groundhopper this is one place that doesn't remotely thrill me. Not helping is the knowledge that stewarding / club rules / police will never allow the atmosphere to truly incubate. There might well be a roaring atmosphere there for the first couple of games, but that won't last. 

Maybe I will be proved wrong, if so I will happily be served humble pie and eat it from my hat!

Sorry, but how are you saying it’s not tight to the pitch. It’s as close as it feasibly can be, and was designed as such. It’s the tightest of all the big stadiums in Britain. 

Archived