IGNORED

W10 D5 L5 = 73 points - can we do it?

headhunter

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You can win a game 1-0 comfortably Mr P. 

I agree KITR and tbh I'd be aiming/hoping at a 2 or 3-0 win in this one. Just saying it's not always so straight forward. An early goal though and maybe the floodgates would open but not immediately. Possibly in such a scenario we would still be in some control and maybe Bolton would look to stay in the game until 60-70 mins in, still quite tough to break down and then we may capitalise when they open up.

27 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don’t think their 6-0 hammering is going to help us much. 

Often after a result like that, managers revert back to basics and their main focus will likely be to be tight at the back. 

I very much doubt we will lose on Saturday, but I don’t think that winning is going to be made easy after their last capitulation. 

That’s it ......

Clauses in early ......

If we were playing a Leeds , Derby , etc we’d be hearing ....well you can’t expect too much from Saturday against those sides

Lucky we ever get a point or , a win anytime really........ !!

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

Would rather we didn't make the play offs...would want us to go up in top 2 instead.

Always think it's hard the following season to motivate if you lose in the play offs. 

Can ruin some clubs.

I don't trust our reaction the following season if we didn't go up.

Some clubs yes, but given we seem to be being run the right way I'm not so sure it would happen to us.

Also making the playoffs would make us more attractive to potential signings and may help persuade Kalas and Da Silva (Chelsea's decision notwithstanding in the case of Kalas) that their futures remain here for another season. O'Dowda too. Possibly even Kelly for a bit longer but given how coveted he seems to be, don't know.

Would be great if we made the playoffs, but I can't quite see it this year.

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That’s it ......

Clauses in early ......

If we were playing a Leeds , Derby , etc we’d be hearing ....well you can’t expect too much from Saturday against those sides

Lucky we ever get a point or , a win anytime really........ !!

Welcome to the Championship, it's not just us btw.

39 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't think there's any doubt they'll come and sit back. They haven't scored in four of their last five away games.

All I'm saying is if we have top six ambitions then it's time to start putting teams like this away comfortably. 

It’s very important we score first, as their heads will drop, they will have to come out and play, and we can soak this up and hit on the break (like we do away), but let in an early goal and we will be up against 11 men in defence and will be tough

9 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It’s very important we score first, as their heads will drop, they will have to come out and play, and we can soak this up and hit on the break (like we do away), but let in an early goal and we will be up against 11 men in defence and will be tough

Exactly right, though I can't see Bolton coming out and playing straight away- they may try and stay in the game for a while before doing this so it could still require patience for some time.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Difficult to predict these as our away form is better than our home.

Well said. Our best performances this season have been away, and generally against clubs higher up the table.

Going on the first half of the season you'd actually expect us to drop points this weekend but then do well against Forest and Boro away.

Also note that our April and May run in looks tough at the moment. 

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some clubs yes, but given we seem to be being run the right way I'm not so sure it would happen to us.

Also making the playoffs would make us more attractive to potential signings and may help persuade Kalas and Da Silva (Chelsea's decision notwithstanding in the case of Kalas) that their futures remain here for another season. O'Dowda too. Possibly even Kelly for a bit longer but given how coveted he seems to be, don't know.

Would be great if we made the playoffs, but I can't quite see it this year.

Swings and roundabouts...think it raises expectations all round the following season.

As much as I want us to win every match, any thoughts of competing for a play off final is beyond where we are as a club, in truth we haven't progressed as much as we were promised, and some awful transfer dealings have put us back somewhat. There are shoots of recovery, but we are still a way off the mark to be considered anywhere neat Premier League ready. But when I look at Leeds Norwich

Villa Derby et all there is not one standout team that I feel could do OK in the Prem. We are getting our defence game in line, but still short in other areas,  happy to see good progress at the moment.

5 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

As much as I want us to win every match, any thoughts of competing for a play off final is beyond where we are as a club, in truth we haven't progressed as much as we were promised, and some awful transfer dealings have put us back somewhat. There are shoots of recovery, but we are still a way off the mark to be considered anywhere neat Premier League ready. But when I look at Leeds Norwich

Villa Derby et all there is not one standout team that I feel could do OK in the Prem. We are getting our defence game in line, but still short in other areas,  happy to see good progress at the moment.

And it's temporary with the loan signings  

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

It equates to 1.85 points per game which we have done more than once for an extended period under LJ's stewardship. 

It also equates to a 50% win ratio. Johnson's current overall win ratio with us is 39.1%. 

His draw ratio with us is 24.5% and obviously his loss ratio is therefore 36.4% (some rounding there).

So based on his existing ratios over the past 151 Bristol City matches he has overseen we will get an 8-5-7 record in these final 20 games. That will net us another 29 points, finishing on 67 - exactly what we got last season.

That could be enough for top ten but will likely see us fall short of the play offs.

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It also equates to a 50% win ratio. Johnson's current overall win ratio with us is 39.1%. 

His draw ratio with us is 24.5% and obviously his loss ratio is therefore 36.4% (some rounding there).

So based on his existing ratios over the past 151 Bristol City matches he has overseen we will get an 8-5-7 record in these final 20 games. That will net us another 29 points, finishing on 67 - exactly what we got last season.

