IGNORED

W10 D5 L5 = 73 points - can we do it?

headhunter

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I did, what did he say that was relevant? 

Most pertinently - that we have an agreed fee option to buy Da Silva in the summer. We would need to agree personal terms but the deal is done with Chelsea. Personally I suspect he'll join us permanently in the summer, especially if Kelly leaves.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Most pertinently - that we have an agreed fee option to buy Da Silva in the summer. We would need to agree personal terms but the deal is done with Chelsea. Personally I suspect he'll join us permanently in the summer, especially if Kelly leaves.

Okay thanks so that’s 1 out of the 2, my point remains about Kalas

Just now, Sturny said:

It also sounded that they tried to have a similar agreement with Kalas, but nothing got agreed.

Same with Palmer, LJ and Palmer himself hinted that they talked about the summer, but nothing agreed.

5 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Chelsea have a habit of extending loans for certain fringe players who do well at a club.

Kalas had 1 and a half seasons at Middlesbrough and 2 at Fulham. Piazon had 2 seasons at Fulham- maybe we will get another season of Kalas on loan. ?

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

MA said as much on 20man recently but added “if he wants to stay of course”......

Next year for me is the big one. This season the Championship is incredibly competitive, and that's why even fewer points may see play offs achieved. There are a lot of clubs that need promotion this year or FFP is really going to bite them and hard - assuming of course it is enforced. 

Next season I think the Championship will be much weaker. The clubs battling relegation from the Prem don't look particularly strong, albeit they will have cash on the hip and be better placed than the likes of Stoke. But really Cardiff I wouldn't fancy to 'walk' this league, Fulham probably sans Mitrovic similar, Huddersfield/Burnley (expect Soton to survive), again competitive, but not stand out. 

Because we are FFP compliant - taking MA's words, if we can sneak the playoffs this year we would be quite attractive next year to new players. We shouldn't be FFP hamstrung, we will realistically have money to invest from player sales (I'd wager Kelly, Pack and maybe Smith off the wage bill) and more experience for our younger players. 

I know 'next year' is a bit of a Championship cliché, but I think that's the prime opportunity for us and I would like to see the club be a bit more ruthless. 

44 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The only problem with looking at LJ's overall performance is his lack of consistency. 

The last 2 seasons can almost be measured in half season sequences and depending on which half season we have shown promotion, or near promotion form, or close to relegation form. As the Major points out, LJ also has an ability to confound current form , and fans' expectations, and particularly when faced with tough games and opposition.

This season is an interesting one. It started with a degree of pessimism following the departures of Reid , Flint and Bryan but the start was far better than expected, only to the stall with 4 defeats seeming to be the herald of another LJ half season slump. With most fans predicting a dire December, LJ once again confounded those expectations with a decent run, albeit with not completely convincing performances, and has carried that into the new year.

We do seem a bit more solid this season and less likely to "collapse" post Christmas, as happened last year. Few teams seem able to maintain extended runs at the moment, so it is not impossible that we could sneak into the play offs as LJ has a track record that shows he  ( and his team) is capable of going on the sort of run necessary over half a season. 

Funnily enough, the biggest danger to our chances might well be  not the tough games against our main rivals, but those against teams near the bottom of the table. As many others have commented, we seem to play better against teams that come at us, but struggle against those that play deep and defend - if we can get results in those games, then who knows what we can do?

So can we do it, you haven't really answered the question, what is your opinion. 

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

So can we do it, you haven't really answered the question, what is your opinion. 

I think we can.

Now watch us lose to Bolton! :)

Forgetting previous win ratios etc, when I first read the question and thought would we only lose 5 games out of 20 I was pessimistic but if slightly switched to do I think we can win 11 out of 20 games I think yes - feasible on current form and seemingly harder to break down.

Then it is out of 9 other games can we get 2 points which seems more than likely.

So 73 points seems an acceptable but challenging target.

