IGNORED

Nine nil in a semi

steviestevieneville

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I didn't watch the game or see any highlights, but it does make me wonder if Man City could have really pushed the boat out and scored a few more, perhaps get to a 15-0.  Poor form from Man City!

What were the odds on Man City wining the game yesterday?  They must have been something like 1/60.

I remember the odds of them beating us by a winning margin of 4+ goals in the first leg alone was something silly like 11/10 with Bet365.

2 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

Seem to remember the City fans were cheering for St Albans towards the end and gave them a mighty cheer when they scored!

We did, as much to do with their approach to the game. I expected them to have 10 behind the ball, but nope, they played a high line and came at us all game. Mad and naive as it meant we completely murdered them on the break, but fun to watch, and they did deserve their goals.

13 hours ago, handsofclay said:

City knocked out 4 Premier League clubs on the way to the semi-finals, Burton have dispensed with one. We lost the semi 5-3 on aggregate, Burton are currently losing the tie 9-0 on aggregate with only 50% of it played.

Burton have knocked out four teams from higher divisions than their own in this league cup run, whilst also competing in both the  FA Cup and Checkatrade Trophy competitions before Christmas as well....and some on here complained that our run in just one cup competition left our boys knackered. Burton have done phenomenally well to get to a semi final....

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Burton have knocked out four teams from higher divisions than their own in this league cup run, whilst also competing in both the  FA Cup and Checkatrade Trophy competitions before Christmas as well....and some on here complained that our run in just one cup competition left our boys knackered. Burton have done phenomenally well to get to a semi final....

Agree to an extent, but City got through several rounds beating Prem sides and thrashing Plymouth playing mainly reserve team players and the likes of Freddie Hinds. Would Hinds get into the current Burton side? 

Using the Burton have achieved more argument in reaching the semi-finals, it could be said that our achievement in reaching the semi-finals in 1989 was greater than doing so in 2018 because in 1989 we were a 3rd tier side while last year a 2nd tier one. But I would argue that we never really met anyone of note until the semi-finals in 1989, even in the Quarter final we met a 2nd tier side, albeit away, and throughout played pretty well our strongest 11s. It is very rare that a non top tier side knocks out 4 top tier teams in a competition and then gives the 5th a run for their money. City did that. Burton have knocked out one top tier team and have not given the 2nd a run for their money.

4 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Agree to an extent, but City got through several rounds beating Prem sides and thrashing Plymouth playing mainly reserve team players and the likes of Freddie Hinds. Would Hinds get into the current Burton side? 

Using the Burton have achieved more argument in reaching the semi-finals, it could be said that our achievement in reaching the semi-finals in 1989 was greater than doing so in 2018 because in 1989 we were a 3rd tier side while last year a 2nd tier one. But I would argue that we never really met anyone of note until the semi-finals in 1989, even in the Quarter final we met a 2nd tier side, albeit away, and throughout played pretty well our strongest 11s. It is very rare that a non top tier side knocks out 4 top tier teams in a competition and then gives the 5th a run for their money. City did that. Burton have knocked out one top tier team and have not given the 2nd a run for their money.

Both are great achievements in their own right.

What I would say though, objectively- Burton are a tiny club. They are even among the smaller in League One, they were non League as recently as 2009 when they finally got promoted. Under 20 years ago, they were in the Southern League.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Both are great achievements in their own right.

What I would say though, objectively- Burton are a tiny club. They are even among the smaller in League One, they were non League as recently as 2009 when they finally got promoted. Under 20 years ago, they were in the Southern League.

None of the bolded bit is actually relevant at all.

Where they were 20 years ago bears no relevance to the quality of the team they use now, which is, as of today, the 9th best in the third tier.

They have done tremendously well to reach the semi final

1 minute ago, Undy English said:

I know it's still Man City and still a semi-final, but I do wonder what the return leg attendance will be like.

I honestly don't think Ashton Gate would have been full if we'd have dropped 9 goals up there first leg.

Considering the capacity is around 7k I still reckon it will be a sell out. 

11 minutes ago, Undy English said:

I know it's still Man City and still a semi-final, but I do wonder what the return leg attendance will be like.

I honestly don't think Ashton Gate would have been full if we'd have dropped 9 goals up there first leg.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Considering the capacity is around 7k I still reckon it will be a sell out. 

It sold out days ago

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelton said:

I believe I'm right I  saying City have never lost in  the FA Cup to a non league club. Rovers on the other hand........

I used to think we had never lost to a non-league side but we have done, once I believe. Something like 1920 Aldershot beat us when they were non-league. Sketchy on the details but it's something like that.

28 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I used to think we had never lost to a non-league side but we have done, once I believe. Something like 1920 Aldershot beat us when they were non-league. Sketchy on the details but it's something like that.

City have never lost to a non league side in the FA Cup. In 1920 City reached the semi-finals where Huddersfield triumphed against 9 men 2-1 at Stamford Bridge. Aldershot were formed in 1926 and joined the league in 1932. Between 1926 and 1932 City never met Aldershot in the Cup.

You might be getting mixed up with the Football League War Cup where Aldershot were one of the strong teams owing to being able to call upon a whole host of great players stationed at the barracks there.

21 hours ago, RumRed said:

Burton’s only hope is take the next leg to penalties, I think 10’s maybe a step too far.   Get the goals then defend, defend, defend.

Due to Man City's unbelievable strength in depth and total professionalism, I believe they'd still give Burton problems with 8 men.

11 hours ago, nick jones of hereford said:

First match that I saw was against Chichester in the FA Cup first round. We won 11-0 with John Atyeo scoring 5 goals

?

I was there as well and remember their goalie laughing when he took the ball from the net after the goal number 11.

4 hours ago, Undy English said:

All tickets would have probably been sold long before!

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

City have never lost to a non league side in the FA Cup. In 1920 City reached the semi-finals where Huddersfield triumphed against 9 men 2-1 at Stamford Bridge. Aldershot were formed in 1926 and joined the league in 1932. Between 1926 and 1932 City never met Aldershot in the Cup.

You might be getting mixed up with the Football League War Cup where Aldershot were one of the strong teams owing to being able to call upon a whole host of great players stationed at the barracks there.

Think you find we lost to Spurs in 1903 when they were non League 

Archived