IGNORED

Team For Saturday

healeyred

Maenpaa 

Hunt    Kalas      Webster   Kelly 

Pack    Brownhill 

O'Dowda    Palmer    Paterson 

Diedhiou 

Subs O'Leary  Baker Dasliva Adelakun Eliasson Taylor Weiman 

8 hours ago, healeyred said:

Maenpaa 

Hunt    Kalas      Webster   Kelly 

Pack    Brownhill 

O'Dowda    Palmer    Paterson 

Diedhiou 

Subs O'Leary  Baker Dasliva Adelakun Eliasson Taylor Weiman 

Suspect you may be right, but for me exactly what I don't want to see - Pato retaining a starting place by being moved to LM where he is so less effective than COD, Eliasson and even, dare I say, Watkins. 

Seems a bit nuts to me to be 9 games unbeaten just to switch to 3 at the back!

Personally speaking, this is our strongest team in LJ’s system:

Niki

Hunt Kalas Webster Kelly 

O’Dowda Brownhill Pack Eliasson

Palmer

Fammy

However I agree with above posters that LJ might not put Palmer in from the off so we may well see Pato there. Also, LJ does seem to favour Weimann on the wing over Eliasson so we could see that too. 

17 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Niki

Hunt Kalas Webster Kelly 

Palmer

Fammy

However I agree with above posters that LJ might not put Palmer in from the off so we may well see Pato there. Also, LJ does seem to favour Weimann on the wing over Eliasson so we could see that too. 

I think you’re right, many of us might pick your side above, but I think LJ will go with Pato over KP and Weimann over Eliasson to start tomorrow. 

Anyone picking Pato to play out wide need their season tickets taking off them. He can only play in the middle and even then he disappears during games. We need hard workers out wide. Eliasson on the right, O’Dowda on the left, Palmer in the middle. Let these 3 have a consistent run of games together.  

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson changes system. We looked far more creative when he brought on Taylor against Huddersfield and went 352. That's the best I've seen us look since being a championship side playing 352. O'Dowda looked superb in behind Famara/Weimann and Taylor. But I expect Johnson would prefer Pato in that attacking midfield role, and then bringing on Palmer for his debut. It would be a massive waste of points if we don't win this game. 

I also wouldn't be surprised - Hunt and Da Silva have shown they are more than capable going forward and I do not expect Bolton to come at us.

Playing 3-5-2 regularly would be a risk though because of how few, fit centre midfielders we have right now. Against more attacking opposition,  we have O'Dowda, Watkins, Elliasson, Paterson, Palmer close to fully fit at the moment, it would make sense to play a formation that utilises more than one of these players at a time, 3-5-2 doesn't do this.

The question to put to Johnson is, are they capable of creating chances and scoring goals when we have to focus on the defensive side of the game (playing a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-2-3-1 which he has favoured)? O'Dowda has proved he can, we hope Palmer can, (I can't believe I'm saying this but...) at the moment I think Paterson is the next most likely to create/score when we play a counter attacking game. IMO Taylor & Weimann aren't defensive enough so would be challenging Diedhiou for a place

Bolton typically play 4231.

Without Doidge, I suspect Magennis will start (hatrick last week v Walsall), but they Clayton Donaldson who could start....so no need for 3 CBs, unless we want to play like Cotts’s 352 did!!

I think this game will be about how effective we can be about getting down the sides of their CBs and dragging them out of the middle.  Beavers and Wheater will love an aerial challenge, and Fam will no doubt be subjected to an afternoon of WWF.

I’m surprised anyone thinks we will move away from the team that has provided a solid run of results. A tweak maybe, but LJ seems to have put his ‘Tinkerman’ phase behind him. I’d expect much of the line ups of recent games, depending on which wide man he thinks should start. 

That said, we’ve just signed someone who sounds like a number 10, so I’m guessing straight 4-4-2 with 2 men up top ?

2 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Niki

Hunt Kalas Webster Kelly 

Palmer

Fammy

Think in tougher games and vs more attacking/dangerous opponents, games where we may need to sit deeper, you could interchange Hunt for Pisano- IMO one has some better defensive attributes, one some better attacking but overall I agree with your side and especially tomorrow.

For those wondering where Palmer fits in, I don't think his joining us means we are going to see a diversion from the 4141/4231 we've been using. Should Palmer play we may see something very similar to the OP where Palmer play in the middle of a three behind Diedhiou.

Johnson said the following in the pre-Bolton presser (source: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/full-bristol-city-transcript-lee-2415638):

"Question: Kasey Palmer has signed for Bristol City. How do you see him fitting in at Bristol City?

I see him fitting in centrally. I like him as a 10 or an 8, depending on which formation we play, including three in the middle.

It’s something we’ve looked at - the cost of top class strikers is extreme at the moment going around the place.

So we’ve tweaked the formation and it’s been very attacking still. We’ve talked about that 4-1-4-1 or the 4-2-3-1 that gets you a 10 in there, and we’ve got a lot of energy and pace wide.

We’ve been scoring goals and keeping clean sheets in recent weeks, which has been good, and we want to add a little bit of sparkle that we think Kasey can do."

Then in answer to another question he said:

"Question: Do you still want to bring in another '9 and a half' player or another striker? Or is that Kasey?

I think he [Palmer] can play that role. And it’s interesting if you make a direct comparison with Bobby Reid: there’s a lot, sharpness, power, how they handle the ball, how they move in behind...

It will be interesting to see if Kasey has that natural instinct to come short and spin like Bobby had.

That wasn’t natural with Bobby, we worked on it but Bobby took to it like a duck to water. It's something that we might play around with but his main purpose will be to play 8 or 10, attacking midfield [position].

And it's good now because we've got very different attributes in there, with Marlon Pack steady and assured and good in the build-up play, and with Browny busy but he can also play that deeper one and Pato who plays that 8 or 12 role as well, and who can also play well, so there's quite a lot of options and there's a lot of mobility in our midfield.

And that's what I think you need at this level."

Regardless of the selection we are, according to our HC ‘ a young inexperienced team playing an experienced team’ !

Have I missed something, are we fielding the U18 team tomorrow?

I do wish he would stop the propaganda that we are ‘ young and inexperienced ‘ ! It is becoming embarrassing.

4 hours ago, Negan said:

Anyone picking Pato to play out wide need their season tickets taking off them. He can only play in the middle and even then he disappears during games. We need hard workers out wide. Eliasson on the right, O’Dowda on the left, Palmer in the middle. Let these 3 have a consistent run of games together.  

i love the idea of sitting at the ground and saying something stupid, and steward coming and asking you to leave and taking your season ticket. Empty ground pretty quickly?

42 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Regardless of the selection we are, according to our HC ‘ a young inexperienced team playing an experienced team’ !

I do wish he would stop the propaganda that we are ‘ young and inexperienced ‘ ! It is becoming embarrassing.

I hate  quotes from the book of excuses, cut it out Lee.

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

It isn't an argument without all merit. As of 30 December we had, on average, the 6th youngest starting 11, at an average age of 25.8 years. Bolton had the oldest in the entire division at 29 years.  Obviously we aren't fielding kids but we do tend to field a young 11 compared to most of the division.

Archived