12 wins and we can lose 8 and still be on 74 points !! So we need to win 3 of every 5 games !!

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

Forgetting previous win ratios etc, when I first read the question and thought would we only lose 5 games out of 20 I was pessimistic but if slightly switched to do I think we can win 11 out of 20 games I think yes - feasible on current form and seemingly harder to break down.

Then it is out of 9 other games can we get 2 points which seems more than likely.

So 73 points seems an acceptable but challenging target.

12 wins and we can lose 8 and still be on 74 points !! So we need to win 3 of every 5 games !!

We have only won 3 in 5 in the league on one occasion this season (when we won 4 on the spin).  Of course, win on Saturday, and that’ll be twice.

Should 35 points be enough, then there are several ways to do it.

• 12 wins (8 defeats)
  • 11 wins 2 draws (7 defeats)
  • 10 wins 5 draws (5 defeats)
  • 9 wins 8 draws (3 defeats)
  • 8 wins 11 draws (1 defeat)

if i thought we we were gonna get those points I reckon, based on current form, it would be the 9W 8D 3L bullet above.

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We have only won 3 in 5 in the league on one occasion this season (when we won 4 on the spin).  Of course, win on Saturday, and that’ll be twice.

Should 35 points be enough, then there are several ways to do it.

• 12 wins (8 defeats)
  • 11 wins 2 draws (7 defeats)
  • 10 wins 5 draws (5 defeats)
  • 9 wins 8 draws (3 defeats)
  • 8 wins 11 draws (1 defeat)

if i thought we we were gonna get those points I reckon, based on current form, it would be the 9W 8D 3L bullet above.

3 in 5 is a 60% win rate. That would be a massive surge I form.

You follow Experimental 361 as well don't you. Are you as annoyed at me that he seems to have stopped doing the graphic where he predicted where each team was most likely to finish? I thought it was excellent and it proved pretty good, never giving us much of a chance of relegation when we were down in the bottom 1/4 and then last season not really believing the hype when we were 2nd. I'd love to see what it though of us this season.

I too follow Experimental 3-6-1, and read the website.

It had us with better underlying performances than results in 16/17 when we were in that long slump under LJ and that helped me believe we may stay up back then.

This Tweet was very accurate as well.

(Bolton eventually finished with 43).

C6Ttuo3XEAAFgel.jpg

Have to say for 16/17 the overachievement/underachievement graphic in broad terms looked pretty accurate!

@Mr Popodopolous

Then look at the one up to 30 Dec. Only match missing is the away win at Stoke. What it shows is that we were actually underperforming despite being on a 7 match unbeaten run. However, our expected xG took a bit of a nose dive in the latter parts of 2018. We might find it a struggle to continue this run unless we improve our underlying performances.

2018-12-30-Bristol-C.png?w=860&h=430

We can do it yes, but we generally do well in one half of the season, and not so well in the other (other than the relegation season, that was just a disaster throughout!) Also under Johnson, you never know if another run, whether it be a winning or losing one, is just around the corner.

Last January may as well not have happened for us, but with the signing of Palmer, and the reported interest in other midfielders, at least we are trying to address the obvious shortfalls within the squad. Pulling these transfers off is another thing though.

I remember the season Bolton last went down, they came to us in a mess, and left with a 6-0 hiding. I don't think it will happen again, but we need to come out and go at them from the start - get a goal and they'll get twitchy.

Back to the original question - so far this season, we've not been great, definitely not pretty, but we are where we are. Last season we ran out of steam, and didnt have the strength in depth to replace players when it mattered. Perhaps our start to the season means that the second half will be a bit more like last year (pre-Christmas), as we'll be able to sustain it more. We definitely look better at the back this year, and I think we would be able to cope better when teams hit us on the counter attack, if we were to play "more expressively".

The fact remains though - we arent the only club who could pull together the right run of results and get up towards that points target. The Championship is one of the more open and competitive leagues, and usually come April there are still quite a few teams in with a realistic chance of making the playoffs.