That could be enough for top ten but will likely see us fall short of the play offs.

Time for some inspired transfer business then, Ajax...!

26 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Well said. Our best performances this season have been away, and generally against clubs higher up the table.

Going on the first half of the season you'd actually expect us to drop points this weekend but then do well against Forest and Boro away.

December looked tough , that didn’t go too badly.

If we finish higher than last season I'll be satisfied. 

Pre-season, I predicted lower-to-mid table anonymity - and that's still a real possibility. 

I'm not really thinking of the play-offs.

As Johnson always says (and in fact every football manager always says) you approach things one game at a time and just look at the opponent in front of you on the day. Scrutinising the tables, trying to work out likely point returns and what other teams might do, is a high road to nothing. Too many variables in this game.

In the cliche championship run in it's important not to get ahead of ourselves as you can't win promotion in January, but you can lose it..

We need to take each game as it comes, give all our opponents the respect they deserve and take nothing for granted. It's also important to remember that there's no such thing as an easy game in the championship, as anyone can beat anyone on their day.

We must avoid the players thinking that all they have to do is turn up against teams like Bolton. Of course there's still a long way to go and we all know that it's not over till the fat lady sings, so it's important to keep our focus and only worry about the next game as there will be a few must win games and 6 pointers before the end of the season.

There are bigger clubs and teams with better players, but once the players cross the white line it is just 11 v 11 so why shouldn't we have a chance? 

So, in conclusion, can we make the play offs? I'm not sure, as football can be  bit of a lottery ,but I am confident that whatever the outcome the players will  give 110%, leave nothing on the pitch and have no regrets. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This weekend will be a big one in this respect IMO.

We play Bolton at home, a Bolton in crisis. Meanwhile, the following fixtures all take place and can enable us to perhaps make up significant ground- so long as we fly under the radar a bit, it will help us...

• Birmingham v Middlesbrough
  • Leeds v Derby
  • Sheffield United v QPR
  • West Brom v Norwich

Looking at those fixtures for Boro and Derby we could quite easily be 2/3 pts off the play-offs come Saturday night ?

4 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

So when Kalas and Dasilva go back we are bereft of suitable replacements? 

Sorry but nonsense.

You're saying when Kalas and Dasilva go we won't be weakened defensively? Nonsense.

When they leave we won't receive any money to find replacements, we'll have to get lucky on loans again. We have other players in those positions but depth will be weakened..

32 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

49 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

December looked tough , that didn’t go too badly.

The only problem with looking at LJ's overall performance is his lack of consistency. 

The last 2 seasons can almost be measured in half season sequences and depending on which half season we have shown promotion, or near promotion form, or close to relegation form. As the Major points out, LJ also has an ability to confound current form , and fans' expectations, and particularly when faced with tough games and opposition.

This season is an interesting one. It started with a degree of pessimism following the departures of Reid , Flint and Bryan but the start was far better than expected, only to the stall with 4 defeats seeming to be the herald of another LJ half season slump. With most fans predicting a dire December, LJ once again confounded those expectations with a decent run, albeit with not completely convincing performances, and has carried that into the new year.

We do seem a bit more solid this season and less likely to "collapse" post Christmas, as happened last year. Few teams seem able to maintain extended runs at the moment, so it is not impossible that we could sneak into the play offs as LJ has a track record that shows he  ( and his team) is capable of going on the sort of run necessary over half a season. 

Funnily enough, the biggest danger to our chances might well be  not the tough games against our main rivals, but those against teams near the bottom of the table. As many others have commented, we seem to play better against teams that come at us, but struggle against those that play deep and defend - if we can get results in those games, then who knows what we can do?

13 minutes ago, Sturny said:

You're saying when Kalas and Dasilva go we won't be weakened defensively? Nonsense.

When they leave we won't receive any money to find replacements, we'll have to get lucky on loans again. We have other players in those positions but depth will be weakened..

You’ve obviously missed Mark Ashton’s interview from Monday..? 

6 minutes ago, Sturny said:

So you know we will not strengthen/ replace these players, what a strange point you are trying to make , why would we not look at this area in the squad?  Besides it its just not about quality of personnel in defensive positions more playing a system, that is what we have been doing for months, and is why we don't concede for fun. To repeat we have good defensive cover at the club, the issue is at the other end.

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

So you know we will not strengthen/ replace these players, what a strange point you are trying to make , why would we not look at this area in the squad?  Besides it its just not about quality of personnel in defensive positions more playing a system, that is what we have been doing for months, and is why we don't concede for fun. To repeat we have good defensive cover at the club, the issue is at the other end.

You’re equally saying we will find replacements with no problem either.. 

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The only problem with looking at LJ's overall performance is his lack of consistency. 

I'd actually argue the opposite. Looking at his overall performance across 151 games allows you to make an analysis without the burden of considering his inconsistency and streakiness.

If you look at his record as it happened then you're conclusion would probably be that we are about to embark on a 5 or 6 game losing (or at least not winning) run. By amalgamating all of his results into one big pot you get the raw data that shows how he performs "on average" with City.

Archived