I've always thought that we were too good to go down this year, despite what others may have thought before the season started. We just need to get 2 or 3 key players in to push us onto that next level, and if we can do that without Johnson tinkering around too much, then I think we may just scrape the playoffs.

If we do, players like Kalas, Da Silva, and even Palmer (providing his Huddersfield form is repeated) will suddenly become very realistic signings for next season. We may have agreed a fee with Chelsea for Da Silva, but he'll still need to want to come here. Kalas I feel will only be likely if we are close to the playoffs, or even if we did get promoted. 

So many players also need to hit a good run of form. Fammy, for all of his critics, doesn't have a bad record for us. If he hits form, along with Brownhill, who at the moment is playing some great football, will be 2 of our key men.

If the recruitment is right, and the style of play is sorted, then I think we will make the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@ExiledAjax

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting but underachieving in what sense? in the sense that our performances despite yielding 7 unbeaten should have yielded better margins or vice versa? I'd say if that's the case, it's a positive as we might start getting more of what we deserve/what the underlying performances indicate. 

Yes you're correct. So even though we were unbeaten, our performances suggested that over that period our goal difference should have been higher.  Essentially a couple of those draws should have been wins.

But, there's a caveat. Whilst you could say that we should be expecting to see better margins in the near future - this would only be a reasonable conclusion if the red line was still at the +0.25 point. It isn't, which suggests that our performances have been deteriorating. People have noticed this - see the Brentford and Rotherham match threads.

On those charts the red line is your "expected goal difference" ie the goal difference you'd have if results went the way of your performance based stats.

The blue line is what you actually got. As football is ridiculously hard to statistically analyse these rarely match perfectly.

Over Nov/Dec last year our redline was coming back towards zero. It had been as high as +.25 goals per game. In the same games our actual gd was also coming back towards zero, from a low of -0.5.

It is all done on a ten game rolling average so on 30 Dec it counted our 7 game unbeaten run plus the three preceding defeats. These were Reading which we should have won, Preston I can't recall, and Leeds where we probably deserved to lose.

I know lots of people hate this kind of stuff but over a long period it does often prove a good indicator.

Obviously we can do it , I seriously doubt we will.
Now here is where having a streaky manager could be beneficial , if LJ were to get lucky and have the reverse January from last year then who knows. I don't know anything about the new lad, but we were very short in that area, shame Williams wasn't fit as those 2 plus the mysterious striker could have been just the boost we need. Thing is, who knows how any new boys will go, we hope for the best and at least any new additions are coming into a side in form, but last year tells us not to get our hopes too high. 

One thing, and it doesn't matter who we bring in , we have to start to win home games or it will be over sooner rather than later. 

8 hours ago, headhunter said:

I read recently that 73 points has been the average to finish 6th and therefore secure that last play off spot.

Not quite, we may need a few more.    The Championship 2016 - 6th placed team Sheff W amassed 74 pts.    2017 - 6th placed Fulham amassed 80 pts.    Last year Derby - 75

Statistical predictions are a bit of a waste of time and so many games go against all expectations.

You can't really look much further forward than the next game, except for considering resting players when some big ones are coming up.

We have to go into every game believing that we can win it and hopefully creep closer and closer to a top 6 position using an appropriate formation and tactical setup for each particular game.  I'm sure that this is the way LJ looks at it.

We do have a 50/50 chance of reaching the play off's in my view, but there will be some very good teams up there when it comes to the crunch and I don't think we are anywhere near ready for the Prem yet TBH.

Think we can do it. Our team is getting better and better, the defence is strong and with the new guy and a good striker in we can find another dimension in our way to play. LJ has been here now for a while and knows what it needs to be top six. Walsh coming back, Adelakunde, Eliasson, Watkins. We have many options in defence and attacking. Wright, Pisano, Dasilva, Kelly. Think we have 40-60 to reach top six.

Archived